Corsair Community

CPU Fan Header Not being reconized

Maverick_V6

Hello,

I built my first PC about 4.5-5 months ago and up until now everything has been working great. I own the ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger and am using the Corsair H100i v2. I allow the Motherboard to control the fans and have elected to avoid use of the Corsair Link software as I felt the Motherboard did a better job with cooling/fan speed utilization. Last week I started having issues with the Motherboard not recognizing my CPU water cooler. Never before had I had this issue. Upon boot up the BIOS alerted to ensure that the CPU fan is properly installed on the CPU_Fan Header or to adjust the fan speed to a low limit option. Upon hitting F1 to enter the BIOS I noticed that the CPU Fan was no longer being recognized by the Motherboard even thought the Cooler fans were operating as usual. I would gradually see the CPU temp increase over a couple of minutes to the point were the Cooler fans would be running super fast and the temps were reaching unsafe levels. I promptly turned off the my computer and took apart the cooler to see if the connections were correct and that there were no obvious leaks or malfunctions. I could not find anything obscure. I then reinstalled the cooler and turned on the PC. Unfortunately this led to the same result and I uninstalled the cooler again and again. After my 5th attempt and after trying the CPU-OPT/ CPU_FAN, and water Fan connections I reverted back to the CPU_FAN as the cooler is designed and after my 5th or 6th attempt the Motherboard miraculously noticed the CPU Fan and was working great. This lasted a total of 4 days. Now during a short gaming session I noticed the CPU cooler fans going full speed and that the CPU temps were going out of control. I am not sure how to best trouble shoot or resolve this problem. I'm not sure if this is a defect with my Cooler or if the CPU_Fan Header on the Motherboard is faulty . To me it seems like I either have a faulty cable or header connector. I would like some advise on this issue. Not sure if I need to run out and purchase another Cooler (although it appears to working correctly) although it simply does not appear to be recognized currently by the Motherboard. Motherboard BIOS is up to date.

Thanks for anyone's help in advance

It would be nice if it was just a cable defect, but then it would have been problematic from the start. You need to fill out a support ticket. The pump is intermittently losing power or is unable to move the water in those moments. It will likely need to be replaced.

https://corsair.secure.force.com/home/home.jsp

I will look to place a service request. If the pump isn't moving the water then that would explain the temperature issue. Doesn't make sense as to why the Motherboard wouldn't recognize the fans even spinning when they seem to function correctly. That is what leads me to think it might also be a cable fault or issue with Motherboard header.

Prior to the temps and CPU cooler failure yesturday the pump was being recognized and was keeping the CPU properly cooled. Weird. Hopefully it's a bad part. Thanks for your assistance.

It is possibly there is a wire glitch or motherboard issue. However, the wire problem should have been troublesome from the start unless it was damaged later. I would think the motherboard header would be consistently difficult if it is the problem. That could be tested by moving the H100i v2 to a another header and putting a case fan on the questionable CPU header.

Rather than a mechanical failing, it seems more likely there is an electrical issue within the pump. If the motherboard header was the issue, you would lose total power (pump and fans) at these moments. Instead, it sounds like the pump drifts off and the fans react to the increased temperature, as they should.

Archived