Corsair Community

I'm in the market for a new keyboard I guess...

Octopuss

I've been wanting to buy a mechanical keyboard for like two years or longer, but never found anything I'd like, mostly because of the layout (and some minor things). I have since given up on that ultra large Enter key, because apparently it only existed in small parts of the world. Compromises have to be made I guess.

Anyway, after looking at what's available these days, I migth give Corsair a shot. I strongly disagree with the ridiculous prices, because I could buy a damn Core i7 processor for what some of these keyboards cost (just WTF!), but it seems like there's no choice.

First thing first - can you confirm that Brown switches are the most similar to those found on classical membrane keyboards?

Now, I just want a plain keyboard without any additional gimmicks (if I can help it).

I don't need, wait, I do not WANT any additional macro keys (and especially not on the left side) or anything, I don't need USB hub, I don't need volume control etc.

I guess I want RGB lighting, but only because it would allow me to choose whatever colour I want - I don't need any elaborate effects.

I strongly dislike all those fancy modern ugly fonts, but if they keyboard is otherwise awesome for whatever reasons, I might be able to eventually get used to them.

I also want a keyboard that's not too tall - 4cm at the tallest point (not counting the height of the keys) is what my hands find comfortable.

What model would you recommend me to take a look at?

Last I heard was linear switches were the furthest from membrane feeling - and from my brief experience with black switches I think it's correct.

Well when i was at PAX West, people that were testing the MX Silent switch thought it was actually membrane and not mechanical.

I'll definitely have a look/touch when and if I get a chance.

Meanwhile, what are the main differences between K70 RGB LUX and Strafe RGB? It seems like the choice is down between these two.

K70 LUX RGB (Less affordable):

-Aluminum

-Media keys

-No white back-plate for brighter lights

-Updated Lighting Controller

-Comes with Wristrest

Strafe RGB (More affordable):

-Plastic (Cheaper)

-No Media Keys

-White back-plate for brighter lights

-Has a light bar on each side of the keyboard

-The Corsair Logo lights up

-Comes with Wristrest

K70 LUX RGB (Less affordable):

-Aluminum

-Media keys

-No white back-plate for brighter lights

-Comes with Wristrest

Strafe RGB (More affordable):

-Plastic (Cheaper)

-No Media Keys

-White back-plate for brighter lights

-Has a light bar on each side of the keyboard

-The Corsair Logo lights up

-Comes with Wristrest

Oh damn, Strafe is plastic :( I originally wanted Colada from Tesoro for this very reason, and K70 looked really awesome then. But the price tag is just something I refuse to support.

Strafe is it then I guess...