Corsair Community

ML120 might not be as good as SP120

slenda

I am not sure how you crafted that assessment from what is written.

"Under load at stock speed the H100i temperature is 60 degrees with the SP120L fans in Quiet mode and 51 degrees with ML120. In Performance mode both fans gave a temperature of 50 degrees.

When the Core i7 is overclocked the gap between SP120L and ML120 shrinks to 3-5 degrees in favour of the new ML fans."

I am a little surprised the ML has such an advantage at lower speeds. From blade design, I would have expected the opposite with the flatter SP series able to push more air through resistance at lower speeds. But that's why you test. 120mm fans are rarely linear in P-Q curves and you can be surprised. Regardless of the reason, the number one complain about SP120L fans is noise. The ML120 appear to be more efficient and less noisy at the lower RPMs most everyone wants to run. We know all fans are loud in the 1600+ rpm range. That's just how it is. Most people would upgrade for noise and visual interests alone. It would appear that is a small cooling benefit as well.

I want to try one. They are sold out everywhere. I wonder if Best Buy will ever get them? They do carry Corsair in their stores. BB only stocks the Thermaltake ring ,in a static pressure fan ,which is only 3-pins and the ring does not generate much light so forget that one.

I managed to get a pair of 140 mm ML fans from Amazon, during the brief time they were in stock). One day, I'd like to fit them to my cooler and see how they perform.

I would be glad to read your feedback about that.

I will most probably buy 2 ML 120 and install them on my H100i v2