Corsair Community

H115i with Asus Maximus VIII Formula - CPU fan headers

n7plus1

So, I'm having trouble deciding whether to connect the 2 rad fans to the corsair pump headers or to the motherboard headers. Which should I let control those 2?

For those not familiar, here's what the area looks like on the board

Also, the manual states to connect the pump power cable to the CPU_FAN header on the motherboard. In my case, should I used the W_PUMP header located at the top?

IMG_20160915_215126.thumb.jpg.63fa6b0166b55121fee6ec0b8be098a7.jpg

The CPU fan and CPU Opt Fan will work fine for controlling both fans either through the Asus bios or their AI-Suite 3 software, the Fan X-Pert portion, in Windows, which while buggy I recommend because you can set a fan delay so the it's not constantly spinning up and down when you open chrome tabs or such. Both headers are controlled in tandem since they're meant for dual fan coolers and will stay sync'd up.

The Water Pump header, while being meant to power an actual closed/custom loop pump will work fine for the pump header with the 115i as the only wire being connected from the pump is on the pin that reports back the speed of the pump. So you will need corsair link software to still control the high/low speed of the pump.

You may run into complications trying to run Corsair Link and AI Suite at the same time. You probably have to choose one or the other and realize giving up Link may affect your LED control or any other Corsair hardware tied in to the program.

The CPU or OPT headers are confined to CPU temp based control only and there are issues with the spin up/down delays on multiple Asus platforms when regulating by CPU temp, regardless of header location. Since the CPU/OPT headers are somewhat limited in functionality, it is the place to put the radiator fans if you take them off the H115i. The H115i plug can go anywhere when in that configuration and it no longer has much purpose. If you keep going with Link, keep the H115i header on CPU_FAN. Something has to be there and that header and OPT aren't very useful for other fan control. The water_pump header can be reconfigured in the BIOS to control other case fans normally.

I would suggest you start with the rad fans plugged into the pump block and the H115i lead on CPU fan as intended. This will allow the radiator fans to run based on water temperature as intended while also providing full cooler control. If you hate Link, you can ditch it later and use the alternate hook up.

I expect you will and Corsair specify you should not do this, see http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=651889

This is helpful. I had a similar worry as i realized something was happening there becuae corsair link and asus ai were showing different temps.

I think i will use asus ai as it has other uses. Then question is: if i open the corsair link and set the pump speed to max and close the corsair link, will the pump speed always stay at max? even after a reboot?

I had my H110iGT installed in a previous build, where Link worked, and set the pump to quiet and the led to blue. Now it is installed in my current system, using Fan Xpert (Link won't work) and it still appears to run on quiet and the led is still blue. This suggests (to me anyway) that if you set it up using Link, then set Link not to run at Startup, you can use Fan Xpert to control all your fans, cooler and case. I have mine set with a 12 second spin up/down delay and it seems to work well.

Be careful about using the setting to switch the case fans off below a certain temp, I thought it was great, lovely and quiet, until one of my HDD's packed up. When I removed it, it was almost too hot to handle, so now I have the front case fans on low all the time to cool my drives. The drive was a 2TB Seagate M001 series drive so it may not have been the heat that killed it, a 3 Tb M001 drive has since died as well, apparently they have a 32% or 38% failure rate, so if you have one, back it up now to a decent drive.

Archived