Corsair Community

How silent that "silent" means?

vargata

Hi there, im new to this forum and I came here to discuss really silent keyboards... I just wanted to buy the strafe rgb silent, then i listened to a recording and... c'mon, its like a steam hammer. ho matter how its advertised to be silent as long as it bothers the person sleeping next to me its not silent, it might be "not as loud" but its defo not silent. :confused: so why is that? ive checked what makes the noise on these keyboards and i have to admit they are not the switches, especially if you ring them they wont even bottom down so then what? well, as i see those are the blunt plastic housings and the loose fitting of plastic parts on each other. so if there would be a chance to build that so advertised SILENT keyboard just by watching more for the quality, why is that nobody is doing it? really $300 is not enough to pay for quality?

The Silent switches are just like Reds, but they bottom out at 3.7mm instead of 4.0mm. They don't have any padding to reduce the sound. That is the only difference.

Try out some O-Rings. I have them on my K95 RGB with Reds, and they are quieter now (but still not silent by any means). To get the quietest keyboard possible search for a slim membrane one, like the ones found on laptops. I have considered getting one only to use when my girlfriend is sleeping.

pls let me know if you have bought a slim one and its really silent. im going mad and thinking of buying a rubber keyboard, i will fix it to some solid pad to be able to use it in the bed... it would be so easy to create really silent keyboards if they would care for quality. anyway, both thermaltake and corsair have membrane keyboards and they are noisy as hell too :( i had no luck in finding anything that is even just close to silent. the problem with o-rings that they are solid rubber, they help somewhat but not too much.

Archived