Corsair Community

Corsair 100R and top fan mounts, planning to close them

Noinoi

Right now, my system has the H60 mounted as exhaust (just trying to keep an exhaust), and two AF120s at the front, and the stock fan stashed away as there's not really any incentive for me to put it on anywhere, at least not without a fan splitter.

With that said, the top case mounts are left empty, and it does seem like the exhaust H60 is causing some air flow to go from the top vents.

I'm thinking of covering up the top mounts in some way. What would be the best way to go about it, or should I try to obtain slim case fans and try to make them exhausts? There isn't too much clearance anyway when the H60 is being mounted as an exhaust at the rear anyway, and neither the AF120s nor the stock fan will fit the mount closest to the rear. (I'm also wondering if 15mm-thick case fans might fit under the top mount nearest to the rear, or if I should try rearranging the positions.)

Depending on your enviroment, you might want to get a top dust filter if the 100R does not have one. At a minimum, it would keep out some of the dust and may be quite helpful if the case is on the floor. If you really wanted to close the top off, you could tape some sort of thin solid, material to the back of it. Construction paper would probably work. It doesn't have to be exotic.

However, I would recommend you not close it off. There is a good chance the H60 (as exhaust in the rear slot) is drawing in some cooler external air from the top venting. This would benefit your CPU temps in combination CPU+GPU loads like gaming. I ran that set-up in a different case and my H80i brought in a ton of air from the top. It was the saving grace for an otherwise compromised system.

You could also put a slow turning exhaust fan in the top and compare the results. That might help a little with case ambient temp during gaming, but may be offset by slightly higher CPU temps. The only way to know is to try. If you do not have any temp issues now, I would leave it as is.

Depending on your enviroment, you might want to get a top dust filter if the 100R does not have one. At a minimum, it would keep out some of the dust and may be quite helpful if the case is on the floor. If you really wanted to close the top off, you could tape some sort of thin solid, material to the back of it. Construction paper would probably work. It doesn't have to be exotic.

However, I would recommend you not close it off. There is a good chance the H60 (as exhaust in the rear slot) is drawing in some cooler external air from the top venting. This would benefit your CPU temps in combination CPU+GPU loads like gaming. I ran that set-up in a different case and my H80i brought in a ton of air from the top. It was the saving grace for an otherwise compromised system.

You could also put a slow turning exhaust fan in the top and compare the results. That might help a little with case ambient temp during gaming, but may be offset by slightly higher CPU temps. The only way to know is to try. If you do not have any temp issues now, I would leave it as is.

I see.

Anyway, I was asking this question while trying a different configuration where the front, bottom intake fan (so the fan pointing towards the 3.5" drive cages) was moved to the available top mount as an exhaust fan.

It seems like from initial observations that this is able to reduce the video card's idle temperature significantly at a given set fan speed for some reason; I think from 45C to 35C, possibly less, if all fans except the video card (which is left alone at fans automatically off) are turned to the max. I'll do more formal testing with the video card running Unigine Heaven to see what works best in my environment.

The computer's on a desk; I don't think the storage devices are going to miss an AF120 blowing on them, no?

OK, we seem to be on a completely different question now. As for the original, regardless of how you decide to re-arrange your fans, I don't see an advantage to closing off the top. For everything else, you'll just have to experiment and see. Case fans are always inferior at cooling your GPU circuit board compared to the units own fans. Use one of the GPU tweak programs to control your GPU fan curve. You shouldn't ever need more than 60% on a 970 and that's on a heavy game. Even just a tiny bit of speed from the GPU fans (20% or so) will scrub 10C off your desktop idle temps compared to the 'zero fan' mode, if that's what's important to you.

OK, we seem to be on a completely different question now. As for the original, regardless of how you decide to re-arrange your fans, I don't see an advantage to closing off the top. For everything else, you'll just have to experiment and see. Case fans are always inferior at cooling your GPU circuit board compared to the units own fans. Use one of the GPU tweak programs to control your GPU fan curve. You shouldn't ever need more than 60% on a 970 and that's on a heavy game. Even just a tiny bit of speed from the GPU fans (20% or so) will scrub 10C off your desktop idle temps compared to the 'zero fan' mode, if that's what's important to you.

I see.

Either way, having a top fan forcing air out of the case did something to overall temperatures for... well, basically everything but the storage devices. Not shown is that the GPU was also able to keep its fan RPM down from about 1650 RPM to 1250. (I kept all case fans at the max to minimize variables.)

Seems like my case isn't getting enough airflow as it was. Turning on the GPU fans probably wouldn't help the CPU VRM, PCH, and motherboard temps. And I'm going to guess that after changing the fan arrangement, disabling zero fans might make the GPU run a bit cooler :)

http://i.imgur.com/qeagKxB.png

http://i.imgur.com/mzDkXNc.png

http://i.imgur.com/XKOd6gR.png

http://i.imgur.com/kt3JreS.png

http://i.imgur.com/Bijd4ns.png

http://i.imgur.com/DlBpcfq.png

http://i.imgur.com/0IAbLoZ.png

http://i.imgur.com/snkNB76.png

Well, pretty easy to pick a winner there. It looks like most of the changes are from a substantial reduction in case ambient temperature. You probably do not get enough exhaust flow with the H60 as the only outlet. A 80cfm fan does not move 80cfm through a radiator. Half would be an approximate guess and that's at full speed. Most likely you run the H60 fan in accordance with CPU temp, rather than exhaust needs. The passive venting from the top appears not be enough. I don't see anything to worry about with the HDD temperatures, unless you do a lot of frequent high volume file swapping. Even, then get another 120mm fan if you want it. Nice work with the graphs. Not everyone is so methodical.

"I don't think the storage devices are going to miss an AF120 blowing on them, no"

Until recently I ran my system with the case fans off for quite a bit of the time, then I had a hard drive fail. When I removed it from it's caddy, it was almost too hot to handle,so I have set my case fans to run at the highest quiet speed, which keeps my drives a lot cooler.

At the weekend I had another drive fail, both of the failed drives were Seagate Barracuda ST M001 models, 2Tb and 3Tb, which apparently have a failure rate of 32% (I wish that I'd known that before I bought them) so I don't know for sure that it was the heat that finished the first one but I'm sure that it can't be good for them to be too hot to handle.

"I don't think the storage devices are going to miss an AF120 blowing on them, no"

Until recently I ran my system with the case fans off for quite a bit of the time, then I had a hard drive fail. When I removed it from it's caddy, it was almost too hot to handle,so I have set my case fans to run at the highest quiet speed, which keeps my drives a lot cooler.

At the weekend I had another drive fail, both of the failed drives were Seagate Barracuda ST M001 models, 2Tb and 3Tb, which apparently have a failure rate of 32% (I wish that I'd known that before I bought them) so I don't know for sure that it was the heat that finished the first one but I'm sure that it can't be good for them to be too hot to handle.

These Barracudas appear to have problems of their own, apparently irrespective of drive temperatures (in fact, most HDDs should be fine up to the mid-50s). It might not be a temperature-related thing; a surface temperature of 40C or higher, while safe for the device, is clearly hot to the touch, I believe.

Besides, the only thing going on with my drive temps is that the HDD temps are 5C higher than it was with a fan blowing directly on it; however, it also didn't rise at all, so the case ambient temperatures are being kept in check. I'd favour getting the case's hot air out first before worrying about the storage devices.

Archived