Corsair Community

Corsair link or MB to control radiator fans?

Everborn128

I was curious what everyone used to control their fans for their water cooling? I've been using corsair link & it's ok I guess.. I have my fans hooked up through the pump with the Y cable right now. Corsair link shows this random fan at 900rpm spinning but also shows ONE h100i fan? I'm assuming the one h100i fan is BOTH fans? Curious if people are hooking their fans into their motherboard and controlling it from there instead? I have an Asus z170-ar.

It's your choice. Both set-ups work, but when you connect to your motherboard you are likely to run the fan more than needed or more specifically, change speeds more frequently than needed. The fans help remove heat from the water and they do not directly influence CPU core temperatures. When you set your radiator fans to CPU temp in the BIOS or AI Suite, the fans will jump and drop with every single core temp variation. This is quite annoying and also unnecessary on a water system. Now, the Asus boards have fan spin up/down delays to offset this irritation, but starting 6 months ago people began reporting the delays no longer work on the CPU fan header or anytime the variable is CPU Temp. This is also true on my Asus X99. You may have native BIOS fan delays (Advanced BIOS --> Monitoring Tab --> Scroll down). I do not know if those will be more successful and I have been unable to isolate whatever is causing the delays not to work. The problem is present across multiple platforms and operating systems.

Bottom line, don't take them off the pump unless you plan to not use Link. If you decide to forgo Link, be aware you may be giving up pump speed control and LED control.

Good info thanks, I've actually been running it off of CPU package with link but only let the fans range from 700-1150rpm because of the noise. They likely kick up and down often like your saying but I really don't notice because it's quiet either way. I guess I just have to accept my 6700k @ 4.5ghz runs hotter then my 2500k @ 4.6ghz.. Lol.

At some point, you should try putting it back on the H100i Temp group. However, since water temperature changes with room temperature (and seasons), most people need to tweak their fans curve a little in Summer to keep the fan from running unnecessarily high. Another option is to leave it in Quiet mode all the time and set a fixed speed for gaming. Something moderate and below the irritation level. That can help bolster exhaust and aid general case temperatures while providing more than enough air through the radiator. Sometimes the fixed speed is less noticeable than a frequent changes, even when at lower speeds.

Archived