Corsair Community

Question on H115i and Link/usb header cable

Peripheral

Does anyone know if I can forgo corsair link and the usb header cable and just run the pump and fans through the cpu header another way?

I know the sata cable powers both the pump and fans, so I should be able to control the cpu header just fine with uefi or ai suite right?

Im installing it tomorrow but was curious about this before i do.. Thanks in advance :)

If you connect the fans to a board header, you should be able to control them that way. The pump will draw its needed 12v from the SATA. This is a functional set-up, however there are some drawbacks.

1) The pump will operate on its own default programming. I am not sure we know a lot of about the default mode. It may switch from low to high speeds on its own. It may be stuck at either high or low. This is not a problem for functionality since both speeds are plenty effective, but the highest speed can be loud for some people.

2) No LED control. It also will follow the default setting, which I believe is white with a jump to red at warm water temps. It may not even do that without the USB.

3) There will be no way to measure water temperature. This is true for a lot of coolers and not a deal breaker, but it is useful when you need to troubleshoot system cooling issues.

4) You don't have to run Link, but it may be useful on occasion. The USB will be required to get anything out of the software. Keep that in mind if it's not physically possible to use it (no more headers, etc).

5) There is another software control option. See the Link section.

Edited by c-attack

If you connect the fans to a board header, you should be able to control them that way. The pump will draw its needed 12v from the SATA. This is a functional set-up, however there are some drawbacks.

1) The pump will operate on its own default programming. I am not sure we know a lot of about the default mode. It may switch from low to high speeds on its own. It may be stuck at either high or low. This is not a problem for functionality since both speeds are plenty effective, but the highest speed can be loud for some people.

2) No LED control. It also will follow the default setting, which I believe is white with a jump to red at warm water temps. It may not even do that without the USB.

3) There will be no way to measure water temperature. This is true for a lot of coolers and not a deal breaker, but it is useful when you need to troubleshoot system cooling issues.

4) You don't have to run Link, but it may be useful on occasion. The USB will be required to get anything out of the software. Keep that in mind if it's not physically possible to use it (no more headers, etc).

5) There is another software control option. See the Link section.

Thanks for the info!

Im just worried about a possible conflict between link and uefi/ai suite..

Water temps arent so much an issue so long as cpu temps are within spec i suppose, Im just wondering what the default speed is for the pump without a way to monitor it directly..

I wonder if i can disable fans in ai suite or something, then use link to control everything..

guess Ill have to wait till its installed and play with it after..

Thanks again :)

A conflict with AI Suite is highly likely. That program has deep tentacles and can interfere with many other monitoring programs. You may wish to install the cooler with USB cable as if you were going to run Link. That will give you the option of running the program, making changes, and quitting. There are a lot of people in this position. I am sure some of them can add to this. I have not tried to use Link on my X99.

You will be able to control fans from the board, but not the pump. You have to use Link or SIV for that and it will have to be USB connected. Since you have the Deluxe II, you do have the option of not using AI Suite without a loss. You will have complex fan controls in the BIOS with spin up/down delays. That is really the best AI Suite has to offer. It's not a good overclocker and very limited for that. It's a lousy monitoring tool and only polls some values every 5-10 seconds. You can't/shouldn't make BIOS changes from the desktop. If I could use fan delays from the BIOS on my generation 1 board, AI suite would be erased. However, I have had almost 2 years to come to that conclusion and it would be understandable if you want to try it out for a while. However, I would suggest you not keep Link and AI Suite running at the same time.

A conflict with AI Suite is highly likely. That program has deep tentacles and can interfere with many other monitoring programs. You may wish to install the cooler with USB cable as if you were going to run Link. That will give you the option of running the program, making changes, and quitting. There are a lot of people in this position. I am sure some of them can add to this. I have not tried to use Link on my X99.

You will be able to control fans from the board, but not the pump. You have to use Link or SIV for that and it will have to be USB connected. Since you have the Deluxe II, you do have the option of not using AI Suite without a loss. You will have complex fan controls in the BIOS with spin up/down delays. That is really the best AI Suite has to offer. It's not a good overclocker and very limited for that. It's a lousy monitoring tool and only polls some values every 5-10 seconds. You can't/shouldn't make BIOS changes from the desktop. If I could use fan delays from the BIOS on my generation 1 board, AI suite would be erased. However, I have had almost 2 years to come to that conclusion and it would be understandable if you want to try it out for a while. However, I would suggest you not keep Link and AI Suite running at the same time.

You my friend have been very helpful, cant thank you enough :D:

• 3 years later...

Been doing this for over 1 year now, I tore the fans out due to noise, and no usb cable to cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i

I haven't been playing any intensive games, but have had temps between 50-95C without any problems.

I read there might be some degradation over time of the chip, but heck I will just buy a new one if there is a problem.

I can't handle the noise you see.

To avoid getting error on boot, and having to go through the bootoverride I have made it ignore temps in AI suit.

My goal is not to play heavy games, I mostly write, read the papers, follow the stocks and do other stuff on the computer. Streaming ecc.

Edited by duskwood100