Corsair Community

VENGEANCE LED XMP Profile Not Working with ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Formula MB

distefano

Just installed a 32GB kit of the just released & shipped PC4-27700 (3466MHz) Vengeance LED memory - CMU32GX4M4C3466C16R

As soon as I enable the only available XMP profile in the BIOS (latest) the ROG Maximus VIII Formula motherboard just goes into an auto power on / off boot loop with no video. Only fix is to clear the BIOS.

I also tried to manually select the timing of the memory without the XMP profile but same result.

Any ideas? Just dropped $250 on this new memory...

Thanks,

Domenic

• 1 month later...
same issue here

Your system goes into a boot loop the moment you select XMP in the BIOS? Or you just simply can't boot at 3466MHz on whatever CPU/motherboard combination you're using?

Memory overclocking is very board and CPU specific. You are going to need to fill in some system specifications and be exact about what memory you have and how much of it.

Your system goes into a boot loop the moment you select XMP in the BIOS? Or you just simply can't boot at 3466MHz on whatever CPU/motherboard combination you're using?

Memory overclocking is very board and CPU specific. You are going to need to fill in some system specifications and be exact about what memory you have and how much of it.

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII FORMULA Z170

intel cpu i7 6700k

MSI GTX 1080

Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 3466 (PC4-27700) C16 for Intel 100, White LED (CMU32GX4M4C3466C16)

Samsung 950 PRO Series - 512GB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD (MZ-V5P512BW)

if i chose xmp profile from bios the pc wont boot ? it gives error 55 in the mobo , so i reset the bios and it start normaly !!

You are pushing the envelope of possibility at 32GB for 3466MHz and the 55 q-code suggests the board either does not like the speed or the module itself. First, XMP is not overly useful on a lot of DDR4 boards. Besides the settings imported from the memory module, the board will also make changes to system agent voltage, strap, and other settings based on frequency. These setting may not be optimal for your combination and they are universal presets, just as are the XMP timings on the module. You are likely to have better success trying your own values. I would also suggest trying a slightly lower speed to see if you can differentiate between "bad memory" and the limits of overclocking for your hardware.

Try manually setting 3200Mhz at 15-17-17-35-T2 @1.35v. You can leave the secondary and tertiary timings on auto. You will also need a boost to System Agent voltage and possibly VCCIO as well. The best place to for helpful guidelines will be in the ROG forums concerning Z170 ROG boards. The VCCSA and VCCIO voltages needed are more likely to be motherboard specific, rather than memory brand dependent.

If this proves to be especially difficult, you can try the same 15-17-17-35 or 14-16-16-31@3000MHz-1.35v. If you are not able to make those, it is doubtful 3400+ anything will every happen at 32GB volume.

You are pushing the envelope of possibility at 32GB for 3466MHz and the 55 q-code suggests the board either does not like the speed or the module itself. First, XMP is not overly useful on a lot of DDR4 boards. Besides the settings imported from the memory module, the board will also make changes to system agent voltage, strap, and other settings based on frequency. These setting may not be optimal for your combination and they are universal presets, just as are the XMP timings on the module. You are likely to have better success trying your own values. I would also suggest trying a slightly lower speed to see if you can differentiate between "bad memory" and the limits of overclocking for your hardware.

Try manually setting 3200Mhz at 15-17-17-35-T2 @1.35v. You can leave the secondary and tertiary timings on auto. You will also need a boost to System Agent voltage and possibly VCCIO as well. The best place to for helpful guidelines will be in the ROG forums concerning Z170 ROG boards. The VCCSA and VCCIO voltages needed are more likely to be motherboard specific, rather than memory brand dependent.

If this proves to be especially difficult, you can try the same 15-17-17-35 or 14-16-16-31@3000MHz-1.35v. If you are not able to make those, it is doubtful 3400+ anything will every happen at 32GB volume.

thanks for your time and help , i tryed asus 5 way optm and it gave me 3000 for the ram and 4.8 for the cpu rock solid stable , thanks again for your time :sunglasse

That's a pretty good result from software tuning. It certainly seems your CPU is up for the job. If it's a matter of choosing between 4.8Ghz on the CPU or 3000 vs 3400 on the memory, that is a really easy choice. If you are not comfortable manually overclocking at this point, leave it as is and enjoy. The difference in actual performance between 4.8/3000 and say 4.6 or 4.7 and 3466 is meaningless. If you have to reduce the CPU frequency to obtain it, it would likely yield lower scores. In time when you become more familiar with the BIOS and its behavior, you can likely replicate the AI Suite overclock with tighter voltages and perhaps a small boost in memory at the same frequency, but that is polishing to be sure.

• 4 weeks later...

Same boat as you. I have the Maximus VIII Hero and cannot OC the RAM to 3466. Tried manual settings, auto, and XMP. Nothing works. I did, however, get it running at 3333. Just use the XMP profile and instead of selecting 3466 as your frequency, select 3333 and it will boot. No boot loop. Has been stable for me. Hopefully we get a bios update in the near future.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero

Asus GTX 1080 Strix

32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair Vengeance LED DDR4 3466Mhz