Corsair Community

H110 water cooler

kpeklund91

Hey guys

It's my first post here so go easy on me!

Just bought a h110 cooler for my MSI godlike x99 and using a broadwell CPU in it.

I've followed the instructions assembling my cooler-- but having major difficulties securing the heat sink onto my board. 2011v3

I am using the short standoff screws as listed in the manual.

I have to place an extreme amount of pressure to thread the screws into the mounting holes. Way too much for my liking.

If I force it, it will go. But something has to be wrong. They should line up and thread with ease, correct??

Help me out here. The standoffs will not reach the threads on the board without extreme pressure.

Thanks for any help you can offer me.

H110 cooler

MSI x99 godlike 2011-3

The only thing that comes to mind is to make sure you have snapped the plastic caps (F & G) completely together around the retention ring. I seem to remember it taking a bit more force than expected to snap those pieces together. Other than that, it should be a very simple screw down procedure. If it doesn't reach, then something must preventing the mounting posts from doing so. Also make sure the CPU is seated in socket properly with all protections removed. That could also cause the issue.

Check the retainer clips were installed the correct way, as the image below

http://i1375.photobucket.com/albums/ag445/BlackOpsBoxes/Corsair%20Guide/H110_zps9ouwyjqp.jpg

When the clips are installed, then insert the short standoffs before attempting to secure with the backplate. Standoffs should snap in place unless something is preventing or binding.

Yeah everything is as it should be.

I can make it fit, it just feels weird.

The heat sink makes contact with the CPU before the mounting screws do.

I have to thread one, then apply pressure to get the others to thread into their respective threads.

Everything lines up. It's just the screws are about 1mm too short.

One i tighten them lightly in a diagonal pattern-- it actually left a square imprint of the CPU on the copper plate cover.

It just feels wrong.

The heat sink makes contact with the CPU before the mounting screws do. I have to thread one, then apply pressure to get the others to thread into their respective threads.

Are you tightening one of the standoffs all the way before attempting to secure the others?

Take a look at our guide under step 4 (mounting the waterblock, the process works with all waterblock installations), here's the link: http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=139165

With the Asetek retainer brackets, the standoffs need to be secure on all corners before tightening them. If not the bracket will be off center and will be very hard to attach the remaining standoffs.

Archived