Corsair Community

MX Speed with Ring Dampeners

Rhosta

Hello,

did anybody tried to put on Ring Dampeners on Rapidfire keyboards with MX Speed switches?

If yes, what is the maximum thickness of rings?

I have two keyboards with MX Reds, I put rings with 0.4mm travel reduction on one of them and it seemed like a maximum there, because on some keys I had to over press some keys to seat the ring properly so the key was registered everytime before bottoming out.

Also I have rings with 0.2mm reduction on the other one and it was without issues since the beginning, no seating adjustments needed.

I prefer the shortest travel distance possible, so I want to know what is the maximum possible reduction which one can put on MX Speeds, since they have 0.5mm shorter travel time but also about 0.25mm shorter activation distance.

4.0mm would be to thick... so I think they are 0.4 mm but Cherry MX Red have a total travel distance of 4 mm and an actuation point at 2 mm. So a travel reduction of 0.4 mm should work without any problems. :confused:

btw the MX Silver doesn't have a shorter travel distance of 0.5 mm. They have 0.6 mm shorter travel distance and also 0.6 mm shorter actuation point!

Some math for MX Silver:

Total Travel: 3.4 mm

Actuation Point: 1.2 mm

Max thickness of dampeners: 3.4 mm - 1.2 mm = 2.2 mm

So I think dampeners with 2 mm thickness should work. Same for MX Red (4 mm - 2 mm = 2 mm). So your 0.4 mm should be no problem for MX Red. ;):

Archived