Corsair Community

question about difference between K95(non-RGB/white LED),K95 RGB, K50 raptor

tainc

Hi!

I was lurking in this community for a while and finally joined today!

I do not own corsair keyboard at this moment, but i always dreamed of getting one.

I have to make decisions someday, but I am not great at making decisions, so I am still debating on which one would be best for me :(.

I am mainly interested in their macro function with 18 g-keys, so I did some research on my own, and found different models with 18 g-keys, but it seems like some older models are very hard to find for new.

Other than K95 RGB, all other models are either out of stock/refurbished/super overpriced for some reason($400up).

in addition, even though they look very similar,I guess they offer little differences in feature.

and as far as I know, differences are

K95 RGB

uses corsair CUE application to set macros.

it does not support built in memory with hardware macro function.

mechanical keyboard

K95 non-RGB/white LED

uses different application to set macros(not CUE?).

supports built in memory with hardware playback.

mechanical keyboard

k50 raptor

I guess it uses similar way/applications to set macro as K95 non-RGB

membrane keyboard

there are some other features like lighting(RGB), usb pass through, etc.. but those are not what I am mainly wanting it for, so I won't mention it.

I have question based on those differences.

-macro function between RGB vs non-RGB vs K50 raptor

I preferred hardware playback, because I heard in some applications/games, macros will not work with software base playback. it was long ago, so I am not sure how it acts nowadays.

will corsair CUE or macros(G-keys) stop work in some applications/games?

based on information from other thread, I saw the reason why RGB version don't supporting hardware playback was because built in memories got not enough space to keep those profiles with RGB profiles. but there was also information about how corsair CUE could improved macro function with record capability of mouse movement and something else I cannot remember at this moment. anyway.

what kind of different macro capabilities are there between K95 RGB(CUE) vs K95 non-RGB vs K50 raptor(i assume its similar with non-RGB model)?

and can any of it record mouse movement/clicks to g-keys from keyboard?

-lighting

I am not huge fan of LED/RGB/lightings. If its possible, I prefer no lights. I know there are probably options to turn off LEDs, but it also bothers me for wasting features like that with its cost. is there any K95 without LED? I think I seen one, but it is not in corsair official page not even from refurbished. probably discontinued?

• Corsair Employees

The K95 non RGB has long been discontinued. We have stopped developing on the legacy software and do not plan on doing so. Moving on forward, if there is any issue related to, for example, a new OS update that causes the software not to work properly, you are basically SOL.

I know that you don't really care of the lighting but since you want the additional macro keys, K95 RGB is a better choice in your situation. You're right that it currently does not support hardware playback due to storage space, but at least you we are keeping up to date with CUE. We have tried most triple A title games with CUE running in the background with no issues, so no worries there.

As for the K50 Raptor...same story as the K95 non RGB.

The K95 non RGB has long been discontinued. We have stopped developing on the legacy software and do not plan on doing so. Moving on forward, if there is any issue related to, for example, a new OS update that causes the software not to work properly, you are basically SOL.

I know that you don't really care of the lighting but since you want the additional macro keys, K95 RGB is a better choice in your situation. You're right that it currently does not support hardware playback due to storage space, but at least you we are keeping up to date with CUE. We have tried most triple A title games with CUE running in the background with no issues, so no worries there.

As for the K50 Raptor...same story as the K95 non RGB.

thank you for the answer!

it helped clarify some of my thoughts :)!

but other then update/support, I mean in macro capability, is there a difference between what CUE can but legacy software cannot?

for example) K95 RGB with CUE macro can repeat while K95 non-RGB with legacy software do not have option for repeat.

(made up example, pretty sure both keyboard can do it, but something like this)

Archived