Corsair Community

H90 and Gigabyte z170x Gaming 7

SvnT

Hi all,

I'm seeking a little clarification to a few questions and I am hopeful someone will be able to assist.

I'm looking to build myself a replacement PC. I have not built a PC in 5 years and its really exciting to learn and research all the options.

I'm looking to purchase an i7 6700k, installed to a Gigabyte z170x Gaming 7, cooled by a Corsair H90 AIO, enclosed within a Fractile Define r5 and probably powered by a Corsair RM650i or RM750i. While I am purchasing the 6700k I do not really see myself overclocking any time soon, or at all. It is a nice option to have if required later. I am a noob when it comes to water cooling and thought it about time I have a crack at it.

After researching for a few days I have two questions that I can not seem to answer....

1. Which headers do the H90 connect to on the mobo? Will the pump connect to CPU_FAN header while the radiator fan connects to the CPU_OPT header? Do I then make sure that BIOS is set to run CPU_FAN at 100% so the pump has a constant & continual flow?

2. If I install H90 in the rear position, as an exhaust, do I position the fan to push exhaust out through the radiator or should it pull exhaust out through the radiator?

Thoughts, ideas and recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

SvnT

I would connect the radiator fan to the CPU header and the pump to the OPT header.

Reasoning:

The CPU_FAN header is logically responsible for the cpu temp, if the temp get hotter the attached fan will spin faster, if the cpu is idling the fans will spin slower. So attaching the radiator fans to this header gives you that control.

Push vs Pull, I'd choose push, but in reality you are talking on a few degrees (2-3) difference either way.

Then just attach the pump to the OPT header and set it to 100%.

This is very motherboard specific. I believe Gigabyte will let you set different speeds for the CPU and OPT headers. Asus does not. Also, some boards have hidden parameters attached to the CPU fan behavior, as alluded to above. That may include fan delay options or different control variables. This could be a plus or minus.

I also would prefer to use the fan on the interior in push. That keeps an inch of radiator between the fan motor and the exterior of the case. Usually, this makes the fan noise less distinctive. It also may be more aesthetically pleasing with the windowed R5.

Archived