Corsair Community

Should I RMA this

sqwerty

I bought a refurb H90 from Scan less than 1 month ago and it's started to make a rattling noise if I don't undervolt the pump slightly.

The rattle begins around the 1350RPM mark and gets progressively worse the closer to it's 1500RPM max.

I'm not noticing any difference in temps running at say 1250 vs 1500 but it's significantly quieter.

It's fitted to a 980Ti using the NZXT G10 and everything seems secure, max temps are in the low-mid 50s with only 1 ~1000RPM fan so all is good there.

Part of me thinks I really should return it but at the same time it all appears fine if I just limit the pump slightly. I also don't want to refit the air cooler so will be without a comp for the duration if I do return as there's apparently no advanced RMA option on refurbs.

I have included a zipped recording (in wma) of the pump, each mouse click you hear is me upping pump speed by 5% at a time, starting from 50% (~1000RPM) to 80% where the rattle is introduced and holding at 100% before reducing again.

Any advise?

P.S Sorry if this should have been in the Warranty/RMA section, didn't notice it tucked down below the foreign languages until after posting this.

H90 rattleandroll.zip

Yes, I would RMA when you can. First, the pump is not supposed to make that noise at any voltage, including the full 12v. The second misfortune is it will get worse. I went through this with an identical H110 pump motor. When it became apparent an express RMA was permanently unavailable, I decided to make the best of it rather than shut down for two weeks of transit time. At first, a tiny reduction was enough to stay out of that loud, grindy zone. Then it needed to be lower. And lower. And lower. Nine months later I could no longer reduce the voltage enough to escape the noise. In that interim, it was nothing but misery. That sound you hear is only part of the problem. It is accompanied by small vibrations from the motor. On my CPU socket, they would travel into the board and case, to the point where I needed to put a 20lbs glass trophy on the top of the case as a dampening weight. It is doing the same on your GPU, even if you can't detect it yet. I have no idea what effect that might have, but I certainly don't look on it in a positive light. 11 months on, I finally bought an air tower as a stand in and RMA'd the H110. Two weeks later, I got a completely silent H110 back. The mistake was waiting so long to do it.

Yes, I would RMA when you can. First, the pump is not supposed to make that noise at any voltage, including the full 12v. The second misfortune is it will get worse. I went through this with an identical H110 pump motor. When it became apparent an express RMA was permanently unavailable, I decided to make the best of it rather than shut down for two weeks of transit time. At first, a tiny reduction was enough to stay out of that loud, grindy zone. Then it needed to be lower. And lower. And lower. Nine months later I could no longer reduce the voltage enough to escape the noise. In that interim, it was nothing but misery. That sound you here is only part of the problem. It is accompanied by small vibrations from the motor. On my CPU socket, they would travel into the board and case, to the point where I needed to put a 20lbs glass trophy on the top of the case as a dampening weight. It is doing the same on your GPU, even if you can't detect it yet. I have no idea what effect that might have, but I certainly don't look on it in a positive light. 11 months on, I finally bought an air tower as a stand in and RMA'd the H110. Two weeks later, I got a completely silent H110 back. The mistake was waiting so long to do it.

Thanks for taking the time to read, listen and to reply with your experience. Looks like you may have saved me from even further frustration. RMA it is.

Archived