Corsair Community

How should I cool my build?

LegacyTheSavage

I want to liquid cool my CPU but because my socket (1151) is weird there's not that many liquid coolers that fit.

I'm curious, what is weird about your 1151 socket? All Skylake CPUs (latest intel CPUs, of which your i7-6700K is most definately one of) use this socket. Provided it is a stock standard 1151 socket you would be hard pressed to find a air or water cooler that does not fit it. Some sites list compatibility as "Supports 115x" wherethe x stands for any number, i.e. 1150 sockets or 1151 sockets. Perhaps the confusion is there?

Or am I missing something obvious?

That aside, some (and I can only speak personally for the H105) dual fan water coolers come with a y-cable that connects both fans to a single fan header, so that will reduce your need for so many fan headers.

And finally, in my opinion, you are over doing the cooling needs on your case. The 1060 is not going to run very hot (comapred to older cards), the skylakes are warm cpus but not hot either, and your PSU (which is way over specced for your components, 500W would be more then enough), is not going to get that hot either.

Personally I would suggest that you stick a decent dual fan water cooler on the front as an intake, put a single fan at the top of your case as an exhaust and monitor your temps for 3 months. IF you find things getting hot then add more fans at that point, but I don't think it will be a problem, plus your case will be quieter.

"I dont wanna be the dummy who had all his components die on him because he didnt put enough fans"

As a comparison, I have a i7-6700K like yourself on a mATX board, a 1070 GPU and a 550W PSU, (currently being built on my dining room table, much to the delight of my wife).

My cooling will consist of a H105 as an intake at the front of the case (with the fans dialed back to about 50% speed via the BIOS) and a 120mm Noctura at the top of my case. I honestly believe that it will be more then enough, but I will monitor temps closely for a couple of months and add more fans if required. I really do believe that it will be unlikely though. Really the only reason the Noctura is only there because I plan to use the exhaust air to blow over my little passively cooled custom psSense router that sits upright next to the exhaust vent on top of my case (which is how it is in my current setup).

If you stick a dual fan radiator in the front and an exhaust fan at the back to help blow out and stale air the worse case scenerio will be that you will see your temps creeping up slowly over a few hours, if that happens add more fans.

The H105 tech spec page lists 1151 as a socket. Actually looking now the H115i, H110i, H100i and H110 Extreme all list the 1151 as a compatible socket. Click on the "Tech Spec" link new the top for a list of compatible sockets.

Is there a reason for using a front intake radiator? I would use:

1. A Top Exhaust radiator as this will keep the case + GPU rather cooler and the CPU should only be slightly warmer.
  2. A 280 mm cooler as only two fans are usually needed and usually spin slower.
  3. A CoolIT H110i, see http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=796027 for why.
  4. SP fans for the cooler radiator
  5. AF fans for other case fans
  6. A NVMe SSD

"Or am I just wrong in assuming they dont support it because it's not listed as compatible? "

The 1151 (Skylake socket) is the same as the 1155 and 1156 sockets, so any cooler that is compatible with them is compatible with the 1151. I have an H110i GT mounted on an 1151 socket and it works fine. I also had a Noctua air coole installed for a while (not at the same time of course).

I have no idea why they can't clean up the product pages. Every single cooler Corsair sells will fit on the 1151 socket. We did pass the 1 year Skylake anniversary last week.

I agree with both of the above posts, however there are a couple of hang-ups on the 400C/Q. A 280mm radiator will only fit in the front (H110i/H115). I might then suggest a 240mm like the H100i v2 that could be top or front mounted. However several users have reported collisions with their RAM modules with the radiator in the top position. That is a very shallow roof on the 400C/Q. This is one of the exceptions where I would consider a front mount radiator (specifically a 280mm). With no drive bays, the warm exhaust coming in from the front can go straight out the top. You do not have to run push-pull with two sets of fans. The airflow exchange (intake/exhaust) is not going to be a major obstacle. However, as mentioned some things like M.2 drives need direct cooling and you will need someone using this exact set-up to clarify how their drive temps behave.

If you want to maintain your option of using push-pull on the radiator (for whatever reason), you'll need to choose your GPU(s) carefully. The new 1070/1080 models generally are longer than their predecessors. However, there is some variance and some partner manufacturers have chopped the length and added width.

Sorry I never replied to your question, was rude of me. Life got in the way.

So right now you have a rad as intake in the front and one exhaust fan at the top/back and thats it?

Yup, just 3 fans, 2 pushing air through the Rad at the front as an intake and one venting out the top at the back.

Is that overkill?

Some people are of the opinion you can never have too many fans/airflow. Me, I prefer the bare minimum number of fans to keep my case cool and quiet. "Overkill" is subjective, I happen to think that that many fans is overkill, other people will not, no one is wrong. What ever you are happy with works best

Also, are you using high static pressure fans or high air flow fans?

I'm using the 2 high static pressure fans that came with the H105 and a single NF S12B as my exhaust (this : http://noctua.at/en/nf-s12b-redux-1200-pwm)

In the end it seems more sensible/cheaper to test with a smaller number of fans and buy more as needed, rather then go all out and buy more then you need. But that is just my opinion

Archived