Corsair Community

Cmd32gx4m2b3000c15

Hypertrig

Just got my new system up and running and everything is running "great", NO issues at all, but i'm running two kits of CMD32GX4M2B3000C15. I know you're not supposed to mix kits, but they didn't have a 64GB kit at the time. I just kept each kit on the same channel, i'm not using XMP for my timings, I entered them manually. My only concern is that Asus (Strix X99 Gaming) is setting the SA voltage at 1.346, which i feel is a bit too much. btw... I'm running them all at 3000MHz @ 1.35v, with 15-17-17-35 timings

1. What is everyone else seeing out there?

2. I'm thinking about running them at 2400Mhz, can i tighten the timings at 1.35v ?

CPU = i7-6850k

-thanks

I'm thinking about running them at 2400Mhz, can i tighten the timings at 1.35v ?

Why when this will be slower than running them at 3000MHz?

I know that the CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 should run at 2400MHz with 12-14-14-28 and suspect your DIMMs are the same. What does their SPD report?

attachment.php?attachmentid=26200&stc=1&d=1471194389

CMK16GX4M2B3000C15.thumb.png.62d0ee128ef74e64fe2ab3002d605757.png

Depending on the actual ICs used on your kit and their scaling you might be able to go even tighter at 1.35V. However the performance will still be worse compared to XMP settings. Also the VCCSA actually needed for DDR4-3000 varies from one processor to another with IMC quality and might be (a lot) lower than you boards 1.346V AUTO setting.

yeah sorry, I change my timings and speed, was worried about the SA voltage at 3000. I can't change SA voltage directly, but I can modify the offset. Is this something I should look into. I'm not familar with this voltage. Does this directly control the voltage of the IMC then?... to low voltage ?... what happens ???

Just to be clear on the SA voltage, does that come from the motherboard or SPD ?

3000.thumb.png.2a65ab19a47e37ce2742f4d30a85d2dd.png

The SPD timings for 1200MHz are 12-14-14-28 rather than the 13-14-14-28 you specified.

AFAIK the SA voltage is set by the BIOS, but I don't know what should be used. You may do better asking on the ASUS STRIX or one of the ROG forums.

I can't change SA voltage directly, but I can modify the offset. Is this something I should look into. I'm not familar with this voltage. Does this directly control the voltage of the IMC then?... to low voltage ?... what happens ???

With most boards you can select if you want to apply an offset or directly dial in the actual value. The offset is applied to the normal/standard value for your CPU.

Just to be clear on the SA voltage, does that come from the motherboard or SPD ?

The MB selects/trains VCCSA itself if it is left on AUTO. Some boards have very aggressive presets for that and raise it a lot higher than it is actually needed for most processors/kits, just to maximise overall compatibility.

Thanks red-ray and emissary42. Right now I'm at 1.076, after I "manually" typed in an .100 offset. When it's on Auto it's running at SA at 1.346. I obviously feel better about the lower voltage. This CPU is a little bit more money, so i'm a little more worried about it than usual. I tried at zero offset too (.978), and everything "seemed" normal, but didn't run anything. My problem is this setting isn't an on/off voltage.

My only concern is the SA voltage at 1.346 when running them at 3000. The SA voltage will drop to 1.0 if I lower them to 2400. Thanks for the reply.

Most likely an 0.15 offset, which is likely plenty for 3200. The Asus X99 boards have always Auto clocked with a +0.15 for any speed above 2133 and then a further bump to+0.30 offset and 2666 and up. That's big bump and I don't know anyone running 1.30 VCCSA on any X99 memory configuration. The HW-E's had quite a bit of variance in default SA values, particularly between early and late production runs. Sometimes as much as 0.10-0.15 difference. I haven't been following the BW-E's as closely, but I would expect some variance in starting value between CPUs, but 1.04 may be a higher default value.

Right now I'm at 1.076, after I "manually" typed in an .100 offset.

Check how much memory frequency you can get out of that. At some point when going up to the next memory ratio you will eventually loose stability*. Then raise your offset in small steps until you gain back stability. You will most likely end up with a lower VCCSA than with the AUTO values, but that is something you have to test for yourself.

*if you skip the stability testing, further down the road your system would no longer successfully POST because the memory training fails resulting in a "overclocking failed" message

Check how much memory frequency you can get out of that. At some point when going up to the next memory ratio you will eventually loose stability*. Then raise your offset in small steps until you gain back stability. You will most likely end up with a lower VCCSA than with the AUTO values, but that is something you have to test for yourself.

*if you skip the stability testing, further down the road your system would no longer successfully POST because the memory training fails resulting in a "overclocking failed" message

That's a good idea, Thanks. I may have found my first problem, my transfer rates off my 950 Pro M.2 was horrible. I moved SA to 1.152 to get them back. Still less than auto @ 1.346

Most likely an 0.15 offset, which is likely plenty for 3200. The Asus X99 boards have always Auto clocked with a +0.15 for any speed above 2133 and then a further bump to+0.30 offset and 2666 and up. That's big bump and I don't know anyone running 1.30 VCCSA on any X99 memory configuration. The HW-E's had quite a bit of variance in default SA values, particularly between early and late production runs. Sometimes as much as 0.10-0.15 difference. I haven't been following the BW-E's as closely, but I would expect some variance in starting value between CPUs, but 1.04 may be a higher default value.

Thanks for the wisdom c-attack !

SA.thumb.png.687b260adbb90165c16bebb926346d47.png

Everything is right with the world again. Transfer rates are back SA @ 1.208

That's interesting. When I first installed my 950 (256GB) as my C: drive, I bumped my SA up as well anticipating more need. Like a lot of people, I was having a difficult time with it at launch. However, the SA voltage never seemed to matter and I gradually dialed it back down over several months. However, a key difference was the much easier load of 4x4GB of modules (3200C15).

That's interesting. When I first installed my 950 (256GB) as my C: drive, I bumped my SA up as well anticipating more need. Like a lot of people, I was having a difficult time with it at launch. However, the SA voltage never seemed to matter and I gradually dialed it back down over several months. However, a key difference was the much easier load of 4x4GB of modules (3200C15).

And that is the part that confuses me. I took two modules out and the motherboard still assigned the same SA of 1.346. These things I know.

1. I could boot with no offset, but 3dmark dropped about 150 points.

2. I moved the offset to .100, 3dmark came back up 65 points. check my transfer rates and wasn't even getting 500/mbs from my 950 pro.

3. Moved the offset up to .200 and had the highest TimeSpy score i've

ever had not being overclocked (11,300 @1080p). Transfer were rates back up to normal.

Threw salt over my shoulder, clicked my heels twice, and added another .025 for good luck. Right now I'm at .225 offset, which i think the SA is around 1.208. I can't remember, I have a good memory, but it doesn't last very long.

Just got my new system up and running and everything is running "great", NO issues at all, but i'm running two kits of CMD32GX4M2B3000C15. I know you're not supposed to mix kits, but they didn't have a 64GB kit at the time. I just kept each kit on the same channel, i'm not using XMP for my timings, I entered them manually. My only concern is that Asus (Strix X99 Gaming) is setting the SA voltage at 1.346, which i feel is a bit too much. btw... I'm running them all at 3000MHz @ 1.35v, with 15-17-17-35 timings

1. What is everyone else seeing out there?

2. I'm thinking about running them at 2400Mhz, can i tighten the timings at 1.35v ?

CPU = i7-6850k

-thanks

What have you used to test the memory stability? I have a Rampage V Edition 10 and mixed 2 LED kits with no apparent problems. Memtest86+ passed, Windows Memory Diagnostic passed, all night on Prime 95 passed. I was relieved until I read an official post at Asus rog forums saying all those tests mean nothing and memory should be tested with HCI Memtest or Googlestressapp. I tested the modules with HCI Memtest Pro and they failed immediately. I tested each kit separately and they passed but combined, errors within seconds.

On the first generation of Asus X99 boards, I never detected anything remotely intelligent about the Auto assigned SA value. There was no PCI-E component variation. or by number of modules. If was simply down to assigned memory frequency in those groups I mentioned earlier. You have a new generation 2 board and your CPU is different, so things may have changed, but I would be a little surprised. That is something that could have been adjusted in BIOS updates and never was. I am using the BW-E BIOS generation now and it is still the same for HW-E. Regardless, I do think SA is absolutely best handled with manual tuning and too much can cause other issues.

I don't see a problem with 1.20v However, C: drive testing can be inconsistent. Make sure you run a few benchmark runs before making a permanent conclusion.

What have you used to test the memory stability? I have a Rampage V Edition 10 and mixed 2 LED kits with no apparent problems. Memtest86+ passed, Windows Memory Diagnostic passed, all night on Prime 95 passed. I was relieved until I read an official post at Asus rog forums saying all those tests mean nothing and memory should be tested with HCI Memtest or Googlestressapp. I tested the modules with HCI Memtest Pro and they failed immediately. I tested each kit separately and they passed but combined, errors within seconds.

Yes, I've used those, except for Google stress and all without errors. I really haven't had "any" issues except the high SA voltage (1.346) when it is set on auto. I have it set manually at 1.208 and everything still continues to run well.

Yes, I've used those, except for Google stress and all without errors. I really haven't had "any" issues except the high SA voltage (1.346) when it is set on auto. I have it set manually at 1.208 and everything still continues to run well.

I decided to insert the second kit and run HCI Memtest again and this time after 100% coverage, I have no errors.... Will run it all night and see what happens :D:

I noticed that both the ASUS Strix X99 Gaming + Rampage V Edition 10 have H_AMP_FAN + W_PUMP headers and guess H_AMP_FAN is for a high current fan.

As I can't find this specified in the manual do either of you know what current these are specified to deliver please? For that matter none of the fan header currents seem to be specified, so maybe they are all just 1.0 amps.

I noticed that both the ASUS Strix X99 Gaming + Rampage V Edition 10 have H_AMP_FAN + W_PUMP headers and guess H_AMP_FAN is for a high current fan.

As I can't find this specified in the manual do either of you know what current these are specified to deliver please?

Isn't that question way off topic here in the Corsair memory section? The ASUS support might be a better place to ask this.

Edit: The H_AMP_FAN header probably might have enhanced current capabilities to power and control multiple fans via a single header.

Isn't that question way off topic here in the Corsair memory section? The ASUS support might be a better place to ask this.

As others posting have those two motherboards then to me it seems a sensible question. I guess the cooling section would be more appropriate, but don't see any real issue.

I further feel that if they did not know then they might be interested. I have found it's 3.0A limit, see http://www.overclock.net/t/1510328/asus-x99-motherboard-series-official-support-thread-north-american-users-only/13030#post_25397984

If you see this is a real issue then I also feel you should report this to the moderators rather than acting as a moderator.

guess H_AMP_FAN is for a high current fan.

Edit: The H_AMP_FAN header probably might have enhanced current capabilities to power and control multiple fans via a single header.

I would also encourage you to read what others specify so that you don't duplicate information.

Archived