Corsair Community

AX850 going bad or something else?

Quiz

Happened again even with the LLC setting in the BIOS set to Medium from the default Auto.

Even though I was already on the latest BIOS, I re-flashed the BIOS (same version). I just enabled XMP for my RAM, entered a manual Vcore of 1.200 volts (because leaving the Vcore on Auto puts in too much voltage), and disabled features I don't use/need such as on-board audio and unused SATA ports. Left everything else as it is. So far, I have done many random restarts and shut downs/boot ups just to see if it happens again and so far so good. No BIOS boot failure messages. Will keep it like this and see if it happens again.

So far so good after doing what I mentioned in my last post. Seems it was just an unstable overclock. Need to adjust more things to get it completely stable instead of just upping the multiplier and Vcore. Right now I'm back to running stock.

So, I tried overclocking again. I saw the Sandy Bridge-E overclocking guide on OCN (which is actually based/written using a GIGABYTE motherboard) and it stated "If you fail to POST, or fail stability tests in Windows, then you need to increase your VCore. At this point you should disable power saving settings, which are EIST (Speed step), C1E, and C3/C6 states. On some boards you need to leave EIST or C1E on to maintain the OC at all."

Link to guide: http://www.overclock.net/t/1189242/sandy-bridge-e-overclocking-guide-walk-through-explanations-and-support-for-all-x79-overclockers

I went again for a 4.2 GHz overclock but this time I disabled EIST, C1E, and C3/C6 in the BIOS. I ran IntelBurnTest on the Maximum stress level for 1 pass and found that anything below a Vcore of 1.225 I would get a BSOD. So, right now I have all those C States and EIST disabled with a overclock of 4.2 GHz at a Vcore of 1.225 volts.

With this overclock, with 1 pass of IntelBurnTest, the maximum temp recorded was 63 C. I also played roughly 30 minutes of Battlefield 4 (which saw a pretty good increase in fps) and the max temp recorded was 51 C. I also did several shut downs and boot ups along with even more restarts and, so far, no BIOS boot/POST failures. I think disabling all those C States and (maybe) even disabling EIST cured that issue.

Only "issue" I have now is since I have a 24/7 overclock of 4.2 GHz at a fixed Vcore of 1.225 volts, my idle temps are quite a bit higher. Shouldn't be an issue as they are within reason.

Will keep everything like this and continue using/testing.

Archived