Corsair Community

Asus A7N8X Deluxe/Corsair TwinX1024-2700LLPT now erroring

I recently got an error on logging into Windows XP where services.exe crashed. It reported "memory cannot be read." It's happened a couple of times again since then. I got a similar error in World of Warcraft. On an a hunch I ran MemTest86 and got multiple errors around the 248MB region. This probably just cropped up recently, because I've not encountered these errors before (MemTest86 has worked fine in the past). System tempuratures are fine, and the memory timings and settings are what are recommended by Corsair (2-3-2-5).

Complete system info can be found here: http://www.cognivore.com/sysinfo

Note that nothing has been changed on this machine, BIOS, driver, or otherwise, for over a year, other than installing software. It has run stable until the last weekend. At this point logging in to Windows XP runs a 50-50 chance of crashing and a force restart.

Please inform me of the next step. Like everyone else here, I need to get this machine working as soon as possible.

Thank you in advance,

Joe Loutzenhiser

Try right clicking on them and choosing "Save-As", then view them locally on your machine. Or you could use Firefox, which retains the formatting correctly (IE loses the carriage returns for some reason).

The system files don't include BIOS information, though, and I will get that information to you in a couple hours. I'm not at the machine right now.

The motherboard is an Asus A7N8X Deluxe.

I am sorry Joe, but that is not possible for security reasons.

And what CPU speed and FSB do you have and what are the bios settings?

That's okay, I understand. Here are the BIOS settings. Sorry if it's overkill.

Again, it's an Asus A7N8X Deluxe with TwinX1024-2700LLPT memory.

Memory Frequency: 166

Dual Channel Mode

CPU External Frequency: 166MHz

CPU Frequency Multiple Settigs: Auto

CPU Frequency Multiple: 11.0x

Memory Frequency: By Speed

Resulting Frequency: 166Mhz

Memory Timings: User Defined

SDRAM Active Precharge Delay: 5

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay: 3

SDRAM RAS Precharge Delay: 2

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2T

CPU VCore Setting: 1.650v

DDR Reference Voltage: 2.6v

AGP VDDQ Voltage: 1.5v

FSB Spread Spectrum: Disabled

AGP Spread Spectrum: Disabled

AGP Frequency: Auto

CPU level 1 cache: Enabled

CPU level 2 cache: Enabled

Gate 20 option: Fast

• Corsair Employees

I would try and set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts and then test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org to make sure. But if you still get errors I have no problem replacing them.

Please follow the directions under "I think I have a bad module" under this forum or if you have trouble, Please send us a email with a copy of the form or all of your info name address and phone# and the Module part# and copy the link to this post and email it to Rma@corsairmemory.com.

If after 1 day or 24 hours excluding weekends you do not get the rma please email the same to warranty@corsairmemory.com and we will help to resolve it.

Just an FYI, the link from your email sig for memory setting has timings of 2-3-2-5 indicated for the TwinX1024-2700LL, but the .PDF link indicates 2-2-2-5 (http://www.corsairmicro.com/main/products/specs/twinx1024-2700ll.pdf), while the .PDF link off of the Cosair site has the 2-3-2-5 values (http://www.corsairmicro.com/corsair/products/specs/twinx1024-2700ll.pdf). Since the link off your email has the correct specs, it's not a big deal, but I did a double take when I was double checking to make sure my timings were correct.

Did that resolve the problem?

Sadly, no. I did receive fewer errors, but only slightly (in 1 pass with MemTest86+ it got 8 errors with 2.6v, and it got 6 with 2.7v). Both in both cases test #4 gets an error every time, right off (it got errors on other tests, too, #6 & #7).

So I did as you suggested and tried the modules individually. One module (from DDR3 on the mobo) got errors (similar to above, with the error on test #4 consistently, #6 & #7, too) and the other did not error (from DDR2), as of 2 passes now. It appears that one module has gone bad. I'll let the good module go for a few passes more, just to make sure.

What's the next step? Do I request an RMA? In particular, where do I read how to ship it to you folks properly? I don't have the original packaging. I do have access to packing materials, though.

Thank you for your prompt responses!

Joe Loutzenhiser

...we will be happy to replace them or it!

I was wondering about that. Is there a reason to return both instead of just one? Is there some sort of potential problem with one old module and one new one running in the same system? Only one module got errors running in single channel mode, so it appears that one one module has a problem.

Thanks in advance,

Joe

I did not receive a response withing 24 hours of using the RMA form, so I sent all my information, both in the body of the email and in the provided Excel file. I got a receipt from receiving email server, but have yet to receive a reply.

Edit: Seconds after I posted this, I got a read receipt.

N.P.

Please let me know how you make out when you get the new modules!

You folks got the bad RAM on the 10th, I got replacement RAM on the 13th. Instead of TwinX1024-2700LLPT I got TwinX1024-3200LLPT as the replacement RAM. I installed the new RAM, adjusted my RAM BIOS settings for 2-3-2-6 (as indicated on the outside of the memory modules themselves - nice!) and adjusted the memory speed down to 166Mhz (it defaulted to 200Mhz, which I don't think my 1.4 rev of motherboard supports well). I ran MemTest86+ for 2 passes, both of which passed.

I don't have time to do more comprensive testing until later tonight - for now the testing it going to have to be actually working on the machine. I've got a lot of catching up to do! I'll let you know if I run into any glitches, or course.

Again, I want to stress how pleased I am with the support I received from Corsair. It was exceptionally prompt and fair. It goes without saying that I'll be buying Cosair RAM in the future. :D:

Thank you,

Joe Loutzenhiser

Just an FYI for you folks and forum interlopers.

On my Asus nForce2 A7N8X rev 1.4 motherboard (BIOS 1004) with a 166MHz FSB the best performance with the TWINX1024-3200LLPT memory was obtainted with these settings:

166MHz memory speed

2-3-2-6

Running at 200Mhz with 2-3-2-6, or even at 166Mhz with 2-3-2-5, was not as fast. Perhaps something with the FSB and the memory being at the same speed makes it faster.

Note that the motherboard defaults do not set the above settings. You have to set them by hand.

Anyway, further testing has proved the memory stable.

Thanks again.

Archived