Corsair Community

Please Help- Link messed my Fan settings, Uninstall - H100i

niallh

Hi Guys,

So im pretty annoyed now I installed Link 4 today after thinking it was a good idea to monitor my h100i and CPU Temps, however I noticed that my Auto CPU Temp-Fan behaviour was now gone and the fans can now only be constant. What happened to the Auto Fan increase/decrease before I installed this software which I'm assuming is Asus's QFanControl from the BIOS. How do I get it back? Can I get it back? Ive uninstalled Link and now im just left with no Fan curve, not reverting back to the default setup.

Please Help me, i have a 5960x and I dont want to burn it out by morning.

Thanks in Advance.

-N

You have left out a lot of key information. For starters, how are the H100i fan connected? Are they connected to the pump block and AI Suite/BIOS has absolutely no control over them? Or did you connect them to your motherboard and Link never had control over them? You need to be specific as the motherboard headers in use.

I can guess you have an Asus X99, however the model and whether this is a I or II series board makes a difference for BIOS fan control.

You can't burn out your processor with fan speed settings. If you have cut power to the H100i by throttling the CPU_FAN voltage in the BIOS, I suggest you stop. You will burn out your pump in time.

Link had control over them, I dont know how they are connected, Yeah MB is an X99-A. Ive not cut power to the h100i. I read the h100is have a default profile controlling them or maybe it was QFan Control that was controlling them before I installed Link, I un installed link within 25 minutes and now im left with no fan curve, Is it possible now link has overridden the BIOS controls I can revert back to them? Thanks very much for your time and help.

You need to open up the side of the case and follow the radiator fan wires back to their origination point. If you followed the install directions, they lead back to the pump. In this state, Link controls your fans. AI Suite and your BIOS do not. In the BIOS, you NEED to set the CPU_FAN header to "Full Speed". When you try to control them with AI Suite or the BIOS, you are really throttling the voltage to the pump. That is both counterproductive and unhealthy for the system.

If you don't want to use Link and wish to control your fans through the BIOS/AI suite, then you need to plug the fans into CPU & OPT and move the H100i header to one the CHA_FAN headers. Set that CHA header to "Full Speed" then set your CPU fan curve in the BIOS and AI suite. OPT will mirror the CPU curve.

Be aware, if you choose to run the fans from the motherboard and AI Sutie, the fans are likely to ramp up and down with every single little blip of CPU activity, especially if you have Windows 10. The entire point of the Link system is to control the fans from far more stable water temperature inside the cooler. This is what the fans do -- they remove heat from the water. They do not cool the CPU directly and you do not need them to keep in step with your CPU. I would suggest you give this a go as intended before making drastic changes.

Thanks for that, It looks like they lead back to the pump, but its weird because ive never had link installed till today and my fans have always ramped up to pretty fast even when my CPU activity goes up by just 10% from been "idle".

Alot of my work makes me need to leave my PC on with CPU on Max load for long amounts of time, is Link reliable enough to trust do you think, ie to keep cool?

Thanks.

Yes, Link is perfectly capable of handling the radiator fan management and in a way that is superior to what the BIOS or AI Suite can do. However, the relationship between water temperature, CPU temperature, and seasonal room temperature changes is slightly complex and takes a little adjustment. I had a similar discussion of the issue in this thread.

There is a secondary concern. Link and AI Suite get in each other's way. Sometimes it's just polling inconsistencies. Sometimes it is a loss of fan control. If this system is relatively new and you are still settling in, I understand the desire to use AI suite. It is a one panel solution for multiple things, but ultimately it's short comings will be revealed. It is not the best place to do your overclocking, many of its features are not needed or used, and it makes a lousy data monitor with its very slow polling speeds. Most people in time grow out of it, but I do not wish to prematurely accelerate the process.

Faced with having to choose one or the other, I can understand if you wish to stick with AI Suite for now. In that case, move the radiator fan connectors off the pump and onto CPU & OPT at the top of the board. Move the H100i header to CHA_2 or wherever there is a free spot. Set that CHA header to "Full Speed" in Q-fan (disabled in Advanced BIOS). That should "grey out" the controls in AI suite and will ensure the pump receives the constant 12V it needs. You can also set the pump header to PWM in the BIOS to be doubly sure.

If you do wish to use Link, you need to leave AI Suite minimized in the background. Once you bring it up, it is now active until you fully exit the program in the drop down menu. You may be able to get away with setting the case fan controls through AI Suite and then setting the program not to run on start-up. This will not the way to go if you are overclocking or turning other items through AI suite.

Great thanks very much for your help i'm going to go back and use Link.

OK, then back to the original question about recovering the "default" fan curve, I am afraid it is not possible and Link overwrites it when first installed. However, I can't believe it would be any different than the 'balanced' pre-programmed curve. For now, you should be able to use Quiet for all normal desktop work and most gaming. Set it to Performance for rendering, encoding, or other longer run professional applications. It time, you can replace them with a custom curve of your own making. You can use either one of the suggested methods in the other thread.

Also, make sure your fans are linked to the H100i Temp Group and not CPU temperature. This will make the fans change speed based on water temperature, as intended.

Thanks a lot, yeah thats what ive been doing, set it to the H100is temp to avoid it fluctuating with any CPU activity/heat increase as you say, its a real shame about loosing that curve ! The default Balanced Profile didn't adjust the same as before sadly, so I've been measuring my CPU Temps and made auto curves. Really liking Link now, was worth the day messing about in the end I guess, and now i can monitor all temps.

Thanks for your help.

That's funny. I think you are the third or fourth person to bemoan the loss of the 'default' fan curve in recent weeks. I am not sure if we know what it is, but I am really surprised it is not the same as the balanced curve. It must have some rise to maximum speed to cover people who never install Link. Perhaps the default curve has a very flat first half with a sharp rise at the end, much like the custom curves most people end up making.

Archived