Corsair Community

H80i v2 fans [need] help

aerone

I use h105i for my GTX 970, the temp is great but not so for my i7 4790k using H80i v2.

I have some questions.

1. Is it normal for the cable splitter from pump to have 3 and 4 pin?

20160807_065634_a.jpg

2. Is the 2 radiator fans identical?

3. If question#1 is true, I assume the pushing fan connects to 4pin, right?

4. I think the push and pull fan best works in sync (same RPM). How can i set it like that?

5.clink.png

Which one the MB Fan#2 (933RPM) refer to? Both Fans? Fan that connects to 4pin connector? Fan that connects to 3pin connector?

I connects pump (and Y splitter cable connects to both fans) to CPU Fan1 header on motherboard. Seems like that MB Fan#2 can't be controlled from Corsair Link.

MB Fan#1 is radiator fans for H105i that connects to CPU Fan2 header.

MB Fan#3 is H105i pump that connects to SysFan1.

MB Fan#4 is Gpu Fan that connects to SysFan3

At the front case there are 2x200mm stock fans

At the top-rear case there is a 200mm stock fans

I'd greatly appreciate any help with those questions.

1. Is it normal for the cable splitter from pump to have 3 and 4 pin?

2. Is the 2 radiator fans identical?

3. If question#1 is true, I assume the pushing fan connects to 4pin, right?

4. I think the push and pull fan best works in sync (same RPM). How can i set it like that?

5. Which one the MB Fan#2 (933RPM) refer to? Both Fans? Fan that connects to 4pin connector? Fan that connects to 3pin connector?

1. Yes, pin-3 is absent from one of them. This is the fan speed signal so the speed of only one of the fans is reported.
  2. Yes, they should be and have the same part number.
  3. It does not really matter.
  4. The same PWM signal goes to both so they should run at the same speed.
  5. This is the same speed as the H80iV2 fan speed.

4. The same PWM signal goes to both so they should run at the same speed.

5. This is the same speed as the H80iV2 fan speed.

Thank you a lot for the answers.

btw

h80iv2 fan speed is clearly the one with 1380 rpm. MB Fan#2 is 933 rpm. I'm confused how can that be called the same speed.

Which one the MB Fan#2 (933 rpm) refer to? -> mysterious fans?

Which one the H80iv2 fan (1380 rpm) refer to? -> both fans?

H80iv2 fan can be configured from the corsair link but MB fan#2 is not.

h80iv2 fan

h80iv2_fan.png

MB fan#2

MB_fan_2.png

1. Reading the [Configure] tab is error prone and it's better to post the [Home] tab as this has the same layout on all systems.
  2. CL4 can only display motherboard fans can't cant control them.
  3. I assumed the H80iV2 is plugged into the CPU Fan header and this is what CL4 calls Fan #2.
  4. As to why they are different I don't know. When you change the H80iV2 fan speed does the Fan #2 speed also change?
  5. Have you disabled fan control for the CPU Fan header in the BIOS? If not you need to.
  6. CL4 using default names of Fan #n rather than CPU Fan, etc. is a PITA. Which is CPU Fan?
  7. To find out which fan is which I unplug each fan in turn, check which goes to 0 RPM and then set an appropriate name.
  8. I suspect my SIV utility will report sensible default fan names on the [status] panel.
  9. If it does not I would fix it and make a beta available within < 24 hours, often about 30 minutes.
  10. This also shows the min and max values for all the sensors.
  11. To run CL 4.2.4.35 and SIV at the same time you need to use the SIV 5.12 beta, see http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=863330 for the reason why.

When there are multiple points you should use a numbered list.

Which one the H80iv2 fan (1380 rpm) refer to? -> both fans?

As I specified in #1 pin-3 is absent so only one of the fans speed can be reported. This fan is reported as both the H80iV2 fan and to the CPU Fan header.

1. Yes, pin-3 is absent from one of them. This is the fan speed signal so the speed of only one of the fans is reported.

1. here is my [Home] tab

clink_home.png

2. OK

3. Yup i plugged h80iv2 to CPU Fan1 header.

4.If i configure H80iv2 fan to max and fixed (2760 rpm), MB Fan#2 still not changed (931 rpm).

clink_home_full.png

but if i change via performance profile, MB Fan#2 changed to 1421 rpm and h80iv2 changed to 2220 rpm.

clink_home_performance.png

but balance profile is not changed Fan#2 (930 rpm) while h80iv2 fan rise to 1980 rpm.

clink_home_balanced.png

5. Already disabled Smart Fan Mode for CPU Fan1 in BIOS.

7. I'll do it later...maybe at night.

8. OK. newer shot have SIV beta as well.

9. Thanks a lot. You are helping so much for community.

10&11. SIV is great tool.

Thanks again for the reply. Btw at the [configure] tab has my real case (TT core v71) image

1. The fact that CPU Fan sometimes changes with the H80iV2 fan means they are one of the same fan. Do you also think this?
  2. Try swapping the two fans to the other H100iV2 headers and see if the speeds are any closer.
  3. The H80iV2 sample counts are 236 when they should be 253 and I am wondering why.
  4. Do Menu->Tools->Link Test to run the SIV Asetek test and post the final screen shot, this will take about 10 minutes and you should get similar to as below.
  5. Do you have a cable similar to as below that you could use to power the H80iV2 so we can be 100% sure it's getting a constant +12 volts?
  6. Do you have any MSI or other software running that could be interacting with the motherboard sensors?
  7. SIV should not report T4 AUXTIN1, please post the SIV [sensors] screen so I can fix it. I have just uploaded Beta-23 which with a bit of luck will fix this, does it?

attachment.php?attachmentid=26009&d=1469736605

attachment.php?attachmentid=25165&d=1463129620

To find out which fan is which I unplug each fan in turn, check which goes to 0 RPM and then set an appropriate name.

3pin unplugged/4pin plugged

siv_3pin_unplugged.png

4pin unplugged/3pin plugged

siv_4pin_unplugged.png

Try swapping the two fans to the other H100iV2 headers and see if the speeds are any closer.

4 and 3pin swapped

siv_pin_swapped.png

The fact that CPU Fan sometimes changes with the H80iV2 fan means they are one of the same fan. Do you also think this?

Frankly i still confused about this "extra" fan sensor reading.

Do Menu->Tools->Link Test to run the SIV Asetek test and post the final screen shot, this will take about 10 minutes and you should get similar to as below.

siv_link_test.png

Do you have a cable similar to as below that you could use to power the H80iV2 so we can be 100% sure it's getting a constant +12 volts?

Unfortunately i don't have it.

Do you have any MSI or other software running that could be interacting with the motherboard sensors?

Before this post i have MSI AB and CL4 running. For this post i terminated both of them.

SIV should not report T4 AUXTIN1, please post the SIV [sensors] screen so I can fix it. I have just uploaded Beta-23 which with a bit of luck will fix this, does it?

siv_sensor.png

Sorry for late reply..

btw what the T4 AUXTIN1 actually is? I have SpeedFan reading this sensor too... got me worried.. Something in my case so hot 126C! that even makes water boils.

4pin unplugged/3pin plugged

siv_4pin_unplugged.png

Frankly i still confused about this "extra" fan sensor reading.

I am now also confused :eek:. When the 4-pin is unplugged then there is no H80iV2 fan speed, but there is still a CPU Fan speed. What happens with no fans plugged into either the 4-pin or 3-pin?

I am starting to suspect there is a hardware issue with the H80iV2 cooler.

I will reply to the other points is a different post.

Before this post i have MSI AB and CL4 running. For this post i terminated both of them.

siv_sensor.png

btw what the T4 AUXTIN1 actually is? I have SpeedFan reading this sensor too... got me worried.. Something in my case so hot 126C! that even makes water boils.

[Link Test] worked which is good.

CL4 will not try and change the the CPU Fan speed, but MSI AB might. Does MSI AB report the motherboard fan speeds? If it does they you should not use it at the same time as any of CL4, SpeedFan or SIV as it fails to use the correct locks to interlock access, see http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141037.

SpeedFan could well be :(:. If either of these are this would explain the lower H80iV2 reading we were seeing and are no longer seeing. If it's SpeedFan then you MUST stop it doing this.

Above you can see that all the samples are now 1,178 which is as I would expect and is ideal. The Zone sample rate is every ten rather than every two seconds.

All the motherboard temperature and fan speeds are read from the NCT6792D which has more temperature inputs than are actually used/connected on some motherboards. I deduced this is the case for T4 AUXTIN1 so I should remove it. SpeedFan should be changed to do the same and you can safely ignore it. Report this as a SpeedFan issue to it's developer. This happens quite often with one example being http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=788225.

I am now also confused :eek:. When the 4-pin is unplugged then there is no H80iV2 fan speed, but there is still a CPU Fan speed. What happens with no fans plugged into either the 4-pin or 3-pin?

I am starting to suspect there is a hardware issue with the H80iV2 cooler.

I will reply to the other points is a different post.

Is it safe to have both fans not spinning? I fear cpu will run too hot.

EDIT: I do it anyway hahhaha here it is both unplugged

7c93500601.png

CL4 will not try and change the the CPU Fan speed, but MSI AB might. Does MSI AB report the motherboard fan speeds? If it does they you should not use it at the same time as any of CL4, SpeedFan or SIV as it fails to use the correct locks to interlock access, see http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141037.

SpeedFan could well be . If either of these are this would explain the lower H80iV2 reading we were seeing and are no longer seeing. If it's SpeedFan then you MUST stop it doing this.

MSI Afterburner doesn't report any motherboard fan speeds only GPU fan speed.

Twice I have plan to use SpeedFan... but after saw the burning 126c I got scared myself so I do not use it.

Am I the only one to have this "extra" fan speed sensor reading? How about yours? What is the normal the supposed to be way? Only h80iv2 fan and pump no cpu fan ?

Btw with CL4 running , link test always stopped around 4000 test counts.

CL4 on/ MSI AB off

7ce4bdc687.png

CL4 off/ MSI AB on

7cedd942c2.png

Btw with CL4 running , link test always stopped around 4000 test counts.

CL4 on/ MSI AB off - test stops

CL4 off/ MSI AB on - test passes

Thank you for your excellent testing. I managed to reproduce this effect on my H80iGT and found as follows:

1. SIV was failing to report CreateFile() failures. I have fixed this in SIV 5.12 Beta-24, so please update.
  2. When I run [Link Test] while AIDA64 v5.75.3937-Beta is also reporting all is OK :biggrin:.
  3. When I run [Link Test] while CL 4.2.4.25 is also reporting the test fails as below :(:.
  4. If you use SIV 5.12 Beta-24 does the test also quickly fail on your H80iV2?
  5. The CreateFile() failures also explain the lower than expected H80iV2 sample counts ;):.
  6. I suspect the locking code in CL 4.2.4.25 is incorrectly implemented :[pouts:.
  7. I have added a post to the SIV thread about this.
  8. The AIDA64 + CPUID SDK (CPUZ) + HWiNFO + SIV (me) developers will have to deal with this and I have just e-mailed them.

attachment.php?attachmentid=26129&stc=1&d=1470640669

1783964380_LinkTestH80iGTCL4.2.4_25.png.995bf54063c3711737d1158098bad34e.png

Is it safe to have both fans not spinning? I fear cpu will run too hot.

EDIT: I do it anyway hahhaha here it is both unplugged

7c93500601.png

Yes as it will take some time for the coolant to warm up, but not for too long ;):.

The H80iV2 was not reported at all :[pouts:. I suspect this is because to the locking issue.

I suspect there is a hardware issue with your H80iV2 as there is no way a fan speed should be reported when no fans are connected to the H80iV2.

Request as RMA via https://corsair.secure.force.com/home/home.jsp and see what they say. Remember to upload the original invoice. How long have you had the H80iV2? As I recall Corsair pay all the postage if this is <= 28 days. There is also an express option so they send a new cooler before getting the old cooler.

I suspect there is a hardware issue with your H80iV2 as there is no way a fan speed should be reported when no fans are connected to the H80iV2.

Still 4 pin connected to the fan header and there is pump too. Is it really not software related rather than hardware?

Still 4 pin connected to the fan header and there is pump too. Is it really not software related rather than hardware?

It's hardware. Both CL4 and SIV report Fan #2/CPU Fan when no fan is connected to the 4-pin H80iV2 so I expect it's hardware.

I guess it could be an issue with the motherboard. What happens when you connect a fan to the CPU Fan header and the H80iV2 to one of the other headers?

Can i use this? Is it same ?

Yes, it's a superset of the single fan cable, but you need to plug the H80iV2 into the correct header.

One will have four pins and you should use this one. The other three will only have three pins connected with pin-3 being absent or not connected. Pin-3 is the speed signal, see http://www.formfactors.org/developer%5Cspecs%5C4_Wire_PWM_Spec.pdf for the PWM fan specification.

Did you try this please?

yes error if running with CL4

97ecd3590c.png

Do you have a cable similar to as below that you could use to power the H80iV2 so we can be 100% sure it's getting a constant +12 volts?

With EK 4pwm splitter to CHA Fan 2

97f3bbd3f6.png

To CHA Fan 3 /both fans unplugged / Not using EK cable

97fa02a855.png

yes error if running with CL4

With EK 4pwm splitter to CHA Fan 2

To CHA Fan 3 /both fans unplugged / Not using EK cable

Thank you. This is what I expected. We now need to hope that Corsair fix CL4 :[pouts:.

I suspect there must be a hardware issue. When I unplug both fans from my H80iGT a speed of zero is reported, see below. Note the maximums are about the same from when the fans were connected.

Again request an RMA. It's probably a good idea to link to this thread.

Request as RMA via https://corsair.secure.force.com/home/home.jsp and see what they say. Remember to upload the original invoice. How long have you had the H80iV2? As I recall Corsair pay all the postage if this is <= 28 days. There is also an express option so they send a new cooler before getting the old cooler.

attachment.php?attachmentid=26136&stc=1&d=1470734675

67692603_LinkFansH80iGTfansunplugged.thumb.png.6fc8c423ddbb2c929e3f08531a3235d7.png

What problems do you think I will run into the future ?

I don't have spare cooler for cpu since my h105 already used for gpu. Too much a hassle to RMA it, but if there are major problems from that "extra sensor" maybe it is worthy to RMA it.

Archived