Corsair Community

how do you mount radiator + 4 fans on the case?

danteafk

Hi guys

I got myself the corsair 540 carbide with 2x h115i for cpu and gpu, along with 10x corsair 140af fans.

So I have seen pictures where two fans are mounted on one side of the radiator, then again 2 fans on the other side and that whole block is then mounted either on top of the tower or in the front. http://imgur.com/QTExuPV

My question is, how is that screwed/mounted?

Are only 2 screws being used from each side so that 2 are free for the other side?

Unfortunately, that is an H100i 240mm radiator. Depending upon what sits on top your motherboard, push-pull may not be an option with the wider 280mm radiator and 140mm fans.

However, use the standard length 8 x 1 1/4 inch 6-32 screws to bolt the bottom set to the radiator. You will then need a longer set of 8 x 6-32 for the top. How much longer will depend on the casing thickness. The 540 top mount flange is super thin, so technically you can probably use the same length. However, if you wish to use rubber washers, or a mounting gasket or anything else to prevent fan to metal contact, you might need the next length up.

You will not be able to run multiple Link system coolers through the software. It might be possible with a Commander mini, but I do not work with that device and someone else will need to address this possibility.

However, I don't think you want the front radiator to run on water temperature anyway. The front panel will be your only source of intake air in the 540. You will probably need to make a different type of fan curve to make sure they is a constant stream of air into the case. With GPU water cooling, you don't really need the fans to adapt to the load anyway. A constant speed will be fine. You can still use the H115i. You will need a SATA cable for power and hook the fans into a front fan connector. And that makes me realize we have two additional issues.

1) AF140's are a 3 pin DC fan. None of these will work with the PWM fan controllers in the H115. All fan control will have be from another source. The CPU cooled H115 can be hooked into the USB so you can make changes to the lighting and pump speed, but the fans will be controlled elsewhere. The GPU model won't show lights and doesn't need pump speed changes, so it can be left USB free.

2) Push-Pull on the front is going to be tight. You absolutely will have to mount one set of fans on the external front side of the case, but under the mesh cover. It will work with my short 970's, but most of the new 1080 models are longer and thinner. Measure carefully.

This is a lot of trouble on account of the ringer AF140 fans, which were never ideal for this anyway. You'll have to decide if this is really worth the difficulty.

how do I got about using the USB connections for the two aio's and the corsair psu with corsair link? I think my mobo has only one usb connector left.

I suspect you mean USB header which is actually two connections. You can plug two AIOs into this, but I suspect you will need to get a HUB, see http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=759585

You will not be able to run multiple Link system coolers through the software. It might be possible with a Commander mini, but I do not work with that device and someone else will need to address this possibility.

Of yes you can and there is not upper limit on the number of AIO coolers specified. CL4 is happy to deal with my H110iGT + H100i + H80iGT :!:.

None of the latest AIOs can be C-Link connected via a CL Mini so a CL Mini will not help.

I got myself the corsair 540 carbide with 2x h115i for cpu and gpu, along with 10x corsair 140af fans.

The H115i is not windows compliant and you may get strange effects running two of them. See http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=746122 for how to work around this.

I would have used 2 x H110i which do not have this issue and which I prefer in general to the H115i, see http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=796027.

Of yes you can and there is not upper limit on the number of AIO coolers specified. CL4 is happy to deal with my H110iGT + H100i + H80iGT :!:.

Oh, good. I thought you needed SIV for this, but perhaps I mentally was combing the two issues with the H115i.

The H115i does not even fit on the gpu, its way too big on the kraken g10 bracket.

Is the H110i smaller?

but you are right, the frontpanel should stay clear since it's the only source of fresh air into the case.

I'm currently using the h90 for my gpu and the max load temps are 42c which looks pretty good, the radiator gets very hot though. I wonder If I could push the temps further down with an 280, but that would need to go into the front.

Is it OK if I put the h90 radiator on the backend of the tower or will that be bad too since this is like the 'only ' exhaust of the case? The h115i radiator on the top should exhaust right?

H90 and H110 would be my first choice for the 540. If the H90 can get it to 42, how much lower do you need? Air cooled units idle higher than that. It's perfectly fine to use the H90 as exhaust in the rear and the 280mm as exhaust up top. Since you're dumping GPU and CPU waste straight out, you don't need a huge air exchange in the case. Front fans unrestricted for any direct cooling needed.

Once again, there is a potential issue. It's going to be tight at the rear H90 & H110i/H115i junction. This exact pairing has come on several occasions and I believe it fits. However, I am not sure that anyone interested ever pursued it and confirmed. Push-pull would be rather unwieldy unless you mounted one set of fans above the case. Otherwise the lower set would block the top 1/3 of the rear H90 fan.

OK, here is someone that went through with the plan. However, there are a couple of things to note.

1) He is using a H110 (Astek) like mine. It is only 27mm thick compared to the 30mm outer casing on either the H115i or H110i/GT. That may not be an issue, but the larger end caps on the new cooler will make the top 120mm in the front panel a very tight fit. That could be addressed by using 2x140mm in the front, but I prefer 3x120 in the Air 540.

2) H115i hoses will have to go to the front. This is true even without a rear H90. They can't clear the rear fan.

3) H115i fans must be in push below the radiator. Mounting them above the radiator brings the end cap even more into play. See the top picture here. That is not much of a concession and what I would do anyway.

Archived