Corsair Community

Issue with Aquacomputer D5 PWM Pump attached to Commander Mini

profanum429

I'm trying to use the Commander Mini to control my D5 PWM pump + some fans and I'm running into a little trouble and was wondering if anyone else has seen the issue I'm hitting.

I can set the PWM percentage to 100% for the D5 pump but it will only run at ~3800 RPM (it's max is 4800 RPM) and it definitely is not running full speed since if I pull the connector from the Mini the pump ramps up noticeably in speed. I see this behavior with both Corsair Link and SIV so I don't think it's a software issue. I was wondering if anyone else is using the Mini to control a D5, and if so, do you get the full RPM range? Thanks!

Looking at http://www.aquatuning.co.uk/water-cooling/pumps/d5-series/d5-pumps/19181/aquacomputer-d5-pumpenmechanik-mit-pwm-eingang-und-tachosignal then the pump needs 23 watts which is right on the limit of the 2 amps that the CL Mini is specified to supply. The image of the pump has MAX 37 W on it which is over 3 amps :eek:! Given you also have some fans I am also wondering if you are also exceeding the 4 amp overall limit.

I would be inclined to power the pump directly from the PSU with only pins 3 + 4 being connected to the CL mini. I would also check the mode to make sure the CL Mini detected it as 4-pin PWM.

attachment.php?attachmentid=26114&stc=1&d=1470465836

1722629231_LinkFansmode.thumb.png.5688746baaefdb87483d7160d74d02a7.png

Ahh, oops, I forgot to mention the pump is running off of a molex, the only pins going to the Commander Mini are 3 and 4 for the RPM signal and the PWM signal :) So it shouldn't be coming anywhere close to the power limit of the Mini, hopefully, haha.

Just did this morning; it's showing mode 03. Here is a screenshot of it :)

The mode should be 83 and it being 03 means the CL Mini has failed to detect the pump. I have no idea what effect this will have on the firmware.

If you press [Link Fans] is the mode still 03? I plugged a 2-pin fan into a CL Mini and it also failed to detect it, so I suspect it's the RPM it uses to decide a fan is there.

The mode should be 83 and it being 03 means the CL Mini has failed to detect the pump. I have no idea what effect this will have on the firmware.

If you press [Link Fans] is the mode still 03? I plugged a 2-pin fan into a CL Mini and it also failed to detect it, so I suspect it's the RPM it uses to decide a fan is there.

There it goes, when I press 'Link Fans' the mode changes to 83, but I don't get any more ability to go above about 3800 rpm at a PWM value of 255. I can definitely drop it down but I'm still missing the top 1000 RPM from the pump :(

pump_screen2.thumb.png.f73bda9c802c094cda5496ff095b676f.png

There it goes, when I press 'Link Fans' the mode changes to 83, but I don't get any more ability to go above about 3800 rpm at a PWM value of 255. I can definitely drop it down but I'm still missing the top 1000 RPM from the pump :(

When you got the extra 1000 RPM was that using the same 12 volt supply of a different supply?

When connected to a different CL Mini port what happens?

The only other thing I can think to check is the PWM waveform, but I suspect you don't have an oscilloscope so can't. It's only 25 KHz, so I suspect http://www.ebay.com/itm/300992154516 would be fine.

BTW the screen shots are 3456 x 648 pixels which is silly and you should crop them.

Woops, sorry about the image sizes, didn't notice Paint had a huge canvas when I was pasting! Fixed them now, they are a more reasonable size :)

Yep, same PSU. If I disconnect the PWM header from the CL Mini it'll automatically bump up to 100% duty cycle since no PWM signal is detected by the pump. I can hear the change and also see a noticeable difference in the reservoir where the water is returning.

I've tried all 6 of the ports on the CL Mini and see the same behavior on all of them :(

I can probably borrow an oscope from work but that'll have to wait until Monday rolls around unfortunately. Thanks for the troubleshooting help! :)

I can probably borrow an oscope from work but that'll have to wait until Monday rolls around unfortunately.

That's handy :biggrin:, you may find http://www.formfactors.org/developer%5Cspecs%5C4_Wire_PWM_Spec.pdf useful.

It just occurred to me that you could connect the pump pin-4 to +5 volts and this should set 100% PWM. What is the pump speed when you do this?

It would be worth checking the sample counts on cooling status to confirm that the pump is reporting it's RPM 100% of the time.

attachment.php?attachmentid=26124&stc=1&d=1470504619

Note the 1,999s are expected as those fans are multiplexed and the DIMM temperature reading is deferred.

1349855189_CoolingStatus.png.bceac525126260280a20c462c490274c.png

Archived