Corsair Community

Disappointing RMA Experience

First off, I'd like to say that I am a pretty big Corsair fan. I've been a huge supporter and advocate for them since I built my first hardcore rig with Corsair memory back in 2005. Since then, I've used Corsair memory for all my subsequent builds, and builds for friends and family. With my most recent build, I got into some new Corsair products. I bought the enormous and expensive D900, which I love, and fully intended to fill with fancy water cooling equipment. Instead of building a custom loop I put in a couple H100i's and an H80i, because Corsair. I even fitted it with a nice AX1500i. All-in-all really impressed. So when my dad asked for a new computer, I figured I'd build him something reliable that I could trust, since he lives across the country and I can't be there to fix it anymore. So I hooked him up with a nice 650D, more Vengeance memory, an H100 of his own, and another top of the line AX760i. Everything worked great, and he loved his rig. Until, I get a call saying it wont turn on. Well, I can't really diagnose it over the phone, so I have him take it into a shop to have it looked at, and I end up paying for a diagnostic to find out that the PSU was bad. Okay, no big deal. I've RMAd RAM through Corsair before, and it was a super simple, painless process.

Not so this time. I shipped the PSU back to Corsair, at my own hefty expense, and it was received on the 25th. An entire week later, on the 2nd of August, I get a correspondence back stating that they needed my approval to swap it out with an AX860. That's totally fine, it's just as good as the 760i, and I don't need the link functionality for it. But it's been an entire week at this point. Chat support was no help, only telling me that it was ready for pick up and that it would get there when it got there. No promises. I have my dad calling and asking where the replacement is. He needs to use his computer. I have no choice now but to pay someone to replace his PSU and cover the cost of a different unit since he needs it before next week.

This product, the AX760i, is advertised as a "flagship" product. It is apparently the top of the line power supply line that Corsair offers, not the highest in terms of watts, but still top tier. Despite this, it died. I get it that things happen, but I would expect a better RMA process and better customer service for a "flagship" product. I'm left at a weird cross road. I love my Corsair products, but I'm deeply dissatisfied at the customer service that I have received. It isn't often that things go wrong, but when they do, I'd appreciate some empathy. No matter how much I love a product, if I can't rely on it, or the people that support it, then I can no longer advocate for it.

• 3 weeks later...

So a final update to this experience.

First, thank you Technobeard, whatever you did seemed to make whoever was in charge of the RMA realize that they had forgotten about it.

I finally received the replacement three weeks after it arrived at Corsair. According to the notes placed on my ticket, the person in charge "dropped the ball", aka "forgot" about the RMA. I'm not sure of the exact explanation, as they didn't elaborate. They upped shipping to 2nd day air, which got the package there a day faster than ground. I can only wonder what would have happened if I didn't post on this forum and/or on the ticket comments.

Anyway, I'm glad the experience is over. This was the worst RMA experience I have ever had with any company. Not to mention the worse customer service I've had with a reputable company. The most unfortunate thing is that it seems like Corsair doesn't even really care about it.

• Administrators

You're welcome.

Anyway, I'm glad the experience is over. This was the worst RMA experience I have ever had with any company. Not to mention the worse customer service I've had with a reputable company. The most unfortunate thing is that it seems like Corsair doesn't even really care about it.
Why do you think that? The agent apologized multiple times. You said on the ticket that you were waiting for 2 weeks to see if anything else would be said. What were your expectations after the issue was corrected? After the fact, what would have made this a better customer experience in your opinion?

Why do I think that?

1. I've never experienced a poorer RMA experience from any company, ever. Period. The product either lasts for as long as it should, or the RMA process is quick and easy. I had to follow up and be stern in my responses to the ticket and on this forum to make something happen with this RMA. I shouldn't have to publicly address my dissatisfaction to get results.

2. I've never experienced poorer customer service from a reputable company, especially one that advertises themselves as a high end manufacturer. See number 1 above. The representative forgot about my RMA. It took 3 weeks to receive the replacement. Am I to understand that this is the typical turn around time for an RMA?

3. Nobody from Corsair has expressed real concern for the situation. An apology and a promise that it wont happen again doesn't rectify the time lost from the PSU being down, nor the extra time I had to invest trying to get it resolved. Furthermore, your response to this post expresses zero remorse as a representative of Corsair.

What were your expectations after the issue was corrected?

Our views on "corrected" must be different. Finally remembering to ship something to your customer is not "correcting" a mistake on your part. It took 7 business days from the day the PSU was received to hear my first response from a representative. And then a further 7 business days to finally have it shipped.

After the fact, what would have made this a better customer experience in your opinion?

Follow up. Be accountable. Accept responsibility.

If someone would have followed up with me after the PSU was delivered, to see if everything was okay with it, to see if I needed any help with installation or anything would have been a huge gesture in my book. Or perhaps, a manager, contacting me to talk about the situation, also a huge gesture. That shows genuine concern, it shows that Corsair cares about their customers, and it negates the negative experience. Is that something that I really need to spell out?

Bottom line, as a consumer, I put my trust and money into a company, at my own risk granted, and any typical consumer expects in return from that company a minimal level of customer service and support. My expectation from Corsair were higher, seeing as the brand that they offer is, I assumed, higher end than other brands in the market. I don't purchase a $200 item over a $50 item without the expectation of a better quality component, and better customer service. My Corsair memory is acting up, and now I'm left with the decision to make of either potentially wasting more time and energy with an RMA, or just purchasing new memory. Surely you can understand my hesitation.

• Administrators
I had to follow up and be stern in my responses to the ticket and on this forum to make something happen with this RMA. I shouldn't have to publicly address my dissatisfaction to get results.
You're correct, this shouldn't have been necessary. Steps are being taken to analyze what happened and to prevent it from happening again.

My Corsair memory is acting up, and now I'm left with the decision to make of either potentially wasting more time and energy with an RMA, or just purchasing new memory. Surely you can understand my hesitation.
If you'd like you can PM me the ticket number and I can ask one of our senior agents to keep an eye on it to make sure everything goes smoothly.

Archived