Corsair Community

New build, upgrading air cooler to the 115i

franko2366

I just recently completed a new build and am already in the process of upgrading to water cooling.

I have an H115i on the way and ordered 4 of the ML140 Pro fans to use in a Push/Pull config. After having read several posts here it would seem that unless I have a definite cooling issue, after upgrading to the H115i, a push config will likely be ok.

Can anyone offer any thoughts on this as I have never used water cooling before. In case it is not visible elsewhere it is a i7-6700k in an MSI Z170A Pro Carbon MB inside an Air 540 case. I already have two of the ML140 Pro fans doing intake in the front and an additional one doing exhaust at the back.

Yes, I agree. One set of ML140s is absolutely enough and you will not use all of your RPM band. Push-pull can be advantageous in situations where you must keep the fans below a certain speed or when using less than optimal radiator fans. I haven't found a single pair yet that can't handle normal multi-purpose duties on the radiator. From a practical standpoint, push-pull in the 540 might come very close to the top heatsink. Whether it is possible will be very board specific. I would have to mount one set above the case on my X99. Given the ML140 series is the most expensive 140mm fan you can buy right now, I wouldn't rush out for unneeded extras.

Archived