Corsair Community

H80i v2 and Asus x99 deluxe 2 options

Louiscar

Hi,

I've ordered the Asus deluxe 2 motherboard for my new build and have the h80i v2 cooler but I'm not sure the best way to set this up. Here's what I'm aiming for.

1. Allow Asus full control of case fans so I don't want to completely disable qfan

2. Either allow CL to control the radiator fans as well as the pump

..or

3. Just allow pump control via CL and control radiator fans via Asus

I notice from reading the manual (mb hasn't arrived yet), that they have supplied a water pump header now so I'm assuming that this is completely disconnected from the Qfan system. But right now that's s speculation only.

I also note that a lot of people have headaches setting the coolers up with Asus boards.

I have an old h80 on my p6t deluxe and I ended up having to disable qfan plus it was a pain to have to open the pc to press the profile button when I needed to do some serious number crunching.

So I'm now hoping I can achieve a much better control over the speeds when needed and get the quietest pc when it's not working hard.

Can anyone give their thoughts on the best options given the goals above and also whether option 3 is a viable alternative.

You don't need to disable all of the Q-fan headers, only the one connected to the H80i v2 lead. This most likely will be CPU_FAN. You can use the water pump header and try override the BIOS CPU boot error, however the CPU & OPT fans don't make for useful case fan control. Those two headers (OPT copies whatever CPU_FAN does) are permanently tied to CPU temperature and have different control protocols than all the other headers. Attaching two case fans to them would most likely cause the fans to race up and down continuously. It's is probably easier to connect the H80i directly to CPU fan and set the Q-Fan control to FULL SPEED and PWM. This will immunize that header from any system fan changes and master controls, like those in AI Suite.

The water pump header is a little more useful when you intend to power and control the radiator fans from the motherboard. Fan on CPU&OPT. Pump on water_pump. Water pump header at 100%, 12v, full speed, PWM.

The new version 2 X99 boards are supposed to have fan delays built into the BIOS. This was the only saving grace of AI Suite 3 (one that now no longer works with CPU fan on Win 10). Since AI Suite and LINK tend to get in each other's way, I would suggest not installing AI Suite. It does not have any real value on your board, other than the ability to make an instant change to your case fan speed from the desktop. You will be able to control the radiator fans from the LINK software program.

Thanks for the detailed reply.

I see the bios appears to have a little more sophistication on setting up the profiles for fans, unless I misunderstood, so if I ditched aisuite as you suggest I'd still have reasonable control ?

Your comment about w_pump for pump and cpu_fan+ opt for rad fans was one of the things I was thinking about which seems viable. The manual is pretty vague about this header and when it talks about a water pump it tells you to use cpu_fan not w_pump!

I'm trying to avoid having conflicts and more than one thing responsible for controlling fans and as I said it'd be nice to get all fans to react to workload and ramp down when not needed for quietness sake.

I've also discovered the existence of SIV through these forums so perhaps I'll look into that, however Ai Suite does have other purposes which if useful is it possible to just turn off the fan xpert part?

I'm also getting the Hx750i so Cl might be useful in controlling that but it's not really the main reason I chose that psu.

I'll be sticking with win 7 as long as possible so any 10 considerations won't be an issue till I'm forced to move to it.

All the options seem a bit varied and confusing at the moment but I'm sure I'll figure out a strategy once the gear all arrives and I get a chance to play around and you've been a great help. Thanks again.

however Ai Suite does have other purposes which if useful is it possible to just turn off the fan xpert part?

You should only use CL4 if your don't use AI Suite as AI Suite is poorly engineered and fails to use locks to interlock access to the hardware, see http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141037.

If you choose to run AI Suite this is the only monitoring software you should use.

Q: Corsair Link and ASUS AI Suite don’t seem to work together. What’s up with that?

A: Corsair Link and ASUS AI Suite frequently monitor the same devices in your system. Because of this, they can conflict with one another and cause the other to lock up or be unstable. Please exit out of AI Suite completely before using Corsair Link, and vice-versa.

If you use AI Suite and SIV at the same time then you are effectively playing Russian Roulette :uzi: and you are on your own. All of AIDA64 + CPUID SDK (CL4+CPUZ+HWM) + HWiNFO + SIV should play nicely as they use the correct locks.

That's pretty clear.

However, looking at it's other purposes which don't involve monitoring, such as tweaking ... And I'm not that clear as to whether it has to be always running for those features .. In which case the idea is not going to work, if I were to use it for that, close cl or siv, do what I need to then shut it down and bring cl or siv back. Is that what you are saying?

For instance I understand there's a handy way of getting to the bios without rebooting, tweaking ram timings or overclocking features.

As I say if any other feature I might find useful in AiSuite that requires it to be always running isn't going to work but I'm not clear on that situation right now. I need to read up on how likely I am to want to use those features and exactly what else the suite covers and pit this up against the whole fan control issue.

Unfortunately, Asus tied the quick "Boot Setting" program to AI Suite. It didn't need to and it should be a stand alone program since all it does is re-boot to the BIOS for you without the Delete bashing.

I can understand the desire to use and explore AI Suite when you first get the board. This is normal and most people will do the same. However, a few words of caution. Don't tweak BIOS setting from the desktop. Changes in voltage may or may not be applied and it is never clear whether they are or not. AI Suite may indicate the new value. Another monitoring program will show the old. This also has a tendency to lead to crashes and boot failures when the BIOS cannot rectify the changes on the next boot cycle. It is OK to use AI Suite overclock tuning function. When it's done, it will reboot and properly change the BIOS. After that, don't tweak from the desktop. You can do it from the BIOS.

It's a lot handier to try and develop the case fan curve you want from the desktop. I formerly used several presets for various conditions, but have moved on to one general curve. Fan speed just isn't that critical to normal operation.

You may be able to walk the line in between the programs to some extent. When you first boot, AI Suite will load and stay in the background with the other task bar drop down menu programs. In this state, it is fully functional. I am able to avoid most monitoring conflicts at this point. Once I bring it up and make it active, then it starts polling motherboard readings and causing trouble. AI Suite is a lousy monitoring program. It only polls every 5-10 seconds, depending on the item. However, you can then make your changes, alter fan speeds, etc., and then fully exit the program. That will stop the polling. It will not stop the fan changes. Those are managed on a driver level and run without the program. You can keep whatever fan curve you just made. This may get you through the early days as you sort things out.

What about the epu stuff. Is Asus responsible for slowing the cpu clock on idle. On my current board is one of the things I like. Currently clocked at 4ghz it will slow down to 2.4ghz

when not doing anything. Mind you I'm not sure Ai Suite is doing that or it's a natural speed step function .

Ai Suite for my board was fully functional on xp but when I moved to win 7 it was a shell of what it was. Guess they didn't bother too update it for 7.

What EPU stuff? Are you talking about the ASP0800? That's just the PWM power control for the CPU and is not related to the speed.

Provided you use the Balanced power scheme then the CPU will drop from x20 (4.0GHz) to x12 (2.4GHz) when it's idle.

Yes, ASUS don't bother. If they did then they would implement the locks :asskick:.

What about the epu stuff. Is Asus responsible for slowing the cpu clock on idle. On my current board is one of the things I like. Currently clocked at 4ghz it will slow down to 2.4ghz

when not doing anything. Mind you I'm not sure Ai Suite is doing that or it's a natural speed step function .

All of those functions, both the Intel CPU power savers as well as the Asus board power regulations, are set in the BIOS. AI Suite is only displaying their current status. The one exception is the program linked "power mode" that will change a few of your desktop parameters or fan profiles when you launch a certain program. However, that does not extend to deep lying functions like Speedstep, EIST, or your VRM and memory power profiles. All of those must be changed in the BIOS anyway. They do not rely on AI Suite to function.

BIOS --> F7 (advanced BIOS) --> AI Tweaker menu ---> External Digi Power Control and also Internal CPU Power Management

A few features can also be set in the "Advanced" drop down menu to the right of AI Tweaker.

What EPU stuff? Are you talking about the ASP0800? That's just the PWM power control for the CPU and is not related to the speed.

Provided you use the Balanced power scheme then the CPU will drop from x20 (4.0GHz) to x12 (2.4GHz) when it's idle.

Yep, I just checked on my system now. I in fact don't have Ai Suite running but Ai Nap for whatever that's for is running. I shut it down and yes the cpu does drop as usual. That's good to know this isn't reliant on anything Asus.

BIOS --> F7 (advanced BIOS) --> AI Tweaker menu ---> External Digi Power Control and also Internal CPU Power Management

A few features can also be set in the "Advanced" drop down menu to the right of AI Tweaker.

I must admit from what both of you two are saying Ai Suite is not as useful as they might want you to believe. In which case I'm happy to keep it off the system.

Overclocking I'll do as usual in the Bios, hopefully I'll get the 5930K to around 4.5Ghz which would suit me.

Incidentally, if you decide to drop AI Suite, you can't simply uninstall it. It is rather resilient. You have to use a special driver cleaner to get out all the bits it leaves behind. You can find the link here. Don't use system restore or try new overclock settings until after you run the cleaner. A forced restore can lead to an involuntary OS reinstall when in that limbo state.

Incidentally, if you decide to drop AI Suite, you can't simply uninstall it. It is rather resilient. You have to use a special driver cleaner to get out all the bits it leaves behind.

That's unbelievable!! :bigeyes:

Why can't Asus create a proper uninstall routine instead of having to provide a separate cleaner.

Why can't Asus create a proper uninstall routine instead of having to provide a separate cleaner.

They needed to have a new utility as they failed to get the AI Suite uninstall correcty before they released it.

This would explain why it was initially needed, but recent AI Suites should not need this. Yet more poor engineering.

Worse still, the issue is buried. It's only after the fact you discover you a mere part of it was removed. However, it's not always OS fatal. Sometimes it just launches a warning pop-up every 30 seconds.. in perpetuity. The whole thing is need of an overhaul now anyway. It doesn't seem to be able to control some of its prime tasks on Win 10, most notably the CPU fan speed delays.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got my build up and running - no o/s and just playing with the fans now.

The Asus Bios - Qfan seems pretty buggy to me. eg. I was playing with the options on the two chassis fans and understood that in order to set the curve one has to switch to manual. Immediately noticed that Chassis fan 1 I could set going from a low profile - around 50 (seems DC is limited to this as the lowest). When I tried to set Chasis fan 2 to the same it wouldn't play nice. I couldn't move the first dot anywhere near as low. Wierd - I had to do an optimise first and then it seemed ok but it's very odd.

Anyway having got distracted by that I connected the H100i as though I'd let it control the fans. When firing up the MB as usual they come on full blast, but the quietened down a bit but to me they were still very noisy. I may not be understanding this right now as no O/s and no link software but it seems the internal control won't slow the fans down much on their own.

I then tried connecting the fans to the cpu & opt headers and in the Bios I have a degree of control using the presets but manually it won't let me set the curve - (I seem to remember someone mentioning that anything connected to the cpu headers are divorced from the normal fan control.

Also note the the header for the H100i has only one wire but I guess this is just to give the pump revs.

Right now I'm not sure which way to go. I presume that SIV and or CL will eventually control everything properly once I'm in the O/s but right now the corsair HW isn't slowing the fans down enough (I'd estimate they are running at least 75% or more and it's just too noisy).

Gawd!!

I presume that SIV will eventually control everything properly once I'm in the O/s but right now the corsair HW isn't slowing the fans down enough

You can run SIV from the Windows PE.

1. Copy all the SIV files to say \SIV\ on a USB stick
  2. Boot the Windows CD/DVD/...
  3. Select recovery/admin command window
  4. Plug in the SIV USB drive
  5. Run SIV64X.exe -AIOCTL or SIV32X.exe -AIOCTL as appropriate
  6. Check [uSB Bus] + [Link Devices] to make sure the H100i is detected.
  7. This is only possible with CoolIT coolers/CL Mini as they are HID devices.
  8. It may be possible for Asetek coolers, but you would have to install the special hydros7289-3.6 driver. I have not tried this.

You could also use a mini-USB to USB-A cable and plug the H100i into your Asus P6T Deluxe (X58) system :idea:.

The Asus Bios - Qfan seems pretty buggy to me. eg. I was playing with the options on the two chassis fans and understood that in order to set the curve one has to switch to manual. Immediately noticed that Chassis fan 1 I could set going from a low profile - around 50 (seems DC is limited to this as the lowest). When I tried to set Chasis fan 2 to the same it wouldn't play nice. I couldn't move the first dot anywhere near as low. Wierd - I had to do an optimise first and then it seemed ok but it's very odd.

I then tried connecting the fans to the cpu & opt headers and in the Bios I have a degree of control using the presets but manually it won't let me set the curve - (I seem to remember someone mentioning that anything connected to the cpu headers are divorced from the normal fan control.

There have been some reports of erratic Q-fan behavior on the most recent BIOS and some times those dots are just too slippery. Although it is without visual representation, you can also manually set the points in the Advanced BIOS (F7) --> Monitor tab ---> scroll half way down to the fan section. There you can set all the same parameters plus the dependent variable and PWM/DC selection. I've found I can tab into that area and be done quicker than trying to get the dot to stop on the exact point I want on the graph. Also, the 2nd generation of Asus X99 boards are supposed to have fan delay controls within the BIOS. I haven't seen them on the Q-fan screens and I wonder if they are located in the Monitor tab as well. That is something worthwhile and makes AI Suite completely irrelevant, particularly since it appears to have broken delay controls of its own on the X99 platform.

I am afraid we don't know much about the "default" fan curve on the unit. You can always take temporary control by moving the fans off the pump block and onto the board for now.

You can run SIV from the Windows PE.

1. [*] Copy all the SIV files to say \SIV\ on a USB stick

[snip].......

You could also use a mini-USB to USB-A cable and plug the H100i into your Asus P6T Deluxe (X58) system :idea:.

Sure I could do it with win pe but I'll load win 7 soon, just trying to understand why Corsair's current curve after post is so aggressive and if that would change. I'm guessing it has some kind of nvram which may record settings if not then there's something wrong.

There have been some reports of erratic Q-fan behavior on the most recent BIOS and some times those dots are just too slippery. Although it is without visual representation, you can also manually set the points in the Advanced BIOS (F7) --> Monitor tab ---> scroll half way down to the fan section.

Thanks I'll check that out. I'm still finding my way around the fancy Bios took me ages to figure out just how to disable secure boot.

Also, the 2nd generation of Asus X99 boards are supposed to have fan delay controls within the BIOS. I haven't seen them on the Q-fan screens and I wonder if they are located in the Monitor tab as well. That is something worthwhile and makes AI Suite completely irrelevant, particularly since it appears to have broken delay controls of its own on the X99 platform.

What does the delay actually do? I haven't seen anything in the bios yet to do with that.

I am afraid we don't know much about the "default" fan curve on the unit. You can always take temporary control by moving the fans off the pump block and onto the board for now.

Yes I've done that and of course it's quiet but the only control is one of the presets. But the question is whether the default curve in the block will slow in Windows or if it can only be changed via CL. I have tried to see if I can find some other confirmation of the behaviour. The only real reference I have is a friend's pc which he ordered built and came with H80i V2. This was wired direct and his boot is very quiet even before getting into windows - can hardly hear any fans going.

I've seen some other complaints about it being too loud on the block but some of those relate to the loudness of the stock fans themselves which is a different thing here.

Edit: ok just seen the control in the monitor section - thanks for the heads up - I also see the delay in there - nFan step up and nFan step down, you set a time from a drop down list

Edit2: .... and here's another wierd one - after going back to the Qfan curve I find that in manual I can now adjust the cpu fan curve which it never allowed before. Something a bit flakey going on.

Sure I could do it with win pe but I'll load win 7 soon, just trying to understand why Corsair's current curve after post is so aggressive and if that would change.

I've not got this on the P6T this is on the X99 Deluxe II.

AFAIK on all AIOs the fans initially run at full speed and only slow down after several seconds once the cooler firmware has initialised.

Yes, I know this which is why I specified a "mini-USB to USB-A cable" so the H100i can be connected to an external USB port.

You need to install all the W7 updates before SIV will run on W7 as the driver is SHA2 signed. Until these are installed you could press F8 at boot time and select the driver signing disabled option. See https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/security/3033929?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396. Don't just install that KB as it interacts with other KBs and you could end up with a system that will not boot.

AFAIK on all AIOs the fans initially run at full speed and only slow down after several seconds once the cooler firmware has initialised.

Now that I can adjust the cpu fan curve I switched over to the block and noted the sound and then used Qfan to get the same sound. Transpires that Corsair is reducing the fan after post to around 45%. Of course a rough test based on my ears. Qfan drops it to 27% so 45% may be normal for Corsair a tad noisy and perhaps this changed with the V2 models.

Yes, I know this which is why I specified a "mini-USB to USB-A cable" so the H100i can be connected to an external USB port.

Yes sorry I understood what you meant after I posted and removed the line. Good Idea although it's a bit difficult to do right now.

You need to install all the W7 updates before SIV will run on W7 as the driver is SHA2 signed. Until these are installed you could press F8 at boot time and select the driver signing disabled option. See https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/security/3033929?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396. Don't just install that KB as it interacts with other KBs and you could end up with a system that will not boot.

I'll be installing Win7 ultimate with SP1 to start. I don't know if that includes the required updates. I tend to control what updates are applied since I don't want any of their telemetry crap on my machine.

Hi all. I've been following this thread with much interest as I was having problems with Corsair link for my H80v2. I removed the Corsair link thinking that it was it that was causing the problem of the pump not shown up in Corsair link! Mind you My system is running very nice now. Quiet and cool with the Asus software. I also have the ramp up and down set for a much nicer experience without hunting and speeding up all of a sudden when temps rise or fall.

Cheers.

Mike

Archived