Corsair Community

Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x32GB kit potential issues

mirkoj

Hello,

I have 2x 32GB kit of Corsair Dominator Platinum 2666MHz installed on an Asus rampage v extreme board.

I'm aware that it is recommended to go with single kit but at the time of first purchase I didn't need full 64 GB but as my needs arises I had to add so it wasn't really logical to go for another 64 GB kit and keep 32GB ram in drawer sitting. So yea I've added 1 more 32GB kit identical to the first one.

Now there are two issues I'm having. First one being impossible to get RAM to work on it's declared 2666Mhz speed.

Using auto or XMP profiles doesn't help it is always detected as 2100Mhz something like that.

Second issue is that I'm experiencing a lot of reboots of the system and OC fails as well. System works fine and randomly during times of higher usage it restarts. Higher means doingsome GPU rendering which puts all 4 Titan X GPUs at high usage plus adds some high CPU usage as well 5960x OC at 4.2

Now I don;t know if restarting is for some other reason or it is also tied to some RAM issues but I'm trying to resolve one thing after another.

Are there any ideas how to get my ram to work at it;s declared speed, could it be possible that all or most issues are due to two kits instead of one and finally.. I guess there are no option from corsair to do some replacement or something.. 2for 1 deals :(

Looking for some help!

thanks

• Corsair Employees
Hello,

I have 2x 32GB kit of Corsair Dominator Platinum 2666MHz installed on an Asus rampage v extreme board.

I'm aware that it is recommended to go with single kit but at the time of first purchase I didn't need full 64 GB but as my needs arises I had to add so it wasn't really logical to go for another 64 GB kit and keep 32GB ram in drawer sitting. So yea I've added 1 more 32GB kit identical to the first one.

Now there are two issues I'm having. First one being impossible to get RAM to work on it's declared 2666Mhz speed.

Using auto or XMP profiles doesn't help it is always detected as 2100Mhz something like that.

Second issue is that I'm experiencing a lot of reboots of the system and OC fails as well. System works fine and randomly during times of higher usage it restarts. Higher means doingsome GPU rendering which puts all 4 Titan X GPUs at high usage plus adds some high CPU usage as well 5960x OC at 4.2

Now I don;t know if restarting is for some other reason or it is also tied to some RAM issues but I'm trying to resolve one thing after another.

Are there any ideas how to get my ram to work at it;s declared speed, could it be possible that all or most issues are due to two kits instead of one and finally.. I guess there are no option from corsair to do some replacement or something.. 2for 1 deals :(

Looking for some help!

thanks

Touching up on what I bolded,

It's just the way this works, unfortunately. We try to tell users customers this, but it's harder to even get 2 kits working together the faster the kits become, the lower the voltage is, the tighter the timings are.

ok, after further inspection more detailed here are new things.

even tho both kits got identical product number or whatever I see now that their timing is slightly diferent

1st kit have 15-17-17-35

2nd kit have 16-18-18-35

But evn after removing 1 kit leaving only single one and setting up XMP profile in bios it is STILL reported as 2133MHz in BIOS and in windows.

So.. even single kit is not as it should be?

I'm going to cramp in there hiperx fury also 2 kits that I had in aniother computer and was correctly reporting all the time and see how it goes...

Ok.. here is final result.

First got in 1 HyperX fury kit then another one then both.

They both have same timing ie 15-17-17-35, both are reported in windows task manager->perofrmance as 2667MHz, sepparetely and when together.

On the other side.

Corsair Dominator Platinum kits have difernt timings and none of them is reported iin windows as 2666MHz.

Sooo.. any ideas around? Any way maybe to push both at manual timing to both have 15-17-17-18 maybe that would work?

I'm really not into buying another kit of 64GB and having two pricey kits sitting in my drawer :(

THanks

• Corsair Employees
ok, after further inspection more detailed here are new things.

even tho both kits got identical product number or whatever I see now that their timing is slightly diferent

1st kit have 15-17-17-35

2nd kit have 16-18-18-35

But evn after removing 1 kit leaving only single one and setting up XMP profile in bios it is STILL reported as 2133MHz in BIOS and in windows.

So.. even single kit is not as it should be?

I'm going to cramp in there hiperx fury also 2 kits that I had in aniother computer and was correctly reporting all the time and see how it goes...

Ok.. here is final result.

First got in 1 HyperX fury kit then another one then both.

They both have same timing ie 15-17-17-35, both are reported in windows task manager->perofrmance as 2667MHz, sepparetely and when together.

On the other side.

Corsair Dominator Platinum kits have difernt timings and none of them is reported iin windows as 2666MHz.

Sooo.. any ideas around? Any way maybe to push both at manual timing to both have 15-17-17-18 maybe that would work?

I'm really not into buying another kit of 64GB and having two pricey kits sitting in my drawer :(

THanks

You can always try manual settings, I don't see why not.

I just tried both kits on my other system (5930k, asus rampage V extreme 3.1...)

Same deal as before they are 2133 MHz in windows.

I'm using 6 core CPU preset here that sets RAM to auto beside other things.. will see how it behaves here for now and try manual later.

a bit disappointed that half price hyperx fury is working out of the box, single and both kits even, and what should be corsair flagship ram is not working out of the box even single kit in use :(

Any idea why XMP profile is not working?

Also this looks like case for RMA then?

On the side 2 kits issue, but single kit usage is not working as it should.

• Corsair Employees
I just tried both kits on my other system (5930k, asus rampage V extreme 3.1...)

Same deal as before they are 2133 MHz in windows.

I'm using 6 core CPU preset here that sets RAM to auto beside other things.. will see how it behaves here for now and try manual later.

a bit disappointed that half price HyperX fury is working out of the box, single and both kits even, and what should be corsair flagship ram is not working out of the box even single kit in use :(

Any idea why XMP profile is not working?

Also this looks like case for RMA then?

On the side 2 kits issue, but single kit usage is not working as it should.

Does sound like we might have to RMA the individual kits if you can't get an exchange through the retailer any more.

Ok, after even more research here is final what I've found out

Windows 10 reports RAM frequency incorrectly :)

used cpu z and couple other tools and found out that actually they do work are 2666 but windows 10 still shows as 2133.

on the other hand as mentioned hyper x is shown in both windows 10 and cpu z properly.

so speed part is actually solved.

worse issue is having two kits that are actually two different models :X

CMD32GX4M4A2666C15 DDR4, 2666MHz 32GB 4 x 8GB DIMM, Unbuffered, 15-17-17-35, XMP 2.0 DOMINATOR Platinum, 1.2V

CMD32GX4M4A2666C16 DDR4, 2666MHz 32GB 4 x 8GB DIMM, Unbuffered, 16-18-18-35, XMP 2.0 DOMINATOR Platinum, 1.2V

Retailer messed up 2nd kit when ordered, difference in one number and voala.. need to solve this.

Now thinking either to try and sell these two and get one kit, or try to sell only 1 and get another 32 proper kit....

it will be hard to sell both.. but also risking again if seling one and trying again... ugh

Windows 10 reports RAM frequency incorrectly :)

used cpu z and couple other tools and found out that actually they do work are 2666 but windows 10 still shows as 2133.

Windows 10 reports what the BIOS reports, see http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=865080.

If you post the SIV initial screen, [sPD Summary] and [DIMMs] panels I could comment further.

Archived