Corsair Community

H100i GTX CPU overheating

brianfist

My CPU has started to overheat and throttle. I have reseated and re-applied thermal paste and checked mounting.

The H100i GTX temperature stays low (30's) while temperature on the CPU jumps rapidly in stress tests and thermal throttles within 30-60 seconds. Pump and Fans on Performance.

I've noticed the only one hose is hot and the other is cool which doesn't seem right. Blockage?

CorsairLink reports no errors and fans and pump are spinning per reporting.

I've dropped the CPU to stock settings. 4790k and ambient temps are low.

Something is borked!

You need to be specific with the ambient room temperature. If it's 25C in your room and 31C at the water, that's pretty normal. Usually a blockage, partial or otherwise, will result in very high water temperatures (H100i GTX Temp) in the 50C+ range. A stable water temperature, but instantly high, erratic, and/or jumpy CPU core temps usually indicates a contact problem with the pump block and CPU. This can be from a messy TIM application or the usual physical contact problem arising from the fiddly backplate.

Water temp at idle is 35-37c and room temp is 22-23c. During stress tests (AIDA 64) it hits 41c and then I stop tests as stuff starts throttling and I don't want to do damage.

Edit: Just swapped this out for my old CM Hyper-T2 ($15 cooler) and throttling is gone. Max temps are low 80's. I cannot find any problems with the mount on the H100. It's very snug and there is no play. This has been working fine for a year until now. I'm using Grizzly Thermal Compound. Why is one hose so much hotter than the other? I have a H110 GT in my other rig and it doesn't do this under load.

Also note the radiator and fans are perfectly clean. I've completely cleaned everything out during troubleshooting. Have submitted a trouble ticket to corsair. Want pictures?

Something is borked...

Plus 10-12C water temp over ambient temp at idle? About twice what is expected, although other environmental factors can account for this. One warm hose, one cool. Also a little concerning as well, but not conclusive.

When you have a partial flow restriction and you initiate AIDA or any other test program, your beginning CPU temp should be OK (probably mid 70's for 35C water), but then both the CPU and water temp should start climbing a little too quickly. Based on the information you have added, it sounds like this is what's occurring. If it goes up to 41C water temp in 60 seconds or so, that is a problem. If it takes it 5 minutes to get there, then that sounds like an environmental issue where the cooler is blocked, can't shed it's heat, restricted fans, etc.

Chances are this is a partial blockage and it is not going to get better. However, mailing the thing is a pain, so make sure the symptoms really fit the problem. Do the Advance RMA if you can to cut the shipping time down.

Before things went south I was running 1.278v (Turbo only voltage) voltage at 4.7 GHZ.

For stock I set turbo voltage to 1.261 (I don't use auto). Even then the voltage was jumping to 1.305 in AIDA 64, so it was completely ignoring my setting. I know with AVX Haswell chips tends to do that, but even 1.305 shouldn't be causing a melt-down. It goes 90+ pretty fast.

Even CPU stress tests like "Heavyload" which don't trigger the extra voltage would go past 90 if left going a little longer. Something is off. I'm waiting for Corsair to contact me but I think I have to wait until Monday.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived