Corsair Community

Advise on DDR4 Memory

omidsolo

Hi,

I've obsession so much, please help:

I bought a pair of Dual Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 32GB (2 x 16GB each one) 3000MHz CL 15.17.17.36 totally 4 modules and 64 GB to use in my very high-end new PC.

My SSD is unfortunately is not Corsair, it's Samsung 950 Pro 512 GB.

I hope Corsair will make something similar to that one in the near future.

I was bothering myself if I return the 4 modules and buy Corsair highest performance models like Dominator Platinum series, same 64 GB bus 3000, but a litter less timing, in my high end system with i7 6700K and GTX 1080 will I really feel the any difference in speed between Dominator Platinum and Vengeance LPX in real use and their speed difference is really noticeable or I will just waste lot of money?

If it's really noticeable at both 64 GB 3000MHz and 15.17.17.36 vs a lower one which is Dominator Platinum, how much is that?

Thanks for advise.

Cheers.

You probably need to add some more detail for anyone to give you an accurate answer. I am going to assume this is still for the Asus Z170 Work-station board and a 6700K. Whether you really need 64GB or if 32GB is enough will depend on the professional applications you need to run and you should list them. For general purpose use, the capacity and timings at 3000+ won't matter. However, for certain applications and task every little bit can help and this is best addressed by someone using those same programs.

Thanks,

My config is:

MB: Asus Maximus VIII Ranger

CPU: i7 6700K

Ram: 4x16 GB = 64 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000MHz CL 15.17.17.36

SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512 GB 2.5 GB Read 1.5 GB Write

VGA: Asus GTX 1080

Power: Corsair HX1000i

My question is that although I have 64 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000MHz CL 15.17.17.36, but if I change it to Corsair Dominator Platinum with same size and 3000 MHz and less CL speeds (faster), will I achieve a noticeable higher performance and speed in mid-heavy works?

If the difference is not noticeable in real, it's much better to stay with LPX series and don't waste much money on Dominator series.

Please advise, the difference is noticeable?

I Hope no.

If yes, how much?

Please advise if you're sure...

• Corsair Employees
Thanks,

My config is:

MB: Asus Maximus VIII Ranger

CPU: i7 6700K

Ram: 4x16 GB = 64 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000MHz CL 15.17.17.36

SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512 GB 2.5 GB Read 1.5 GB Write

VGA: Asus GTX 1080

Power: Corsair HX1000i

My question is that although I have 64 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000MHz CL 15.17.17.36, but if I change it to Corsair Dominator Platinum with same size and 3000 MHz and less CL speeds (faster), will I achieve a noticeable higher performance and speed in mid-heavy works?

If the difference is not noticeable in real, it's much better to stay with LPX series and don't waste much money on Dominator series.

Please advise, the difference is noticeable?

I Hope no.

If yes, how much?

Please advise if you're sure...

No difference in performance at all, at least not for gaming.

Just remember that 2 kits used together are not guaranteed to work at the rated frequencies, or tighter timings, lower voltage, if at all.

There is no reason to change. CL14 vs CL15 would be barely noticeable in benchmarks and unintelligible in application use. More importantly, I think that would be really pushing your luck with the IMC. Not everyone can get 4x16 modules to run at 3000. Mixing sets and tightening timings at that volume is asking for trouble.

Archived