Corsair Community

Red-Ray, Request for Corsair Cdr Mini Info

Greg7579

I was advised on another forum to not use the Motherboard software / bios to control the new Corsair ML series fans, because they don't do well with VCC (voltage) control but should be controlled by pure PWM headers. PWM control is greatly preferred for these new ML fans. So I decided to order the Corsair Commander Mini and it will go inside the Corsair 750D Air Flow, and control 4 case 140mm ML Pro LED fans, plus two 140 mm fans attached to the Corsair H110i cooler (using two ML Pro LED fans to replace the stock fans), and also connect the Corsair cooler and fan that comes with the new MSI GeForce 1080 SeaHawk.

Is that a mistake? I saw posts that heavily criticize Link software and I am planning to hook everything to that Commander Mini, but apparently Version 4 works much better with the Commander Mini.

I also saw a post where the Corsair PSU, HX10001, would not connect to the Commander Mini. Is that true?

I'm not feeling good about this. Maybe I should use the MoBo fan headers instead of this Commander Mini....

Here is the build:

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/RrPYHN

1. I was advised on another forum to not use the Motherboard software / bios to control the new Corsair ML series fans,
  2. because they don't do well with VCC (voltage) control but should be controlled by pure PWM headers.
  3. PWM control is greatly preferred for these new ML fans.
  4. So I decided to order the Corsair Commander Mini and it will go inside the Corsair 750D Air Flow, and control 4 case 140mm ML Pro LED fans
  5. plus two 140 mm fans attached to the Corsair H110i cooler (using two ML Pro LED fans to replace the stock fans),
  6. and also connect the Corsair cooler and fan that comes with the new MSI GeForce 1080 SeaHawk.
  7. Is that a mistake?
  8. I saw posts that heavily criticize Link software and I am planning to hook everything to that Commander Mini, but apparently Version 4 works much better with the Commander Mini.
  9. I also saw a post where the Corsair PSU, HX10001, would not connect to the Commander Mini. Is that true?
  10. I'm not feeling good about this. Maybe I should use the MoBo fan headers instead of this Commander Mini....
  11. Here is the build: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/RrPYHN

I pondered if I should reply at all as your post lacks structure and fails to have links, but felt I should as it was addressed to me so I gave it some structure.

1. You have failed to provide a link, so I can't comment.
  2. AFAIK this is the situation. PWM fans are PWM fans and not voltage fans.
  3. In general PWM gives far better control than voltage control. I always use PWM fans on my main systems, though I do use voltage fans for testing SIV.
  4. OK, I have 4 x CLCC :eek:
  5. Good choice. The CoolIT H110i is the only Corsair cooler I would use as the Asetek protocol is Mickey Mouse, see http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=795986.
  6. I assume the SeaHawk fans are connected to the CL Mini which should be fine.
  7. Time will tell. Given the total cost the $60 for the CLCC is in the noise.
  8. If these were my posts I would not be surprised, but again you failed to specify URLs so I can't comment. Obviously I do not use CL4 other than for testing CL4 and SIV interlocking.
  9. Rubbish!, yet again you failed to specify the URL.
  10. I use CL Minis and my SIV utility to control them as do others. Note that LicSqualo has a CLCC attached HX1000i :biggrin:.
  11. I assume you will update your PC specs to specify this.

Red Ray, on point 1 I just wanted your opinion on controlling these new ML fans vis the Commander Mini vs the MoBo.... Here is the link to the Thermal Bench that reviewed the new ML fans and see the posts between me and the author about this issue.

http://thermalbench.com/2016/07/12/corsair-ml120-pro-120-mm-fan/#comment-774

He basically said that my Motherboard has only 1 of the 5 fan headers that are true PWM. 4 are VCC.

I guess I am going to get the Commander Mini and hook everything to it -- PSU, case fans, CPU AIO water cooler, GPU water cooler...

You are the one that convinced me on a very long lesson a few weeks ago to get the H110i because of the CoolIt vs Asetek firmware argument.

On Point 9, I saw a question to you about this but can't find it now. You told a guy that you can't connect the PSU he had to the CL Mini -- you have to use the USB.... Maybe I misunderstood it. But he had a 1000 watt Corsair PSU and he could not connect it to the Commander mini, or maybe I misunderstood. Can't find it, but t worried me because I'm going the route of connecting everything to that Commander Mini and using the Corsair Lin software for everything. That was a tough build decision for me because of the negative comments on this forum.

I am building my rig as soon as the MSI 1080 Seahawk hits the shelves. It has a built-in Corsair water cooler... And no ... I don't know what I'm doing. I'm studying hard though....

1. Without the link for #9 I can only guess. I recall posts about connecting a PSU via a H115i or H110i which is impossible, but can't think I would ever have specified a PSU can't be connected via a CLCC. A H110i can't be connected via a CLCC, so maybe I said that and you misread the post.
  2. I don't have any ML fans, but I have never seen an issue with my CLCCs controlling any fan I have connected. They struggle with 10,000 RPM fans, but this will not be an issue for you.
  3. I can't remember all the users I have pointed towards the H110i. It would have been handy if you had linked to that thread.
  4. I feel you need to put the system together and see how CL4 does. If it's not as you would wish then maybe SIV will be.
  5. BTW CL 4.2.4.25 won't report your Samsung 950 PRO, but unless Corsair mess up the next release will.

Archived