Corsair Community

H100iGTX airflow problem

NovaShaft

Hi,

I have been using H100iGTX as exhaust through the top on my Phanteks enthoo luxe case. I didn't see any bad temperatures, but after a while I started to notice how the top dust filter started to become extremely hot.

This is causing my water temperature to go up to 46c when I'm using programs such as chrome or skype.

I have removed the top dust filter for now. I know that Corsair recommends h100i fans to be set as intake. It looks like I have to do that or I could just not use the dust filter, which is a quite stupid solution.

I'm just not sure how bad the airflow in my case will become. Should I change my fan layout?

I have included a quick paint graphic to show my current fan setup and airflow.

Ps. When not using the top dust filter my water temp is about 38c and 5820k sits at 35-8c

luxe_flow.thumb.jpg.ce21b62c1b1740a9e28d007cb926c0b8.jpg

after a while I started to notice how the top dust filter started to become extremely hot.

Am I correct in that this filter is above the H100iGTX?

Assuming so then it being there is pointless as you are exhausting air and it's only sensible to have a dust filter on an intake.

Having the filter on an exhaust will keep dust inside the case and restrict airflow so I would have removed when I built the system.

I would also ditch the filter. You don't need any more resistance across that pathway and using it has dubious benefits unless you are in some sort of extreme environment.

On that note, your water temperature with the filter off is still rather high. 38C water temp when on the desktop? Do you have a very warm room (30C+)? Even at 1.35v this is outside of the expected range.

Do not set the fans to intake. The "mount the fans as intake" recommendation used to be better phrased to reveal its true nature. It's a disclaimer. It does not mean using the cooler as intake is the best for your system or mounting location. It means in a controlled environment with no other factors involved, moving cooler air through the radiator will give you better temperatures than using warmer air. A bit like saying using your PC in a cold room will give you better temperatures than in a hot room. Just to make the situation worse, the strengthened language now comes with a diagram showing the fan and airflow as top exhaust. Confusing to say the least for anyone not used to doing this and you are about the 5th person this week to cite it. This is probably something that needs to be addressed officially at the top of the cooling section as a sticky.

Am I correct in that this filter is above the H100iGTX?

Yes, This is correct. The thing is, removing the top dust filter will leave the top section very open. Of course this should be safe 99% of the time because I don't really move my computer anywhere and it sits on my desk.

Added a image for this.

On that note, your water temperature with the filter off is still rather high. 38C water temp when on the desktop? Do you have a very warm room (30C+)? Even at 1.35v this is outside of the expected range.

I would say approx. 27c+

And now that you mentioned the temp. It's currently 41c, fans at 1200rpm, pump in performance 3150rpm (I use custom fan profile, BIOS control is not in use or AI suite 3). I was gone for few hours today and just left my computer open with chrome.

I take my radiator off the pc (not the pump) when I clean my computer once a few months or so. I do remember that cpu temp was usually much lower @ 32-34c after that. Problem with water flow? :(

Added a image for my h100igtx setup. (Sorry about my current cable management)

I had to flip the pump upside down because of my motherboard layout. I couldn't connect the corsair link cable. Surely that wouldn't affect my performance?

from_inside.thumb.jpg.626d3b99eb6e405a8e90d66cdf546d71.jpg

dust_filter_off_top.thumb.jpg.56d6c1bd0b98bf0f3f8daf0abe9e7f7c.jpg

Just to very clear... your H100i GTX Temperature (water temp) is 41C with a browser on the desktop? We are not talking about package temp, "CPU" temps, or individual core temps? If the fans are only at 1200 rpm, you must have set a custom fan profile, otherwise they would be near maximum speed. That's fine and it shouldn't matter if you scrubbed the fans down to 600 rpm. That is above my maximum load water temp on similar hardware. Pump orientation should not matter.

However, if the LINK USB cable is not connected, where does the H100i GTX (water temp) data come from?

What happens to your water and core temps when you run any kind of moderate load?

Just to very clear... your H100i GTX Temperature (water temp) is 41C with a browser on the desktop? We are not talking about package temp, "CPU" temps, or individual core temps?

Correct: It's the water temp. Cpu cores are usually at 38c. Package around 47c

If the fans are only at 1200 rpm, you must have set a custom fan profile

Yeah, I use custom a fan profile

However, if the LINK USB cable is not connected, where does the H100i GTX (water temp) data come from?

Oh, yeah sorry my last reply wasn't really clear. I couldn't use corsair link cable when the pump/logo orientation was normal. USB was blocked by motherboard vrm

I had to flip the pump so I could use link cable. That's why I was worried if it could somehow affect cooling performance.

What happens to your water and core temps when you run any kind of moderate load?

When I'm streaming and gaming at the same time, cpu is around 70+c. This is at 40% load. My 5820k is overclocked @ 4.1ghz

I did notice worrying temperatures when rendering a video. Cpu temperature was around 80-90c. This was only 2 min render, utilizing 100% of cpu.

Water temp max peak has been around 50c

The water temperatures are definitely warm. How hot does your 780 Ti get? The 980 Ti is enough to alter the entire internal case temp. I didn't think the 780 was quite so bad, but how does your water temperature compare to motherboard, drive, or any other internal temp sensor - load or idle?

In order for me to hit 50C on water temp with a 5820K, I would need to load a stress program and limit the fans to their absolute minimum. Then let it run for several hours. My H110 is bigger, but there shouldn't be that kind of difference.

You seem to managing it all fine, but it might be worth pursuing to see if the extra heat is an environmental symptom or if there is a problem with the cooler. Easiest way to do that is run a minor stress test like AIDA64 or Intel XTU for 5-10 minutes. Don't run it after prolonged use and doing it at cold boot in the morning would eliminate any latent heat in the case, although normally with slightly flattering results. Take a water temp at the start, the end, and then another 10 minutes after the run stops. Water temperature should be slow to change, up and down. I am concerned the render takes you 80C+ so quickly. If the stress test takes you past 80C right away, stop. At 4.1 and probably 1.15-1.20v you should not come anywhere near 80C on a stress test.

I had 7 hour game session that I also streamed to youtube. The water temp stopped rising at 51c and cpu was about 60-74c the whole time. 780TI goes to 80c when gaming. H100igtx fans were around 1800rpm.

fbe168568590b2e7b245315028eec48a.png

This is all my temps right after a cold boot. Water temp gradually rises to 41c and stops there. Doesn't get usually lower or higher.

b7722c462d2b7275c9fd22afb1131cad.png

b02b9426843fde5efe08852f8f14d819.png

Intel XTU stress test right after the boot. It jumped immediately to 80c+

I also noticed the pump doing a rather louder noise than before. Switching to Silent mode on corsair link makes the cpu temps about 5c+ higher but stops the noise.

Here's a quick recording of it: [ame]

[/ame]

It's louder than it sounds on the video.

Something is definitely wrong, but the symptoms are mixed. Your water temperature is way out of normal range when gaming. There are a number of factors both environmental and pump/cooler related that can contribute to this. However, if the XTU test it jumps to 80C right on the drop, that's +50C over water temp and screams contact issue. For comparison, my 5930K on the same 5 minute test rockets right to 56C package temp and the core softly undulate between 50-58C during the five minutes. Starting and ending water temp is the 27-28C range with a room temp at 25C. I am running with more volts (1.275v) and although my 280mm H110 is larger, it sure as hell isn't 30C better than any other cooler. Fans didn't even go past 1100 during the test.

I really doubt you have a physical contact issue. The 2011-3 socket is too easy. A messy TIM application is a possibility, but I want to get some very specific information from you first that I can't quite see in the graph.

If there is a flow restriction (and not a TIM problem), I would expect your first CPU core temperatures to be in the mid to lower 60C's when starting from a 33C water temp. (Package temp is weird on HW-E. Often runs 7-10C warmer than your hottest core. Mine is +14C over the cores while I am typing this. Let's save that mystery for another time and stick with physical core temps.) XTU normally has a very easy to discern wave loading pattern, like a soft sine wave. However, if the water flow is restricted, that 60's core temperature should start to slowly increase, almost like you are counting up. 62, 63, 64... and it will keep going until whenever you stop the test. At the same time, the H100i GTX water temp will also do the same. 33, 34, 35.... The exact rate is always different, but you would be +10-20 over where you started within 1-2 minutes.

In your XTU shot, I can only see package temp. Can you confirm this is what's happening with the core and water temps?

So I ended up taking my PC apart because I messed up with few screws and dropped them.. I couldn't find them and didn't want to test my luck with murphy's law.

I can be a bit overkill with safety.. Well, while I checked everything I flipped h100igtx pump and reapplied thermal paste. I don't think this problem has anything to do with thermal paste or with the pump contact; But I want to test everything just to be sure.

When I booted back I had 30c-34c on all my cpu cores. Water temp was 33c: I left it be for about 20 mins and had only changed by few degrees. Water temp was the same, give or take few +0.4c

I tested XTU for about a minute. In about 10 seconds I was at 70-80c: During this water temp had risen to 39c. I stopped the stress test and wanted to see how much the temperature would go down. 30 mins later water temp is stuck at 38c. All the cpu cores are at 36-8c expect one with 40c.

Also the pump noise is gone again, but that probably doesn't have anything to do with temps.

Based on the information we have, I think you have a partial blockage somewhere in the cooling system. It is still minor which allows you to use and load the system without a catastrophic result. However, this isn't something that goes away and you can't repair it without stripping the whole thing down. You need to RMA the cooler. Start a support ticket.

The only thing that can potentially cause this condition is if you restrict the radiator's ability to let off its heat, whether by physical obstruction, excessive dust, or locking the whole case in a cabinet. However, the other than putting plastic warp across the fins, I am not sure if you get the water to go +6C in 10 seconds.

This is the key information to transmit to the support ticket. The initial core temp spike is normal. The water temp rise is and subsequent hold at a higher elevated temps is not normal.

I tested XTU for about a minute. In about 10 seconds I was at 70-80c: During this water temp had risen to 39c. I stopped the stress test and wanted to see how much the temperature would go down. 30 mins later water temp is stuck at 38c. All the cpu cores are at 36-8c expect one with 40c.

To clarify, Water temp went +6c in one minute with XTU, not 10 seconds. However the temp hold happens every time with any kind of load on the system.

Thanks a lot for your help! I will start a RMA support ticket with corsair.

Is this a common problem?

I am no expert, but it looks like it isn't cooling quite well. Do you think I should get H110i GTX?

I hope this ain't a common issue.

I think it'd be good if corsair changed the radiator fins with something more heat-conductive. Something that carries heat more efficiently.

To clarify, Water temp went +6c in one minute with XTU, not 10 seconds. However the temp hold happens every time with any kind of load on the system.

Thanks a lot for your help! I will start a RMA support ticket with corsair.

Yeah, that's till too much. You can make desperate counter arguments and blame BIOS voltage settings and the stress test program for the rapid water temp rise. However, there is no good explanation for its inability to remove the heat once the load the stops. There is no 'heat soak' in a 5 minute test and a physically obstructed radiator is the only other realistic possibility, which we have ruled out.

Thought I'd do a small and probably my last update:

Bad news:

The water temps went recently incredibly bad. It goes now to 50c when I'm simply using chrome and some background programs.

I will try to shake the cooler if it would make things more safe for few more days.

Good news:

I called corsair support to change my standard rma to express. I will be getting h100i v2 soon.. Thank god.

I'm just glad that I started investigating the cooler before I would have started killing my cpu.

Archived