Corsair Community

H100i v2 fan stop using Q Fan Control on Asus Maximus VIII Hero

dspazio

Good morning!

I have a brand new H100i v2 (the "jet engines"). It's serving me well and I've no further complains.

Living on souther Spain, my ambient temperatures are quite high, hitting 30ºc or more sometimes until the A/C unit flow arrives where the computer is located at. After few weeks polishing the most heavy undervolt available on my i6700k (4GHz @ 1.088v LLC3) I'm very satisfied with the temps.

I know (because I'm a silent lurker of these forums) that isn't possible to set 0 RPM on fans using Corsair link. My fan rotation speed depends on coolant temperature and pump does well on both quiet and performance mode. So here's the question:

The motherboard can use DC mode to control voltage of water pump header.

Using AI Suite 3 I can "stop" both pump and fans (and Windows 10 alerts me with an "USB device disconnected" sound). So If I draw a soft curve, and set my pump to performance mode, I can reach same rotation level of pump as quiet mode but fans eventually stop until coolan gets enought temperature and both fans and pump increases its speeds

So I got it, my cpu undervolted, my fans stopped and my pump working, kinda passive cooling until CPU gets busy.

Any flaws? I would love to know your suggestions or advices about this thing. (FYI I'm not using bios fan control of said header, so everything is controlled by corsair link as usual)

Don't hesitate to ask anything and oh well, sorry for my English but spend money on coolers is quite more fun than learn English on the academy. Thanks for your time.

The pump and fans are PWM motors. Reducing the voltage below 12v through AI suite/BIOS is not beneficial to their longevity. Don't ever let the pump stop and given your warm air temperatures this time of year, do you really want zero fan speed? The lowest possible speed on the fans would be a measurable improvement over zero. If Link will not allow you to set the fans as low as you like, Red-Ray's SIV software may. I'll let him address that.

You are using AI Suite and LINK to try and control the fans at the same time? Your BIOS Q-fan settings play a part in this whether you like it or not. AI Suite takes the DC/PWM settings as base and then overrides the speed controls as Windows loads. I have no idea how LINK will interact with two other control mechanisms.

I think what you really need is a softer set of 120mm fans for the radiator. The SP120L grey fans are designed for maximum performance. Not too many people need 2000+ speeds. If you are willing to sacrifice a few degrees of CPU temperature (which you clearly are), then a fan blade with a slightly more open design and a lower maximum rpm will make your use more pleasant.

Using AI Suite 3 I can "stop" both pump and fans (and Windows 10 alerts me with an "USB device disconnected" sound).

Any flaws?

Yes, several. From what you have said I deduced you have the H100iV2 connected to the W_PUMP header so I will reply assuming this.

1. It would be easier to help you if you added your PC specs to your profile, so do this.
  2. There are many posts about CL4 and AI Suite not getting along, so you should not use AI Suite if you are using CL4, in fact any other monitoring program.
  3. The H100iV2 contains a pump but it not a pump and needs a constant +12 volts to operate as designed.
  4. You are getting the "USB device disconnected" message because the +12 volts is being removed from the H100iV2 controller.
  5. Randomly removing and restoring the H100iV2 power is likely to in general cause issues and I suspect shorten the life of the H100iV2.
  6. You should have the H100iV2 connected to a motherboard header with a constant +12 volt supply.
  7. The lowest fan speed possible is about 780 RPM which is 25% PWM and I feel quiet.
  8. I would use CL4 to control the H100iV2 fans and see how things go.
  9. If you need help post your CL4 [Home] tab + H100iV2 fan configuration panel and ask.

If Link will not allow you to set the fans as low as you like, Red-Ray's SIV software may.

The H80iGT minimum PWM % is 25%, no software can get the fans to run slower than that and on my H80iGT with the stock fans I get as below. I expect the H100iV2 is the same.

attachment.php?attachmentid=26007&stc=1&d=1469718976

99489182_H80iGTFansPWMvs_RPM.png.539b4bb980b5e3fc219ff74ae53adee5.png

The pump and fans are PWM motors. Reducing the voltage below 12v through AI suite/BIOS is not beneficial to their longevity. Don't ever let the pump stop and given your warm air temperatures this time of year, do you really want zero fan speed? The lowest possible speed on the fans would be a measurable improvement over zero. If Link will not allow you to set the fans as low as you like, Red-Ray's SIV software may. I'll let him address that.

Oh I'll take a look at that software. Thanks for the heads up!

You are using AI Suite and LINK to try and control the fans at the same time? Your BIOS Q-fan settings play a part in this whether you like it or not. AI Suite takes the DC/PWM settings as base and then overrides the speed controls as Windows loads. I have no idea how LINK will interact with two other control mechanisms.

I uninstalled AI Suite few weeks ago. Currently using BIOS as my fan headers controller. But water pump header isn't being monitored by BIOS, so now I'm running it as intended. (12V Always)

I think what you really need is a softer set of 120mm fans for the radiator. The SP120L grey fans are designed for maximum performance. Not too many people need 2000+ speeds. If you are willing to sacrifice a few degrees of CPU temperature (which you clearly are), then a fan blade with a slightly more open design and a lower maximum rpm will make your use more pleasant.

:biggrin: I like my fans! and those are noisy because 2800 rpm is a thing. I'm fine with the noise of the stock fans and they rarely pass from 40% mark (normal PC everyday tasks). so for now they will stay attached some more time.

Thanks!

Yes, several. From what you have said I deduced you have the H100iV2 connected to the W_PUMP header so I will reply assuming this.

Correct at all Sir.

1. It would be easier to help you if you added your PC specs to your profile, so do this.
  2. There are many posts about CL4 and AI Suite not getting along, so you should not use AI Suite if you are using CL4, in fact any other monitoring program.
  3. The H100iV2 contains a pump but it not a pump and needs a constant +12 volts to operate as designed.
  4. You are getting the "USB device disconnected" message because the +12 volts is being removed from the H100iV2 controller.
  5. Randomly removing and restoring the H100iV2 power is likely to in general cause issues and I suspect shorten the life of the H100iV2.
  6. You should have the H100iV2 connected to a motherboard header with a constant +12 volt supply.
  7. The lowest fan speed possible is about 780 RPM which is 25% PWM and I feel quiet.
  8. I would use CL4 to control the H100iV2 fans and see how things go.
  9. If you need help post your CL4 [Home] tab + H100iV2 fan configuration panel and ask.

I'll answer:

- I think this is fixed now.

- Not using AI Suite anymore. Only CL4 for my cooling needs.

- I was afraid of this too, so I would like to be able to stop fans without reduce the voltage of the whole pump plus controller.

- correct! like shut down the thing.

- To be precise, I was not minding on a "random" scheme. My thoughts were to draw a curve, lets say from 60% to 100% based on CPU temperature. When idle, the voltage feeded to H100i v2 controller were enought to move the pump at reasonable (like quiet mode) speeds and stops the fans due to fall under minimun duty cicle (below 25%) at same time.

- Actually it's connected to water pump header without BIOS Q-fan enable or similar.

- I feel quiet too, so I'm not dealing with a noise problem, but feel intrigued and I would love to archive a passive cooling on autum-winter periods. It's a kind of challenge to me rather than an issue with noise or heat.

- Answered before :sunglasse

- Thank you so much for your explanations and time!

Archived