Corsair Community

RMi 1000 with GTX 1080 2x8PIN

boldenc

Hello,

I'm going to get the RMi 1k for new build and I'm going to water cool the GPU and OC it, it is better to use 2x independent PCI-E cables for each GPU 8Pin connector or use 1x PCI-E cable with 2 connectors connected to the GPU?

The RMi1000 by default is using the Multi-Rail, so the 1xPCI-E will be limited to 40A, is that enough for GTX 1080 2x8PIN Heavily OC'ed?

2x independent PCI-E cables

Each GTX 1080 needs 180 W without overlock and the maximum per cable is 300 W, so you should use two cables.

It's possible that some of the power could come from the two PCIe slots (75W + 25W), but with some motherboards this is not specified in the PCIe SCAP register so is not available.

There are lots of threads about this

So why Corsair put 2x PCI-E connectors in the same PCI-E cable?

It would be better to have single connector on each PCI-E cable for less bulk and easier case management as most of the time we will use use 1x connector per GPU and won't use the other connector. on the same cable.

btw I was referring to single GTX 1080 with dual 8 PIN connector (EVGA GTX 1080 FTW)

Not all GPUs need as much power as an overclocked GTX 1080 so using pig-tail cables is OK.

Six of the PCIe cables that came with my AX1500i only have 1 x 8-pin PCIe connector.

Two had 2 x 8-pin PCIe connectors so I adjusted them with my wire cutters.

Most GTX 1080 only have 1 x 8-pin PCIe, so I suspect EVGA must be expecting the card to need more than 300 watts given it has 2 x 8-pin PCIe.

You should add you PC specs to your profile as that way I would have realised you only have 1 x GTX 1080.

I feel there of lots of things Corsair should do and fail to. Unfortunately I can't resolve most of these are a pair of wire cutters :[pouts:!

They got the PCIe cables right with the AX1500i and in general I feel all PSUs should have 2 x pig-tail and the rest as single.

Another thing I don't like about this PSU, I don't understand why by default this PSU is set to multi 12v Rail mode and not set to Single rail (by default), this is incorrect specification because if you check the PSU sticker, they are clearly only listing a single 12v reading, and that's a marketing scam because I only read the sticker when I bought the PSU and later I read that single Rail mode can only get changed by the software and every time you lose power, you lose the setting so at least keep the setting saved even if I lose the power or add a physical switch to toggle between single and multi rail. EVEN more, there is no marks on the PSU plugs connectors to identify the 12v diagram for each 12v1 to 12v8 so what for example if I used 2 PCI-E sharing the same 12v which I don't want on a multi rail PSU.

I was going to exchange the PSU with the EVGA 850P2 but I kept the Corsair just for Jonny :P

Archived