Corsair Community

H115i in 780T case on X99 mobo

will_s

I see the instructions suggest you put fans under the radiator at top and have them sucking air from out side in. Now having 4 fans sucking in and one blowing out seems funny..........the back 140mm fan would struggle getting the heat out.

I have a spare 140mm fan that I want to put at the bottom of the case and have that sucking air in as well as the 2 x 140mm fans at the front......all these fans have filters and if I have the top exhausting as well as the back that would give intake a slight advantage ( the rad resistance at the top reduces the outflow slightly ) and should give a positive pressure and keep dust out.

Was going to put the fans in the hood on the top but getting the short power cables down is a problem inm this case as there is no cutout ..... except at the back and then the cables wouldnt be long enough

Also I notice that it says the 2011 motherboards dont require a backplate...is that true ?

note: have the H115i but case and mobo arrive tomorrow

No back plate needed on my Asus X99 Sabortooth board.

Also as far as mounting the radiator inside with the fan configuration you hear,

baloney, I mounted mine on the top of the case and also mounted the fans on top of the radiator with a pull configuration.

I had to mod my older case to fit the fans on the top cover but it 's a custom fan shroud and that is a good thing.

I didn't stop there and replaced the new fans with noctua NF-A14 2000 fans for extreme quiet and reliability.

So with mounting the radiator on top rather than inside I gain room for my motherboard power connections, less heat in the case for cooler memory and SLI cards.

Less change of stripping the tiny 6-32 threaded holes on the radiator as your not holding up the fans rather laying down with light pressure and not to mention easy replacement.

Attach the radiator and the fans as shown. For the best

cooling performance, we recommend mounting the fans

as an air-intake to your PC case.

these instructions show air intake to case that is not blowing inside to out

Surely the arrows show the direction of the airflow. If not what do they show?

Either was I feel it's better to exhaust the hot air as although the CPU will be slight warmer the internal case temperature will be lower, the airflow better and the GPUs cooler.

attachment.php?attachmentid=25986&stc=1&d=1469614352

924088931_Thearrowsshowthedirectionoftheairflow.png.14c8d835c8a403853e3bb8db66921643.png

Attach the radiator and the fans as shown. For the best

cooling performance, we recommend mounting the fans

as an air-intake to your PC case.

Once again, that little phrase sends someone in the wrong direction. Back when there was a more consistent presence in this Cooling forum, Corsair was quick to say no -- don't treat that as an inviolate rule. Take it on a case by case basis. It's really just a disclaimer for the single radiator crowd who are likely to put the cooler in the rear exhaust, where it will also be affected by GPU waste heat.

As suggested above, I would certainly set the H115i fans to exhaust heat out the top. Haswell-E chips will put a little heat into the system all the time, particularly when overclocked. It's best to dump that right out the top and it is also the natural flow design for the case. The 780T is no micro-ATX. You are not going to be affected by GPU waste heat unless you have a pair of 980 Ti's at the bottom. Stick to your original plan.

ok......glad to see I am not the only one slightly confused

I will follow the arrows and exhaust

also if I have the rad/fans below the"shroud" I still have plenty of room ( its a big case and thats the reason I got it ) .....may end up putting 2 more fans in the shroud at a later date to get better air flow through the rad.......

no backplate..ok, all the youtube vids I think show older mobos and one is wrong with what he says

thanks for the replies......front door open...just waiting for the courier

2011-3 is about the easiest pump mount ever. Worth every penny not to have to mess with the backplate. I run pretty far out at the end of the voltage line and I have yet to find a reason to double up on fans on a 280mm radiator. It just isn't the limiting factor for HW-E and BW-E, even at low fan speeds. In real use, I never need anything above 1200 rpm and that is hot Summer conditions. About 800 in the Winter. I'd give it some time before springing for another pair, unless you want to change the included fans.

Archived