Corsair Community

Defective H50 Cooler

Darix22

Hi everyone,

First, sorry if my english is not perfect, I usualy speak French so I will try to do my best! :)

So, I recently bought pieces for a new PC to build, once I receive the most important pieces I started to mount it with a friend (I only still need to receive my ssd and windows), so after all the pieces installed I start the pc and everything look fine, but notice that the cpu cooler make small gurgling sound. I turn it off since it was late at night.

The next day, in the morning, I get back to the pc and start it again to watch if all is ok but closely. First thing I notice is the CPU temperature going high, in almost 1-2 minutes it get from 30c to 88-89c, so the first thing I do is to read forums then I try to reinstall the cooler with new thermal paste and still got the problem. I did it a second time but reinstalling also the CPU, still have the problem.

After a lot of reading, I now notice that my H50 cooler is not making sound, also that the pump said to be working at over 6000 RPM (And I think it is not normal), plus I have also read to gently shake the radiator to hear if it make sound and mine does, like earing the water inside moving.

So, i'm just a bit lost and not totaly sure if it'sreally the cooler or maybe something else?

What do you think?

Thanks! :)

The gurgling sound is not necessarily a problem, when it is infrequent. If it does it all the time, it could indicate a pump motor problem or that the unit was not filled up all the way.

The high CPU temperatures are a problem. So it went to 88-89C while at the desktop? Do the temperatures stay elevated? Or do they change constantly up and down?

The pump on a H50 should be in the 1350-1500 RPM range, although not all BIOS or software programs may read it correctly. Still, the 6000 rpm is a little concerning, but since we can't take it apart, we'll have to try and diagnose the issue another way.

Hi c-attack,

Thanks for your answer!

For the temperature it goes up to 88-89 and stay at these two number, going back and forth 88 and 89...sometime it show 90 but rarely. I also notice that after some time (maybe 5 minutes) the cooler head become really hot! And it is in the bios only, since I still don't have receive my ssd and windows usb key.

OK, so it just stays at 88-90C? Return the cooler to the vendor or RMA it through Corsair, which ever is easiest for you. There is some sort of flow problem, most likely pump motor related. If I had to guess, a piece of the motor is no longer mechanically connected and turning something it should, thus the extraordinary pump speed reading and the gurgling that has now stopped. I am afraid it doesn't matter either way. This isn't something you can fix. Sorry.

Archived