Corsair Community

Will running the pump at 100% full time significantly reduce its lifespan?

Black Hole Box

You are supposed to provide 12v to the pump at all times. Cutting the voltage to the H110 motor and trying to run it like a fan is more likely to shorten the lifespan.

Thanks. That's what I was thinking, but the CPU_OPT header that my motherboard manual says is made for water pumps is confusing and doesn't explain whether it's safe to control the pump speed.

Your hardware specifications are not listed, but CPU and OPT sound like Asus. The OPT header mirrors the level of CPU_FAN. If you set CPU to 50%, OPT runs 50%. Custom curve? OPT will do the same. It is really only useful for controlling two CPU cooling fans or connecting one radiator fan to each header, then run the pump 3 pin connector to a CHA_FAN header or a molex lead back to the PSU. I would prefer the CHA header so I could see the pump speed if needed, but that may not be an option.

Did you decide on Z170 or X99? The Z170 does have a Water_Pump header that can be used for the 3 pin pump motor on the H110. For Asus X99, I would recommend the CHA header for the pump and CPU&OPT for the fans, especially if they are PWM.

Your hardware specifications are not listed, but CPU and OPT sound like Asus. The OPT header mirrors the level of CPU_FAN. If you set CPU to 50%, OPT runs 50%. Custom curve? OPT will do the same. It is really only useful for controlling two CPU cooling fans or connecting one radiator fan to each header, then run the pump 3 pin connector to a CHA_FAN header or a molex lead back to the PSU. I would prefer the CHA header so I could see the pump speed if needed, but that may not be an option.

Did you decide on Z170 or X99? The Z170 does have a Water_Pump header that can be used for the 3 pin pump motor on the H110. For Asus X99, I would recommend the CHA header for the pump and CPU&OPT for the fans, especially if they are PWM.

I'll thank you here for your detailed reply in the X99/Z170 thread. I saw it had disappeared and assumed it was deleted, but just now saw it was moved and read your post.

I went with Z170 since 2011 CPU prices skyrocketed right when I was ready to order. I'm using a Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7

OK, not Asus. Disregard the OPT "mirror" information. The Gigabytes use CPU, OPT, and SYS fan headers. The OPT has a different pinout than the CPU header. Most likely you want the H110 on CPU fan and set to 100%, 12v, full speed, or however the BIOS described maximum. The PWM radiator fans can go on OPT. I am afraid beyond that, you need someone with a Gigabyte Z170 for more specific info.

Archived