Corsair Community

anyone using the Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 7? what cooler and setup

_jimlad_

Hey all i just picked up a Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 7 and now need a cooler, i am a little confused as to which is the best corsair cooler for me to get and more importantly how to set it up. as a also have a new corsair psu with link.

if anyone has the same mobo as me and could share there setup that would be great and really helpful.

Hi I have gone for the Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV,

6700k and would plan to get a 4.5 over clock

All items purchased apart from cpu cooler. I don't mind which corsair one I get. As long as off the cuff I can setup without being confused or doing it wrong

Not built a pc for 4 years

You may need to link the product page for the exact Enthoo Evolve you have selected. There are multiple variations and they have different size configurations.

Chances are you will want a 240mm radiator (H100i v2) or 280mm (H110i or H115i). 280mm radiators have larger surface area and you can get equal or better cooling with less fan speed. The catch may be the roof on the Evolve. Generally, that series has the solid cover with side slits to then let air out of the top "dome". Works fine for standard exhaust. With a top mount radiator, I worry it may create a warm spot above the radiator and bump up your water temperature a few extra degrees. Hardly catastrophic, but I might put an eye toward a radiator that could be front or top mounted.

OK, very nice. That is the larger one that can handle 360mm radiators on the top or front. A 280mm should not be an issue. That puts it between the H110i and H115i. Look at the product pages and in this forum. Despite the marketing, it's the same size cooler with the same spec fans. Performance will be the same. The H110i has a bit more flexibility in its firmware, but if you just want to plug into two fans and run, it may not have an impact for you. The H110i has a few more lighting options as well. Visually, you can see the differences and one may appeal more than the other. Both of these coolers are Corsair Link coolers. This means there is a software package to control fans fan speeds and lighting. You do not have to use it and can control the fans from the motherboard, but it is necessary for lighting control. For it to work, you need a SATA connection (power) and a USB 2.0 header on your motherboard for the Link cable. The fans will be powered from the pump block directly.

If this is unappealing or you prefer the older simple 3 pin power and no LEDs, the older H110 (280mm) or H105 (240x38mm) may be more to your liking.

Hey all i just picked up a Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 7 and now need a cooler, i am a little confused as to which is the best corsair cooler for me to get and more importantly how to set it up. as a also have a new corsair psu with link.

if anyone has the same mobo as me and could share there setup that would be great and really helpful.

I have that motherboard paired with a Corsair H115i inside of a Phanteks P-400 case. The radiator is mounted to the front of the case (only option in this case) pulling air through the radiator with the fans pushing air directly to my components.

EDIT: you have the Evolv case (I'm jealous) and you will have no problem with the H115i mounted to the top with the front open for a couple intake fans.

I have that motherboard paired with a Corsair H115i inside of a Phanteks P-400 case. The radiator is mounted to the front of the case (only option in this case) pulling air through the radiator with the fans pushing air directly to my components.

EDIT: you have the Evolv case (I'm jealous) and you will have no problem with the H115i mounted to the top with the front open for a couple intake fans.

OK and as for connecting the pump / fans. Did you go straight to the mobo ?

OK and as for connecting the pump / fans. Did you go straight to the mobo ?

If you're talking about the H115i, then you can hook the fans directly to the fan connectors that come off the H115i itself. This allows you to use Corsair link.

The other option is to hook the two fan wires directly to motherboard fan headers and use your motherboard for PWM. Both accomplish the same thing, but I prefer just to use Corsair link since it also allows you to change the LED color and pump speed.

I am not sure if the H110 works the same way (but I assume it does).

Thanks all this has been really useful for me.

So I have the choice between two coolers and two connection methods.

I presume I will have enough spare headers on my mobo. I will check that later.

If you want to bypass Corsair link, then the H110 might be the best option since it evidently sends pump speed info to the motherboard. This would presumably allow you to control the speed of the pump without Corsair link. What you probably won't be able to do, however, is control the LED without Corsair link (unless there is a third-party program out there, which there probably is. But that itself would defeat the purpose since you would still be installing extra software -- and if you're going to do that it may as well be Corsair link).

the H110 might be the best option since it evidently sends pump speed info to the motherboard. This would presumably allow you to control the speed of the pump without Corsair link.

I suspect you mean H110i rather than H110 as you are talking about the LED.

Assuming this then although the H110i reports the pump speed to a motherboard fan/pump header the only way to control the pump speed is via USB using either CL4 or my SIV utility.

Link can be useful if you have no means of native fan control, a lack of motherboard control headers, or other integrated Corsair equipment, like a Link ready PSU. It allows you to disconnect the fan control from erratic CPU fan parameters present in some BIOS or operating systems.

It can be a nuisance if you have motherboard specific fan control or multiple monitoring programs for other things.

No, I can't get Link to install and work on my PC, so I run my H110i GT using the LED colour and (presumably) pump speed from my previous build and controll the fans with Asus Fan Xpert, which allows me to stop the case fans spinning below 40 degrees and the radiator fans spin at less than 900 rpm most of the time.

Jim, I've got the same case and cpu with a H115i. One problem is that if you are using ram with high heatsinks you won't be able to mount the radiator at the top as they get in the way.

I had to mount mine at the front.

Archived