Corsair Community

New build X99, what Vengeance LPX to choose?

z3n0mal4

Hello,

Need a little help in deciding which memory to choose for my new build.

I'm going for i7 6800K + Asus X99 ROG Strix.

So i was thinking 32GB, quad channel. I think Dominator is too much for me, so i kept looking at Vengeance LPX.

But here i'm a bit confused by the variety of speeds and latency and voltages around.

First question, speed > latency or vice-versa?

For example, for gaming, which would deliver higher performance? 2800MHz CL14 or 3000MHz CL15?

How does voltage come into play here? I don't play on extreme overclocking.

Speed still trumps CAS latency, but the differences are diminishing. When I first got this Dominator 3200C15 kit, 3200 C15, C16, or C17 would have better read/write/copy/latency benchamrks than 2666C12 on the same kit. With the newer Asus Broadwell-E series BIOS (and this is what you'll have with the new Strix), the difference between 3200 (15-17-17-35-T1) and 2666 (C12-13-13-28-T1) is minuscule. There still is a small copy speed advantage with the higher frequency, but the other marks or so inconsequential, it seemed silly not to drop down and save a tenth of memory voltage. This is true for both a 5820k and 5930k. Broadwell-E may still have a larger gap, but it too will shrink in time.

If you need to be able to click the XMP button and be done, never touching your primary timings, you may want to stop at 2666 and get the lowest CAS number available in 32GB. If you don't mind tinkering at least with the primary numbers, get a 3200-3400 kit that fits your budget (with the lowest C-latency available if you really like to tweak your memory). The BW-E chips have a better memory capability than Haswell-E. I don't know that 3400 XMP will work right out of the box, but you can always drop down and 3200 is a reasonable target. Improvements in future updates are likely. I don't give too much value to the 2800-3000 kits. It's an odd spot on spectrum. You need a chunk more voltage than 2666, but get very little in return. You might be able to stretch out a 3000 kit to 3200, but since prices have leveled quite a bit, it would need to be a really good deal to be worth the gamble.

Thanks for your reply.

I guess i'll make up my mind once i actually place the order, in a couple of weeks, depending on the offers i find.

So it's either a good deal on a 3200 kit, or save some money and watch 2666 and below. Nothing in between :)

It's hard to boil it all down to a sentence, but that's about how it is. For gaming, your memory frequency isn't going to matter much and you'll have faster read/write/copy speeds than 95% of the people out there, no matter which you choose. There isn't any price difference between 2133 and 2666. 2666 is very stable and everyone should be able to run it. I don't see a reason to buy under that line. It is the guaranteed plug and play speed. Of course, you can always manually set a 3200/3400 kit to 2666 in about 30 seconds and be in the same place. For that reason and with an eye toward the future, I would probably look to the high frequency kits. The price vs speed hike is around 3600 these days, so you should be able to find reasonable prices in the 3200, 3300, 3333, and 3400 frequencies. Using the Corsair store (US$) as price guide, the upper end 4x8GB Vengeance LPX kits are only $40 different between 3466 and 2666. I'd take the higher end kit and not feel like I need upgrade 12 months later.

An eye toward the future is my main concern :)

I have my X58 platform since 2009, so i'll want this upgrade to be at least this "durable".

The price difference is a bit bigger in Romania, and since i also want to squeeze a H115i cooler, my budget is pretty tight on memory. But i think i can manage a 3200 kit.

Thanks again for your help.

I also made the same jump from X58 to X99. If was tough going at first and the prices were punishing at HW-E launch. Things are in a much better state now.

Your memory frequency will make the least difference toward your general use and gaming than any other component. So, that is the place to take a step back if needed. You can also choose to look at in another way. If the prices on 2666 are much better in your market, you can take that now knowing it costs you nothing in terms of performance. 12-24 months down the line, when every BW-E can run 3600MHz while upside down and underwater, an upgrade may be pleasing and beneficial. Only 2 years on with DDR4. It gets better all the time and relative costs continue to decline.

You may also want to check prices on the H110i cooler. From a performance standpoint, both coolers are identical. There are obvious visual differences and one may be more appealing than the other. However, that is a product line that seems to vary drastically in price from market to market. In some places, the H115i commands a premium price it should not.

Don't let the numbering system fool you. The H115 (formerly H110 GTX) is the same physical size as the H110i. The story of why there are two equivalent coolers in the same price bracket is long, but its recent renaming and accompanying marketing language are the product of a business agreement between two companies. If you like how the h115i looks, that's fine, but it is not alone at the apex as the numbering would suggest. There are some minor differences that may or may not impact your use, but you might want to search the cooling forum to see if they are of consequence.

It is usually physically possible to combine two different kits, but it may require some tuning from you. I might go up or down on frequency with a quad kit before combining two kits of the same make. It also may be used against you if you seek technical help with the board, memory, or CPU.

H115i is only 15 bucks over the H110i, so i'll stick with the larger one.

Both are the same size and cooling wise are much the same, but the CoolIT H110i/H110iGT has two rather than one fan controller, reports the pump rather than a fan speed to the CPU FAN header and has far better firmware. Have a read of http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=795986 and http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=860885.

@c-attack - well i'm currently running 2 triple channel kits on my X58, quite different from one another, i managed to make them work. I guess making the same sticks work together won't be a real challenge :)

Also i have been mistaken, i thought the H110i is the 120mm. But i see that's the case for H100i v2. Old names, new names. Yes, i've been fooled.

@red-ray - thanks for the links, i'll check'em out. So H110i is CoolIT, and i think H115i is Asetek.

I'll get on the cooling forums asap.

Will stick to memory here.

Thanks again for your help guys

Archived