Corsair Community

H100i v2 question ??

data145

Hi , I am going to buy the Hydro H100i v2 cpu liquid cooler and have a question about the orientation of the fan's .. What is the best installation method to have an allways cool cpu and good air flow inside the cace ??

I have to mention that my case is a mid tower Corsair 600T ..

The Corsair Installation manual say " .. For the best

cooling performance, we recommend mounting the fans

as an air-intake to your PC case... " mounting the fans like that won't make the air inside the case hoter ?? I am confused ???

I believe you are limited to top mount only on the 600T. As for intake vs exhaust fan orientation, the overwhelming majority of people will be better off exhausting air out the top. Using 4 fans as intake and only 1 as exhaust puts a lot of pressure on the rear fan to get all the air out of the case. That little tidbit in the manual steers a lot of people the wrong way. In theory you can gain a very small cooling benefit by using slightly cooler exterior air. However, this usually offset by a temperature penalty for dumping warm waste air into the case. The difference is tiny either way and you are better served setting your case up for balanced intake vs exhaust flow.

And one last question ... after installation should I disable fan control on the CPU_FAN header in my motherboard BIOS ??? ( I have ASUS Maximus Hero VII - 1150 socket )
yes definitely disable it. There's the mistake I made, the fans were running at totally random speeds if you don't.

I disable Q-fan control in BIOS only CPU_fan after that the graphic in BIOS show the CPU 100% all time .. all the other fans are still in Q-fan control . In win 10 I left corsair link in balanced mode .. but I did a different installation since I don't have room in my case ( 600t ) .. I put the fans above the top metal of the 600t as intake and the radiator under ... my temps are good .. I don't think that the air flow is the best but works for now .. at least until I buy the 780T ..

OK, just make sure you keep the rear exhaust fan spinning at a high speed when under load, gaming, etc. It has to handle all the exhaust duties. Probably not an issue with CPU only work, but combination GPU/CPU loads might heat up the internals somewhat.

I followed your advice and reinstalled the cooler with the fans as exhaust pushing air through the radiator .. but I have a problem with the sound coming from the fans .. with this configuration the only mode I can stand I the quiet ... so .. because I want balanced mode with the less sound effects I am thinking changing the stock fans .. since you are the manufacturer I want you to recommend another set of fans ... I searched and some people recommend noctua nf f12 ppc industrial fans what do you say ???

So now you are using the fans in exhaust and above the radiator? Either one of two things: 1) The fans are wobbling in the inverted position. This is a common problem with a lot of fans with that type of bearing. The sound usually has a grindy tint to it and this is mechanical noise. 2) Fan blade proximity to the radiator and/or case material. This is different in every case, but it sounds more like air disturbance rather than mechanical noise. This can be tricky to resolve and might be addressed by using spacers to move the fan further from the case or radiator, something not always practical. It is a fan specific and case specific problem.

If it's bothering you, put it back to intake and above. Just keep an eye on your internal hardware temperatures. You are not going to damage anything and it may not be much of a penalty with moderate GPU heat. Hold off on the Industrial PPC 2000 rpm. It is more fan than most people need. It is not the silent version and there is some soft fan noise at low levels. If you primary interest is quiet, smooth sound, there are other choices if needed.

Right I am using the fans in exhaust and under the radiator ( The fans are inside the case .. ) .. for the time being I don't have a dedicated gpu ( I am planning to buy MSI 1070 nvidia .. ) ..

What are the other choices ??

Look at the following fans , what is your opinion ??

1) NOCTUA NF-F12 PWM 120MM FAN

2) NOCTUA NF-P12-PWM FAN 120MM

3) NOISEBLOCKER BLACKSILENT PRO FAN PLPS 120MM PWM

To clear things out .. my primary interest is quiet or let's say acceptable noice levels , smooth sound combined with low temps ..

And another question for cpu temps .. with ambient temp 28 Celsius in quiet mode for my 4790k at 4.4Ghz ( turbo mode ) - idle temps : 38 to 40 Celsius and in stress test 73 - 74 Celsius max these temps are good for

H100i ???

Should I re - apply thermal paste to low temps further ???

Thank's for your time to answer ..

OK, well this is a good example of why you should put all your hardware into the profile so we can see it. Without a discrete GPU, you can turn the fans anyway you want up top. The radiator exhaust if the only real heat in the system and the rear exhaust is certainly capable of handling that. It is the combination of GPU and CPU heat that can cause problems.

You will have to detail your BIOS settings regarding voltage and frequency for someone to judge the temperatures. The max sounds about right for the CPU at 4.4 (stock voltage?). The idle looks a little warm for 28C room temp, but power saving features can have an effect on this (Speedstep, EIST, etc. fixed vs adaptive voltage). A poor job with the TIM will make your CPU temps erratic and spiky. Of course Windows 10 can do the same, so it's a little hard to tell. Usually if you use too much the baseline will never settle and you the temps will appear almost random, rather than scaling up or down.

I assumed quiet was a priority on fans. I'll send a PM with some suggestions.

Archived