Corsair Community

H115i Cooling performance

lebel22

Hi all.

I have returned to PC building after a long away period (Athlon days with a 6800 ultra). I also did a fair bit of research before committing to a specific build based on cost & performance.

I'm quite happy with my set up overall apart from a little niggle when it comes to my (as advertised) extreme cooler - the H115i. Its cooling my stock i7 6700k within safe realms but no better than an 212! So my question is.

At say 20*C room ambient, what sort of average or peak benchmark temps should I expect from this cooler? And is my expectation higher than what's advertised?

PS I have made sure that I have the cooler fitted properly. I have also repasted with MX-4.

my temps at stock/auto recorded on Realtemp:

Cinebench R15 peaks at 71

Prime 95 (v266) peaks at 80

Asus benchmark peaks at 82

cheers

Lee

Sorry. Should of added my specs.

I7 6700k stock. Max voltage at 1.35v on turbo 4.2

Vengeance LPX 16gb (2 × 8) 3000mhz with xmp on

Asus Pro Z170

NZXT 340 case (fans blowing outwards)

Evga 980ti ftw

Rear & top fan extracting

Ps the link reported rad temp never goes over 32*C.

Cheers

Lee

I think in this case your are the victim of the auto/adaptive voltage scaling that happens on some synthetic tests. The newer CPUs, Skylake in particular, are will continue to gobble voltage during these tests to maintain stability above all else. Like always, it overshoots by some margin but on 6600/6700k it can really climb. Some people have reported max draws in their HWMonitor of 1.39v at the stock setting. That's enough to run 4.7 or 4.8GHz for some people. Clearly you have seen the issue with Prime and AVX on the newer chips. I still find 26.6 less than valuable for a total system test, but will use specific runs to isolate certain aspects of the overclock.

I am not using 6700k, so I will leave the debate to others, but 1.35v may be enough for 4.6 or 4.5GHz. Certainly then you will need substantially less at 4.2. Set it to a fixed voltage for synthetic testing and then convert it back to adaptive when your done. If this does not resolve the issue, then we take a look at everything. However, if you have a 20C room ambient, that might mean a case ambient of 24-25C, and a peak water temp of 6C over that is a good number for a max load test. I think the cooler is working fine, you just need to tame the voltage a bit.

Hi all.

I have returned to PC building after a long away period (Athlon days with a 6800 ultra). I also did a fair bit of research before committing to a specific build based on cost & performance.

I'm quite happy with my set up overall apart from a little niggle when it comes to my (as advertised) extreme cooler - the H115i. Its cooling my stock i7 6700k within safe realms but no better than an 212! So my question is.

At say 20*C room ambient, what sort of average or peak benchmark temps should I expect from this cooler? And is my expectation higher than what's advertised?

PS I have made sure that I have the cooler fitted properly. I have also repasted with MX-4.

my temps at stock/auto recorded on Realtemp:

Cinebench R15 peaks at 71

Prime 95 (v266) peaks at 80

Asus benchmark peaks at 82

cheers

Lee

Yes that's too hot for a stock 6700k at 20°C ambient. You should be seeing better performance if my own H115i is any indication. I have a 6600k (same chip without HT) and overclocked to 4.5Ghz I get in the low 60's on Prime95 (26.6). If I run it at stock clocks and voltages it's in the low 50's. And this is with an ambient hotter than yours. I also have a very similar case to yours (Phanteks P-400 which is basically a direct competitor to the S340).

What voltage under load is your CPU running at? CPU-Z or HWinfo64 are good determining this. As c-attack said, it could be because of adaptive voltages which vary from chip to chip and motherboard to motherboard. If you're seeing like 1.25v at max load and you're still getting those temps, then it's probably a defective H115i. If you're seeing something over 1.3v at stock loads, then you might have simply lost the silicone lottery.

All I can say is that my OC'ed 6600k running at 1.26v (steady under load) achieves low 60's in prime95 (v26.6) at about a 25°C ambient. My overclock probably runs somewhere in the neighborhood of a stock 6700k as far as voltages/heat go.

EDIT: If you used the 212 Evo on that same chip/motherboard/case combo and it outperformed the H115i, then something is definitely wrong with the H115i.

Couple of things to try:

As folks have already said, lower the voltage. Voltage increases temperatures a LOT.

Set up your H115i fans as intake and not exhaust. I did and dropped my temperatures a couple of C.

If you are powering your H115i from a molex to SATA power adapter, hook it up to a SATA power connector. I had my H115i connected with a molex adapter at first, and it wasn't fully powered. The pump speed would not go very high, and the fans spun at low speed no matter the setting.

Set your Corsair profile to Performance (max fan and max pump speed) for testing. If temps aren't any better than at the default slow speeds, your CPU isn't making a good contact with the cold plate.

If those suggestions help, but you can't stand the fan noise then I suggest replacing the fans. I run two Noiseblocker eLoop B14-3 fans - even at 100% they are barely louder than the stock fans at their lowest setting (and they cool just as good as the stock fans at 100%). There are also some PWM versions that don't have quite as good airflow/static pressure - the B14-PS.

Thank you all for your time to respond. From your comments I took a look into my voltages. I found a sweet spot for now and can confidently look into overclocking after more researching.

Adaptive mode = On

Additional Turbo Mode CPU Core Voltage = Auto (peaks at 1.22v under load)

My temps;

Cinebench R15 = 50*C peak

Asus Benchmark = 54*C peak

I have heard that prime95 can stress the Sylakes poorly, not too sure if this is true, but decided to omit this benchmark.

Again thank you all for taking your time to respond.

cheers

lee

ps I did another repaste with a rice grain amount of my old Antec formula 5. I also checked the cooler mounts as I was concerned by the 212's similar performance. I couldn't of fitted the h115i properly but couldn't see where I went wrong? I had to wiggle the cooler a bit due to the thickness of my old paste.

cheers

lee

Archived