Corsair Community

Thermal paste question

Bond679

Just purchased and installed an H100I v2 in a system that I am transferring to another case this weekend. I also need to rotate the pump on the cpu to better fit installed memory on the motherboard. If the cooler has been installed only 5 days, will I have to clean off and reapply thermal paste when I rotate the pump, or will the paste still be sufficient? Again the pump will be returned to the cpu on which it was originally installed. Thanks.

Ideally, you would clean it off and apply new. In this case, it's not so much the threat of contamination, but trying to preserve the uniform thin layer of TIM. When you rotate that pump, some of the TIM will be on the cold plate, some on the CPU lid. Twist the pump. Now there will be more TIM in one place than in another after you put it back down. It is that difference in thickness that causes somewhat erratic core temp behavior. If you are hard up and out of TIM, you can try. The worst case scenario is you have jumpy CPU temps and will have to take it off and do it again.

Archived