Corsair Community

Carbide Series® Air 540 - SSD mount problem

kzh

I am not sure I quite understand. It should be a standard 2.5 inch form factor casing on the SSD. Now the SSD rack on the 540 is not a bolt-it-down type of enclosure. You just slide it in and the tab on top should come back down to keep the drive from coming out. It's not a seat belt, but it won't fall out on it's own either. It should be sufficient for normal moving of the case from table to floor and back etc. If you are going to go for a ride, perhaps take more precautions, although SSDs are fairly shock resistant.

Incidentally, start with the SSD slots closest to the door and work in as you acquire more. Somewhere it the mid-line of your PSU is its circuit board and that will transmit heat up and into the drive cage.

I am not sure I quite understand. It should be a standard 2.5 inch form factor casing on the SSD. Now the SSD rack on the 540 is not a bolt-it-down type of enclosure. You just slide it in and the tab on top should come back down to keep the drive from coming out. It's not a seat belt, but it won't fall out on it's own either. It should be sufficient for normal moving of the case from table to floor and back etc. If you are going to go for a ride, perhaps take more precautions, although SSDs are fairly shock resistant.

Incidentally, start with the SSD slots closest to the door and work in as you acquire more. Somewhere it the mid-line of your PSU is its circuit board and that will transmit heat up and into the drive cage.

Thanks for the reply.

Basically it does as your say. I put it in and the tab locks it in place. However, if I push it with my finger, the backside will move quiet a bit, from right to left, etc. I am travelling cross county and will take it out then but you think it'll be alright as it is now? Once I get to my apartment it will not be moving at all.

I had no idea about the heat transfer but I did have it in the slot closest to the door, thanks a lot for that added tip!

You should be fine for day to day stuff. I have 4 SSDs in there and frequently change case position and take it off the shelf for tinkering. No problems and my SATA cable is more likely to detach under stress, rather than the drive coming out. I would disassemble everything for the long trip.

You should be fine for day to day stuff. I have 4 SSDs in there and frequently change case position and take it off the shelf for tinkering. No problems and my SATA cable is more likely to detach under stress, rather than the drive coming out. I would disassemble everything for the long trip.

Great to know, thanks a lot. I plan on taking my RAM, hard drive, SSD, and GPU out. I figure my motherboard and cooler will be alright. I'll be putting it in the cases box with some sort of insulation to help with the road.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the reply.

Basically it does as your say. I put it in and the tab locks it in place. However, if I push it with my finger, the backside will move quiet a bit, from right to left, etc. I am travelling cross county and will take it out then but you think it'll be alright as it is now? Once I get to my apartment it will not be moving at all.

I had no idea about the heat transfer but I did have it in the slot closest to the door, thanks a lot for that added tip!

On my Air 540, it's the same. The back end is loose. I think, if you want, you can screw it in for a tight fit, but I can't remember ATM as I'm not near my rig.

But, for general use, it should be no problem. :) It's in there pretty good, as I've actually had trouble pulling them out properly, haha.

Archived