Corsair Community

H100i V2 and Fans question.

Haru

So I installed my H100i and the fan that came with it were a bit louder than I had hoped so I bought me the SP120 Quiet Edition fans. I noticed that the connectors for them are made for 3 pins but the Y cable that comes on the cooling unit has one with 4 pins and one with 3 with one missing in the middle.

The first fan can connect to all 3 pins but the second fan only connected to the two pins since the 3rd one is has a gap before the final pin. Hope this makes sense..

Anyway, the question I have is, Did i buy the wrong fans? Cause I'm worried about my second fan only have connected to two pins while the other one is connected to the 3 pins like it should be..

Should I take these fans back and buy the High Proformance SP120?

The Quiet Edition designation is fine, the problem is the fans must be 4 pin PWM to be properly controlled by the H100i v2 or any other LINK system cooler. There are several variants and some websites do not do a good job of distinguishing between visually identical models. This is the one you need -- both QE and PE (PWM) models are on this page.

You know you need PWM. Whether you really want the Quiet Edition versus the Performance Edition is another matter. These are the same fans, but with different RPM ranges. The PE has an identical range to the SP120L grey fans you are replacing. I think it has a slightly better sound profile and it certainly looks better, but that may be splitting hairs.

The QE will top out at 1350-1400 against a radiator and it has a lower minimum speed than the SP120L you are replacing. I suspect minimum speed is not the real issue. Both the SP120L and SP120 PE are loud at 2000 rpm. All 120mm fans are loud at 2000 rpm. You shouldn't need that much speed anyway for cooling. You can effectively turn your current SP120L fans into QE models by engaging the quiet mode in Corsair Link. This will cap their speed at the same ~1350 rpm. However, it will still max out on boot/restarts and that is something that will be much milder on the QE.

So, if load fan noise is the issue, you have the ability to curtail that now by engaging the Quiet Mode in LINK. I do think there is some advantage to having the ability to run beyond 1350 rpm. Your CPU isn't listed and I don't know your typical uses, so whether you do or not in unclear. If the loud restarts (power on test) are the issue, the Quiet Edition fan will be much better. If you don't like the sound of your current fans at 1400 rpm now, neither fan is going to be an optimal solution. It is the same blade and frame, but with a different motor. Your alternate choice would still need to be PWM for LINK control.

The Quiet Edition designation is fine, the problem is the fans must be 4 pin PWM to be properly controlled by the H100i v2 or any other LINK system cooler. There are several variants and some websites do not do a good job of distinguishing between visually identical models. This is the one you need -- both QE and PE models are on this page.

You know you need PWM. Whether you really want the Quiet Edition versus the Performance Edition is another matter. These are the same fans, but with different RPM ranges. The PE has an identical range to the SP120L grey fans you are replacing. I think it has a slightly better sound profile and it certainly looks better, but that may be splitting hairs.

The QE will top out at 1350-1400 against a radiator and it has a lower minimum speed than the SP120L you are replacing. I suspect minimum speed is not the real issue. Both the SP120L and SP120 PE are loud at 2000 rpm. All 120mm fans are loud at 2000 rpm. You shouldn't need that much speed anyway for cooling. You can effectively turn your current SP120L fans into QE models by engaging the quiet mode in Corsair Link. This will cap their speed at the same ~1350 rpm. However, it will still max out on boot/restarts and that is something that will be much milder on the QE.

So, if load fan noise is the issue, you have the ability to curtail that now by engaging the Quiet Mode in LINK. I do think there is some advantage to having the ability to run beyond 1350 rpm. Your CPU isn't listed and I don't know your typical uses, so whether you do or not in unclear. If the loud restarts (power on test) are the issue, the Quiet Edition fan will be much better. If you don't like the sound of your current fans at 1400 rpm now, neither fan is going to be an optimal solution. It is the same blade and frame, but with a different motor. Your alternate choice would still need to be PWM for LINK control.

Thank you for the advice!!

Oh, my CPU is a AMD FX-8350 and I dont overclock it ever. Had no need to and i mainly just use my PC for gaming.

Hope that helps!

I think the quick and easy test is to put LINK into Quiet mode now. That will replicate the fan limitation on a QE model. You can then decide if that provides enough cooling (probably) and what specifically you don't like about the SP120L gray fans.

Incidentally, it is normal for a PWM fan splitter to have one 3 pin connector and one 4 pin connector. The fans will be controlled as a pair and it only takes one PWM signal (the 4th pin) to do so. Having multiple PWM signal on the line would cause control issues. The problem you have right now is the H100i is sending PWM signals that never reach the fans.

Archived