Corsair Community

CL4 only recognizes one of my two H115i fans as H115i fans

Vede

Just built a new PC using an H115i, and although CL4 sees both of its fans, it only recognizes one of them as a proper H115i fan. It sees the other as a regular system fan. That's problematic because, although both fans are spinning, I can only control the speed of the fan that's recognized properly. According to CL, the other fan just spins at a static rate, forever hovering right around 960 rpm. Here's what I'm seeing:

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r246/vederman/CL4_1_zpso5hvd9wz.jpg

You can ignore Fan #2 - those are my three case fans, all going through a small Phanteks hub plugged into my motherboard's secondary CPU_Fan header. As far as I can tell, Fan #1 is the second H115i fan. I don't think there's anything else it could be.

Is this a known issue with the software? Or perhaps user error on my part?

1. Like all Asetek coolers the H115i only has one fan controller which controls the speed of both fans.
  2. As a result it is only capable of reporting one fan speed.
  3. The same fan speed is reported via the header and the H115i.
  4. If you look at the Y splitter you should see pin 3 is not connected for one of the fans. This is the fan speed signal.

1. Like all Asetek coolers the H115i only has one fan controller which controls the speed of both fans.
  2. As a result it is only capable of reporting one fan speed.
  3. The same fan speed is reported via the header and the H115i.
  4. If you look at the Y splitter you should see pin 3 is not connected for one of the fans. This is the fan speed signal.

Thank you! So why do the header and H115i report different speeds?

Upon further testing:

- "Quiet" shows the fans running at roughly ~960 rpm on both

- "Balanced" shows the fans running at ~1400 rpm on the H115i, but only ~960 rpm on the sensor

- "Performance" shows the fans running at ~1600 rpm on the H115i, but only ~1400 on the sensor

1. The motherboard speed sensor and H115i speed sensor could be sampling at different times and within the specified accuracy of the sensors they are the same for "Quiet".
  2. As to why CL4 reports very different speeds I don't know, but wonder if CL4 is failing to update the motherboard fan speeds in a timely manor. It seems strange that the first two report the same value ~960, but the third ~1400. This does not make sense.
  3. Are you running any other software that reports the motherboard fan speeds and if so what?
  4. It would be instructive to see what other programs report and were you to report what my SIV utility reports I could comment further. Look at the Menu->Hardware->Cooling Status panel. Ideally attach screen shots so I can see the sample counts.

Archived