Corsair Community

Newbie needing help on what cooler to get

joms

Hi,

I am building 2 systems (1x for my house and 1x for my work). I need to know which liquid cooler to get. I am very new to liquid cooling so I don't really know how to go about this. There are so many options (H100, H100i, H100i GT, H100 GTX, H105, H110i, H110 GT... etc etc). I sure wish that the corsair website could give us a simplified explanation of the differences specially if you are a newbie.

Anyway, I always use air cooling but since I am building a system having aesthetics as 1 of my priorities, I then decided to go water cooling (as it looks better and the logo lights up).

Anyway here are my systems:

System 1 (Home)

i7-6700k

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha

16GB Avexir Core Ram

Phanteks Evolv Tempered Glass version

Corsair AX860 power supply

Samsung 850 EVO SSD

Western Digital 3TB HD

System 2 (Work)

i7-6800K

Asus X99 Deluxe U3.1

32GB Gskill Ripjaws 4 RAM

Phanteks Evolv Tempered Glass version

Corsair AX860 power supply

Samsung 850 PRO SSD

Samsung 950 PRO M.2 SSD

Western Digital Black 4TB HD

Western Digital RE 6TB HD

Questions:

1) What would be the best water cooling version for me that would fit my case/mboard/etc given that I would only overclock my cpu slightly? (around 3.8 - 4.0Ghz) and it wouldn't sound too noisy. (I am not after making my system super quiet but I just don't like it to be very loud. Somewhere in between would be nice)

2) I am concerned that on my System 2(work), the water cooling might hit the Samsung 950 PRO M.2 SSD. (Note: At first I opted to use noctue NH-15D but it wasn't compatible as per their website as it says it would hit the M.2 SSD). Would the Corsair water cooling hit it too?

3) Does all the Corsair Logo in its liquid cooling light up with different colors? or are there certain models that only offer this? (I would really like the logo to light up)

Thanks

1. Looking at http://www.phanteks.com/Enthoo-Evolv-ATX-TemperedGlass.html then a 280mm cooler will fit and in general will make less noise than a 240mm cooler for the same amount of cooling, so get a 280mm cooler.
  2. Looking at the motherboard location below I expect you would be fine. You could start by getting one H110i and check, but I would not bother.
  3. Yes, but the H110i has more control options than the H115i so I would get the H110i. The H110i can have cycling patterns and gradual colour changes based on a temperature, the H115i can't.

attachment.php?attachmentid=25761&stc=1&d=1467101636

M.2(SOCKET3).thumb.png.191b0079f0bd1cfca7b821331bbb762e.png

Thanks. So the H110i is the best? How about the H110i GT and GTX? What are the differences? I'd like to get the quieter one.

Also, if you can check this diagram (look at #6), This is the location of the Samsung 950 PRO M.2 and it goes straight up.

pic_disp.php?height=1000&width=2000&id=36790

Thanks again

So the H110i is the best? How about the H110i GT and GTX? What are the differences? I'd like to get the quieter one.

1. I just looked at the manual and updated my original post.
  2. The CoolIT H110iGT is the old version of the H110i.
  3. The Asetek H110iGTX is the old version of the H115i.
  4. Cooling and noise wise all of these coolers are much the same.
  5. The Asetek controller is significantly weaker than the CoolIT one, see http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=795986.
  6. I have a H110iGT and would get the H110i were I buying it today.

I don't see any possible M.2 drive conflict. My preference would be to put the 280mm radiator in the top of the case exhausting air out. Even if you did front mount it, the edge of the motherboard will be a long way from the front of the case and the radiator fan sandwich. The hoses need not go through that space. You also have the option to use your sled adapter and put the M.2 drive in the PCI-E slots below, although your GPU configuration isn't listed. Either way, this should not be a problem.

Thanks.

I've been reading and my concern now is leaking. What are the chances that the pump would leak and destroy my CPU/Mboard/RAM/Vcard? Does it always happen? I really want to try water cooling but ive been reading in other forum sites about their experiences on leaking.

If it does leak, is it 100% sure that all computer components will die instantly? Is there no auto shutdown in such a case?

Does corsair H110i really leak as much or are they only exaggerating?

I don't know what you have been reading, but if leaks were even remotely common, who would use this stuff? One of the advantages of closed loop coolers is there are no fill valves, disconnects, removable tubes, or anything else that is likely to easily "drip", like in a custom water cooling system. With those systems, you are on your own. Corsair does handle damage on a case by case basis to prevent fraud, but if you are looking for a blanket guarantee, you won't find one from any manufacturer. Most "leaks" are really a tiny bit of moisture clinging around one of the tube insertions points. Hard to make these things without seams. I don't know what you were reading, but I have some doubts over the credibility. Personally, I think the average user is more likely to damage something in their system trying to bolt on a 3kg air tower to their board. Sure water is the universal solvent, but gravity is a real ^$%#.

1. H110 has more control options than the H115i so I would get the H110i. The H110i can have cycling patterns and gradual colour changes based on a temperature, the H115i can't.

Why do you say that? I own the H115i and can change the color of the LED (RGB slider) and can make the light change color based on temperature.

I do agree that the OP should go with a 280mm cooler. That leaves either the H115i or the H110i. OP look at them and see which one you find the most aesthetically pleasing.

Why do you say that? I own the H115i and can change the color of the LED (RGB slider) and can make the light change color based on temperature.

Obviously because I expect this is the situation. Why do you think the H115i can do everything the H110i + H110iGT can?

Again the H110i can have cycling LED patterns and AFAIK the H115i can't and you have totally failed to comment on this. What modes does does the H115i offer?

The H110i + H110iGT also have two fan controllers and the H115i only has one so only reports one fan speed.

I know the H110i can have gradual colour changes with two temperature points and I don't think the H115i can, but as I don't have one and Corsair do not specify this then I can't be sure. How does the H115i CL4 configuration panel compare to the following H100iGT one?

attachment.php?attachmentid=24468&d=1456493756

Again the H110i can have cycling LED patterns and AFAIK the H115i can't and you have totally failed to comment on this. What modes does does the H115i offer?

I can confirm that the H115i can't change Lighting modes. The only option is up to two solid colors based on temperature. A static color that changes when the pump temp reaches the set degree.

The H110i + H110iGT also have two fan controllers and the H115i only has one so only reports one fan speed.

Can confirm this as-well.

http://i.imgur.com/A2j3Hww.png?1

HOWEVER! I will say that the upgraded fans included with the H115i are amazing. They are extremely quiet at low RPM and if you don't mind the noise, they can push a typhoon of air through the radiator. Amazing fan design, especially since the blades of the fan are extremely deceptive regarding it's ability in static pressure amid common blade designs needing wide almost overlapping blades.

I can confirm that the H115i can't change Lighting modes. The only option is up to two solid colors based on temperature. A static color that changes when the pump temp reaches the set degree.

Thank you for confirming my suspicions.

Looking at the LED configuration panel then the group is the H115i cooler and I suspect this can't be changed. Is this the case please?

Needless to say with the H110i/H110iGT any temperature group can be used.

I feel only having one fan controller makes the hardware OK rather than good.

Thank you for confirming my suspicions.

Looking at the LED configuration panel then the group is the H115i cooler and I suspect this can't be changed. Is this the case please?

No problem, and yes you are correct. The LED is tied to the H115i pump/coolant temp and can't be changed.

Needless to say with the H110i/H110iGT any temperature group can be used.

Yea, having the other effects and options is definitely a pretty nice feature. Thankfully I only want a solid color with no effect so thankfully this works out for me :)

I feel only having one fan controller makes the hardware OK rather than good.

When I had my original H100i I loved how it came with the ability to power and control four fans. However since most of them now only allow for two to be connected/controlled natively I don't see much point in being able to control multiple fan channels independently. Unless however you use splitters on each of the two fan headers that can control a set of two fans independently. I actually find it kinda convenient to only have to adjust one RPM for both fans, however I don't like that I can't see the RPM's they are running at independently to ensure they are operating properly. There are some drawbacks with the features of the h115i, however I can attest to it's performance.

-I replaced my old H100i with an H80i GT due to a change inside my chassis and running the CPU at 4.8Ghz on 1.3v playing BF4 would easily get my temps to 80-85C which of course I wasn't fond of doing ;) however with the H115i BF4 never runs my CPU hotter then 60-62C running the fans on balanced and the pump on performance. When running my CPU at 5.0Ghz on 1.35v the H80i couldn't handle it at all. A non-synthetic benchmark could get it up to 90C in seconds at which point I no longer ran it at that frequency till I decided to replace it. Now however the H115i so far hasn't caused it to go above 80C at that frequency and voltage, still a bit too high for my tastes, but it's workable. Needless to say I stay at 4.8Ghz for the longevity of my CPU but it was definitely an upgrade. I can't attest to it's longevity, but if it's works as well as my old H100i or H80i then I'll be a happy camper, no pun intended :)

1. When I had my original H100i I loved how it came with the ability to power and control four fans.
  2. However since most of them now only allow for two to be connected/controlled natively I don't see much point in being able to control multiple fan channels independently. Unless however you use splitters on each of the two fan headers that can control a set of two fans independently.
  3. I actually find it kinda convenient to only have to adjust one RPM for both fans, however
  4. I don't like that I can't see the RPM's they are running at independently to ensure they are operating properly.
  5. There are some drawbacks with the features of the h115i, however I can attest to it's performance.

You really should use a list.

1. Yes, and so did the H80i.
  2. I feel having < 4 is a step backwards.
  3. CL4 makes doing this a PITA and it should have fan custom curve clone facility.
  4. Not being able to do this is dumb. Fan 1 should be reported via the cooler and Fan 2 via the CPU Fan header. You could connect a wire from the unused pin-3 to say CPU_OPT and do this.
  5. You are not comparing like with like. You need to compare the H115i with the H110i. Cooling wise these are much the same.

You really should use a list.

1. Yes, and so did the H80i.
  2. I feel having < 4 is a step backwards.
  3. CL4 makes doing this a PITA and it should have fan custom curve clone facility.
  4. Not being able to do this is dumb. Fan 1 should be reported via the cooler and Fan 2 via the CPU Fan header. You could connect a wire from the unused pin-3 to say CPU_OPT and do this.
  5. You are not comparing like with like. You need to compare the H115i with the H110i. Cooling wise these are much the same.

lol yea, I normally would make a list to make things easy. However I was awake later than I should of been and just typed a paragraph instead of structuring the information. Was much easier to ramble...

1. Wow, really? I didn't know the H80i supported 4x fans; almost seems redundant unless your motherboard was severly lacking in fan headers lol such as an ITX board. Actually that sounds like quite the useful feature...

2. I hear ya, it's just my individual needs at this moment doesn't call for the ability to control the CLC fans independently.

3. PITA is putting it politely X3 You may bring that up with Corsair, they may just decide to implement such a feature in a later build.

4. I will do this if I ever need to check/compare the RPM's in the future, having suspect that there's an issue. It's a good point.

5. Sorry, in my tired babbling I was comparing the h115i to the H80i GT as it was the direct successor in my rig and was used on the same CPU. When using my H100i it was on a 3770K. Not exactly a fair comparison per se between the H80I GT vs the H115i but for anyone interested in such a comparison, such as those thinking of upgrading in the same manner, the information may still prove useful.

Archived