Corsair Community

H115i fan speed boot failure

RS3

When booting my system after it has been off overnight the 115i fans immediately go to max(?) speed and I get a boot failure. This is only corrected after I attempt repeated restarts. I am not using the link software. I do not have this problem unless the system is cold, when warm a restart is no problem. I have no hiccups once the system is running.

The fans always go to max speed for a few seconds when booting from cold, this is normal. The boot failure sounds like your Bios thinks that you don't have a cpu fan running, do you have anything connected to the cpu_fan header on your motherboard?

I only have the H115i plugged into the CPU fan header. The problem is that the fans DO NOT go back to normal speed after start up. They now stay at max until I shut the system down. Fan monitor does not show CPU fan any longer with the H115i but does if I plug another fan into the CPU fan header. Several days ago, I could do several restarts and it would finally settle down and the fans would run at proper speed. No longer, it appears to have completely failed.

Hello RS3,

You go through http://superuser.com/questions/737803/are-there-any-negatives-for-having-fan-speeds-at-maximum and it will let you know that what affects can be seen due to the max. speed of fans.

To avoid such issue, you can check your BIOS settings (by just pressing a delete key when you boot your computer) as many motherboards now-a-days have in-built fan control in the BIOS settings. Just open the BIOS settings and search for the fan settings in it.

Else, you can purchase an external fan cooler. It will not monitor the temperature but will give you the complete control over every fan in your machine.

In the interim, you may wish to move the radiator fans off the pump block and onto CPU_FAN. Since you don't appear to be using the Link software or the USB connection, there is no reason to let the H115 control them unchecked. Move the 3 pin lead from the pump to another header. Something has to be on the CPU_FAN (the radiators fans), but otherwise the pump lead is non-essential. I would still start a support ticket and see what they say.

Archived