Corsair Community

H110i GT

gmaister22

Hello guys, i just upgraded my computer yesterday, so i wanted to try overclocking it a bit, i've got a 6700k, a Gigabyte Z170A Gaming 7 motherboard and a H110i GT cooler.

OC set to: 4,6GHz at 1.4v

I have managed so far to test it for 6 hours only on a tough x264 stress test, it was running fine but, my only issue here is that...is it running a bit hot? max temp was 80C (!)

The liquid temp of the cooler was around 35C

http://i.imgur.com/02SN5aI.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/TFW4vZW.jpg

6 hour encoding run @1.40V? 80C sounds about right and it is very doubtful you have a cooler issue. However, there are a few areas where more detail may be telling.

35C water temperature over a 6 hour stress period is good. If there were a limitation in the cooler or even your system heat management as whole, it would be revealed here. Yet, the water temp is meaningless without a room temperature (or case ambient temperature) to compare. 35C in a chilly 15C room is a little less impressive. 35C in a 26C room would be outstanding. There is no exact delta over room temperature you should reach. It will be a little different in each system since case, radiator location, CPU, GPU, and other hardware play a part.

The problem with min/max recording is your CPU could have been rock steady at 65C for 6 hours, with one little blip to 80C on one core for a flash in time. This is substantially different than averaging 80C for the duration. If whatever was used for monitoring has an average column, that may put the peak value in context. Also in this same vein are the individual characteristic of your 4 cores. Many people have one core that runs measurably warmer than the others. Usually this is due to the construction, put it is something to keep in mind. Sometimes you can use the CPU package temp as general line for overall CPU heat, although it tend to somewhat model specific.

I realised that my 6600K overclocked to 4.4 Ghz was runing at 1.42V, the recommendation was 1.35V (for a 6700K) so I reset the voltage to 1.35 and the temp, in normal use fell by 6 degrees. It now idles at 6 degrees above ambient (29) and barely reaches 50 when gaming.

The water temp that low doesn't seem right though. Seems like you have a bad contact of the CPU to block. Reseat the cooler and reapply paste, do it out of the case since if you try to mount it with the tubes bent it might not go on perfectly flat (I had this problem and the fix was to mount it, then install it in the case).

After an extended stress load my CPU (i7-6800k @ 4.0Ghz, 1.2v) will reach ~60C but the water temp (H110i GTX) will get up to 45C. 30-35C is what my liquid temps are at regular load (with CPU at ~40C).

Water temperature is extremely environmentally dependent. We can't make definitive statements about what the water temperature should be without more information. There is no reason to start taking the block apart yet and there are still key details missing. Your 135W TDP CPU is always going to dump a lot more heat into the stream than his 95W TDP --- overclock settings aside.

Archived