Corsair Community

h80iv2 need to disable cpu fan control?

noobiez

Hi guys..

I see some thread asking about H80i v2 fan is now showing data in corsair link 4..

and the solution is to disable the cpu fan control in bios..

after i disabled, the fan runs constantly at a higher speed than before.. (the cpu was already cool before, now even cooler)..

is it necessary for the cooler to run in such setting?

what if I dun disable the cpu fan control?

Yes you should disable fan control in the BIOS so that the H80iV2 get's the constant +12 volts that it needs to operate as designed.

You need to tell us the actual fan speeds and how you have the fans configured in CL4 (Corsair Link 4). Depending on how you have configured the H80iV2 the H80iV2 or CPU temperature would also help.

It would also be easier to help you if you added you PC specs top your profile.

Yes you should disable fan control in the BIOS so that the H80iV2 get's the constant +12 volts that it needs to operate as designed.

You need to tell us the actual fan speeds and how you have the fans configured in CL4 (Corsair Link 4). Depending on how you have configured the H80iV2 the H80iV2 or CPU temperature would also help.

It would also be easier to help you if you added you PC specs top your profile.

This is my first time installing a cooler as I just built a new pc..

I tried disabling the fan control in bios, then the fan is running constantly around and above 1000rpm..

Have not set anything in CL4.. possible if you could give me some insight on how should I set it? thanks!

my specs as below:

cpu: i7-6700k

mobo: asus z170 pro gaming

ram: 2x 8gb corsair vengeance 3200mhz

ssd: samsung evo 850 250gb

hdd: wd blue 3tb

gpu: gtx 1070 (have not buy this to install)

psu: corsair rm750x

• 1 year later...

Sorry to resurrect, but how to do this with the gigabyte x79-ud3?

I've found a "CPU fan speed control" option, and the selections are normal, silent, manual and full speed". I presume disabling it would be Full Speed here, just for the CPU fan ya? Then managing it in Corsair Link.

Also do I then need Corsair Link running constantly to enable it's control? Or just start / exit it once after u boot windows.

Full speed would work.

From there, make sure that the fans are connected to the pump fan headers.

Then, yes, you can control in Link. If you don't want to run Link, set you settings, then go to Options ... Devices and click "Use current settings as default". That will write your current settings to the cooler.

I see. And yeah both pump fans are connected to the Y splitter, and then that is connected to the CPU_FAN header on my mobo.

I'll give full-speed a try then, and then manage it in Link.

So if I'm understanding right, if I write the defaults it will STAY in quiet mode, even if I'm running a game. However if I have Link open & running in the background (shame can't minimize to system tray) then it will adjust speeds according to stress / heat? (Since Link is managing the fans rather than the mobo). Or am I missing something.

I did see it was recommended to disable the mobo management of the CPU fan and let link do it, which is why I found this topic.

What do you mean, it can't minimize to system tray? Yeah, it starts maximized but you should have an "X" on the upper right; that minimizes to system tray.

And, with the cooler, as I understand it, Link writes the fan curve/settings to the device and the device actually controls the fan speed. Always. When you start Link, it'll write the last settings to the device. Without starting Link, the device will use the defaults. So, as long as you write the defaults, that's the fan curve that will be used, whether Link is running or not ... unless you change it in Link (or another tool).

As for the motherboard CPU fan control, the pump cannot be controlled from the motherboard controls, period. It doesn't have a PWM wire and DC control will simply cause a ton of problems. Disabling mobo management of the CPU fan header (or whatever fan header the pump is plugged in to) is the most reliable way to ensure that the pump gets the constant 12v that it needs to operate properly.

Whoops. Yes you're right, closing the main window does keep it running in the system tray. From what I've read, the ability to have it start up that way will be in the next patch I think?

And yup that's what I saw about the 12v max. Next time I start-up I'll set the CPU Fan Control to "Full Speed" in the BIOS then, which should leave my default-set Link software to manage it. Cheers for the understanding!