Corsair Community

new ASUS motherboards and CMD32GX4M2C3200C16 - compatibility issue

s5drew

I can't get my new ASUS ROG strix x99 to work with your new flagship memory :(. Do you guys think its a CPU issue??? I have an i7-5960x. Actually I dont see this memory compatibility list in ANY of the new ASUS motherboards...I do the memory OK! function..still doesn't detect. HELP!! ASus basically told me to buy QVL approved memory :(. I told them to pass it on to the engineers.

:( How can corsair's new dominator 2 x 16gb 3200mhz memory not work with any of the new ASUS signature boards (Deluxe II, X99 rog strix, rampage V 10 edition)???

Boggles my mind.

ASUS sent me an email that said "CHeck their QVL list" if its not on there its not supported. Well, actually if you look at all the new ASUS motherboards there is NO 16gb stick supported by corsair...please someone help...???

Not on the QVL doesn't mean it won't work. It means it hasn't been tested. As mentioned, since the X99 boards are quad-channel boards, no one is going to test a dual channel kit. If the option is available to return it, you certainly can do so and pick up one the many 4x8GB kits that will run on that board. If you wish to proceed with what you have, try booting up with one stick in the B1 slot (or whichever slot Asus says is the prime slot in the manual). This might allow you to get to the BIOS and then eventually post. I am a little surprised you can't make it that far dual channel or not. Those X99's can be very finicky with memory seating. It is possible neither stick is recognized for this reason.

Do you get a Q-code when it fails to start up?

my qcode is 61

Not on the QVL doesn't mean it won't work. It means it hasn't been tested. As mentioned, since the X99 boards are quad-channel boards, no one is going to test a dual channel kit. If the option is available to return it, you certainly can do so and pick up one the many 4x8GB kits that will run on that board. If you wish to proceed with what you have, try booting up with one stick in the B1 slot (or whichever slot Asus says is the prime slot in the manual). This might allow you to get to the BIOS and then eventually post. I am a little surprised you can't make it that far dual channel or not. Those X99's can be very finicky with memory seating. It is possible neither stick is recognized for this reason.

Do you get a Q-code when it fails to start up?

Unfortunately, the Q-codes tell you what process what being performed when it got stuck and not the actual cause of the problem. If you do a quick search of Q-code 61, you will see a wide variety of theories and potential culprits. There is no one clear answer. How did you get on to the memory as the problem? Was that Asus' doing?

Were you able to successfully flash to BIOS 601 using the USB and flashback button on the rear I/O panel? One thing about these new Broadwell-E compatible BIOS versions is they are very easy to screw up on the load. I have spent some time going back and forth between the newer BW-E versions and the prior HW-E version and it has failed 2 of the four times. Others have also reported difficulty. This is the easiest place to start.

• Corsair Employees

Hi s5drew,

As c-attack has mentioned your kit is a dual channel kit. This set in particular was intended for a skylake motherboard. For x99 we recommend a 4-up kit rather than a 2-up kit. X99 also requires specific DIMM slots to be filled when running in dual channel memory.

Here is a recommended kit for X99 most similar in performance to the kit you purchased: CMD32GX4M4C3000C15

Hope this helps!

so theres a possibility that if I buy another pair (quad channel - 64gb) that this may work??

Hi s5drew,

As c-attack has mentioned your kit is a dual channel kit. This set in particular was intended for a skylake motherboard. For x99 we recommend a 4-up kit rather than a 2-up kit. X99 also requires specific DIMM slots to be filled when running in dual channel memory.

Here is a recommended kit for X99 most similar in performance to the kit you purchased: CMD32GX4M4C3000C15

Hope this helps!

• Corsair Employees
You should specify the URL. As far as I can tell the CMD32GX4M4C3000C15 is not the same speed and it's 8GB not 16GB. Try again.

Looking at http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159351 we have been asking for updated motherboard memory compatibility lists since at least 01-Jun-2016.

Please can you explain why this has not happened after over three weeks when this information is available from other memory suppliers?

It's not the same density but it IS the same total capacity. Alan also suggested a kit that was actually designed to hit high speeds on X99, as opposed to a 2-up Skylake kit that likely will overstress Haswell-E/Broadwell-E's DDR4 controller and not POST.

He was entirely correct.

Sometimes I think we could hire an entire team devoted solely to placating you and you'd still find some way to nitpick us to death.

Sometimes I think we could hire an entire team devoted solely to placating you and you'd still find some way to nitpick us to death.

I feel asking for updated motherboard memory compatibility lists is a reasonable request and I am at a loss as to why you feel I wish to "nitpick us to death".

What I do feel is unreasonable is that after 18 months http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134621 has not been addressed.

I believe it requires a firmware update to be corrected. It should be in the next Corsair Link drop, or the one after.

How many CL drops have there been since 03-Feb-2105? At least 6 and the issue has not been fixed.

• Corsair Employees

Have you ever wondered if it might be more productive trying to help us instead of complaining over and over again, bringing up the same things without stopping to think for a second about why something may not get resolved or done, and basically shouting at the ocean?

This place isn't staffed with morons. The issues you kvetch about aren't being ignored just to spite you. We have limited resources and have to choose what needs to be fixed and what we have to let slide.

New DRAM kits are released so rapidly (due to DRAM being a commodity market) it would be impossible for us to stay competitive while validating them on EVERY. SINGLE. PLATFORM. That's why standards exist in the first place; so we don't have to test every single combination of components on the market.

• Corsair Employees

Deleted the thread you're linking to. I've been over this with you a thousand times. There's material we legally cannot share with you. Every time we give you an inch you ask for a mile. And NONE of your haranguing on the forums has abated, OR the tickets you file with tech support DESPITE repeated warnings not to.

The OP has received the necessary suggestions and answers. Thread closed.

Archived