Corsair Community

Cooling problems

traumahawk

I bought a used system about 2yrs ago that came with a Corsair CPU cooler installed. It worked great for a while. In the last 2 months I have been having massive FPS issues when gaming, and traced it to the fact that my CPU is now hitting 100C and crashing things. Ive cleaned off and replaced the thermal paste. Three times. The Corsair link program (JUST downloaded) doesn't show that i have any cooling device connected (is it supposed to display that stuff?). The only thing I can think is that there is missing wires, BUT, like I said, it worked fine for the first two years I had the system. IS it missing wires? And if yes, where can I buy them??? The mods on the Corsair FB responded to a pm I sent them asking about it and directed me here, so I'm hoping someone can help.

edit: I only used like a pea sized amount of paste every time I have reapplied it, spread out the paste, and applied pressure to make sure to get a good seal. At 20% load (according to the Corsair Link app) I am at 95.0C. I've gone into my bios and forced all fans to 100%, except my gpu (which is only running at 37C, and has had no problems). The Intel diagnostics tool fails when it pushes the CPU load, due to temperature. I need to figure out what is going on and fix this ASAP.

I DONT care about noise- so if my fans are going to run loud, I do not care. I just want it to work.

EDIT2: attached screenshot with Corsair Link desktop.

13492857_10153726416492076_823671940_n.jpg.1fdd02ba987c735136cf46a86cbe55ee.jpg

Untitled.thumb.png.3e1ba3a762214769c22baf8b112be67c.png

Indeed I have. Took it all out tonight, for a second time to make sure when I blew out the dust the first time that I got it all. It's like the coolant isn't even getting TO the radiator. One line is hot, the header is HOT, the other line and the radiator stay as cold as the air conditioned room.

Most of the things that spring to mind, are installation based, but as it worked fine for a length of time, that seems unlikely. The pump seems to be spinning at 2000+ rpm, so that seems ok. The only 3 things that I can come up with are

1) A blockage, stopping the flow.

2) Something boosting the voltage of your cpu

3) This is a bit of a stretch, but I'm sure that I read some time ago about the impellor in the pump becoming detached from the shaft, so the shaft was spinning and the speed was reported in Link but the pump wasn't working.

You could try contacting Corsair via the Support Ticket System, they may be able to advise, but as the system is second hand I don't know if an RMA is possible.

That is the single hottest water temperature reading I have ever seen. Part of me even wonders if this is possible. If you touch the radiator, hoses, or any other part of the cooler in that state, it should be scalding hot and you would probably involuntarily pull your hand away. I was about to comment on the rather small CPU core to water temp delta, but it is near certain the core temp display maxes out at 100.0C.

First, you need to stop using the PC in whatever way brings you to this temperature. If this is the natural idle state without load, don't use it at all. As mentioned above, you have some sort of flow problem, the cause of which is likely to remain unknown and it isn't something you can fix. There is no combination of fan speeds, dust, or anything else that can be responsible for that kind of water temperature. Regardless, if the temperatures are correct, you should never use this unit again anyway. Too many things can happen to adhesives or other materials in a boiling pot of water.

If you have your original purchase invoice for the system and it lists the H100i, you can probably RMA the cooler through Corsair. You will need to create an account. Be aware there may not be many H100i (square block) left around, and it is possible they would have to replace it with the current H100i v2 instead. If not, you need to seek an immediate replacement.

Archived