Corsair Community

RAM RMA Query

Hi - would appreciate someone clearing this up for me:

I'm in Australia, and purchased a 32gb (4x8gb) kit of Vengeance LPX 2666 in Feb this year - I have receipts.

The gear was purchased from a physical store here locally - CPL West Melbourne.

After encountering a number of serious pc problems this week, a systematic trouble-shoot showed a single stick as being the sole culprit.

Taking the stick, packaging, and receipt to the store, I requested an RMA. I was informed that Corsair policy was that ALL sticks had to be sent back for RMA, and that we could not proceed with just one.

Now, though I realise that this is a matched kit with consecutive serials, I am not able to let go of all the RAM for the weeks it will take, since it is my only RAM. I said this to the store, and also told them I understood that I would get an unmatched stick in return.

They refused to do the warranty, and that Corsair would not allow it.

I am not able to find a local phone contact for Corsair, but I need to get this cleared up before I go to the next step, which will be the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission. My position is that I am already put out by having a faulty product, and that making it worse by demanding the entire kit is unreasonable.

Thanks in advance

• Administrators

The only Corsair number is in the USA - 1-888-222-4346.

Yes, we'd need all of the modules back. Otherwise you'd have sticks that aren't tested together and the possibility of an unstable system (if it boots at all). No one wants that, and this is why memory is tested together at the factory - to ensure stability and compatibility between the modules.

I'd suggest creating a support ticket on our system and after it's approved call in for an express RMA. That way the replacement memory is sent to you first and you wouldn't have any downtime.

The only Corsair number is in the USA - 1-888-222-4346.

Yes, we'd need all of the modules back. Otherwise you'd have sticks that aren't tested together and the possibility of an unstable system (if it boots at all). No one wants that, and this is why memory is tested together at the factory - to ensure stability and compatibility between the modules.

I'd suggest creating a support ticket on our system and after it's approved call in for an express RMA. That way the replacement memory is sent to you first and you wouldn't have any downtime.

Thanks for the quick response :)

A couple of points:

- Other companies - your competitors, for example, do not have the same conditions regarding returning all sticks.

- I have, as would have many others, used un-matched sticks in systems perfectly well.

- The line 'the possibility of an unstable system (if it boots at all).' seems to me to be a bit disingenuous - almost condescending, though I'm sure that isn't how it was intended. I have built systems since the late 80's and I know that sticks do not have to be 'matched' to work together, but need to be literally, 'similar'.

So to summarise - are you saying that the only way your company will accept the return and replacement of a faulty RAM module, is to have it returned with the entire set, rendering the machine the rest are used in inoperable - unless more RAM is purchased to replace them in the meantime.

Is this correct?

Would Corsair accept half the kit (ie, 16gb, or, 2 sticks)?

• Administrators

I'm not sure why you think that statement seems disingenuous. I don't know what knowledge you or others reading this have and this means I have to keep it simple and to the facts. It's possible that it would be unstable and may not boot. It's also possible that it would work perfectly fine.

Yes, we'd need all of the modules in the kit. As for "rendering the machine the rest are used in inoperable" - please re-read the last two sentences in my previous post. There is a way to RMA the full kit and have no downtime.

I'm not sure why you think that statement seems disingenuous. I don't know what knowledge you or others reading this have and this means I have to keep it simple and to the facts. It's possible that it would be unstable and may not boot. It's also possible that it would work perfectly fine.

Yes, we'd need all of the modules in the kit. As for "rendering the machine the rest are used in inoperable" - please re-read the last two sentences in my previous post. There is a way to RMA the full kit and have no downtime.

I was too busy being upset to notice the last sentence.

I will give this a shot, thank you.

Archived